• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah sorry, nub is a stupid iteration of noob that stems from newb which is the child of newbie. I need to stop using it :)

On the sub, new guys were NUBs.
    Non
    Useable
    Body.

In other words, they were breathing our oxygen (a concern on a sub), but providing no useable output.
    They had to qualify on anything, before they could operate it.

Done rambling. Noobs use oxygen, but no big deal now.

mhodge87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Goshen
    I carry a Walther P99 and it has no external safety. I carry it with one in the chamber, but do carry it in DA mode as I feel as though the SA trigger is to light for my comfort level, especially with the adrenaline in a self defense scenario.

As others have mentioned in this thread, I'd strongly suggest carrying with one in the chamber. Considering one should always treat a gun as if it is loaded, there shouldn't be a difference in how you handle the gun between one in the chamber and one without.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Okay even when pocket carrying I have one in the pipe. ALWAYS ALWAYS.. Now to calm your Fears.. If you carry your gun in a decent holster.. That you can also remove the gun out of quickly but secures the gun safely.. The gun Should never go off.. Why do i say should because. I have never had a gun go off well by itself with out some sort of manipulation.

The holster acts as a trigger guard. I do not like guns with safeties just one more silly thing that could go wrong.. or forget to turn off when the moment demands it... After all with the split second you have to react.. Do you really want to have to worry about is my safety on, and no boom when you pull the trigger or try to pull the trigger?

Or pull the trigger and no boom..

If you are going to carry why carry with out one in the pipe.. You might do yourself a favor and not carry..

Bugoutbob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    South Bend
    So, New Year of 2000, I was at my ex's house trying to patch things up and also hang out with some friends. She didn't live in the best neighborhood, but it wasn't horrible. After chatting with a few friends, I noticed she had disappeared, so I thought I'd go find her. I walked outside to find her chatting with some random dude, who decided to pull a gun on me. You see, he was drunk and his cousin was flipping out in the front yard from drugs and alcohol and the gun wielding dude thought I was coming down to mess with his cousin.

So there I stand, cigarette in hand, Sig 2022 WITHOUT a round chambered in my IWB holster, trying to talk this scum down, that I was not there to cause trouble. Then, they all came at me...

I got out... I don't know how... But I know I was on the edge that night. Never again have I carried without one chambered. Guns are made to carried safely with a round in the chamber, don't over think it. I was lucky, but I'm not relying on just luck again...

Last edited:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have a Sig 1911 ultra compact. When I carry it, there usually isn't one in the chamber. My main reason for not having one in the chamber is because I often have it in my purse around my mom who has Alzheimer's or sometimes my grandson.

I would never want to take a chance that either of them might find my purse and my gun.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    So, New Year of 2000, I was at my ex's house trying to patch things up and also hang out with some friends. She didn't live in the best neighborhood, but it wasn't horrible. After chatting with a few friends, I noticed she had disappeared, so I thought I'd go find her. I walked outside to find her chatting with some random dude, who decided to pull a gun on me. You see, he was drunk and his cousin was flipping out in the front yard from drugs and alcohol and the gun wielding dude thought I was coming down to mess with his cousin.

So there I stand, cigarette in hand, Sig 2022 WITHOUT a round chambered in my IWB holster, trying to talk this scum down, that I was not there to cause trouble. Then, they all came at me...

I got out... I don't know how... But I know I was on the edge that night. Never again have I carried without one chambered. Guns are made to carried safely with a round in the chamber, don't over think it. I was lucky, but I'm not relying on just luck again...
    I might be missing the point, but are you saying that it would be best, if at a drunk party that you would have been better off if you could have shot them quicker?

Seems to me that how you were carrying in this scenario was not the point. However, how you handeled some drunks in this situation was the point.

Or am I missing something?

toddcraft33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Camby
    Even if you carry without one in the pipe the gun is still loaded, because rule #1 says so. You might as well carry with a full mag and one in the hole. No matter how you carry, it should always be treated the same.

Bugoutbob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    South Bend
    I might be missing the point, but are you saying that it would be best, if at a drunk party that you would have been better off if you could have shot them quicker?

Seems to me that how you were carrying in this scenario was not the point. However, how you handeled some drunks in this situation was the point.

Or am I missing something?

Sorry, was a late night post, I can tend to ramble. I was just saying that the situation was hugely dangerous, drunk with a gun and mob of people trying to beat the crap out of me and I was not prepared. (No round in the chamber.) I was lucky to get out alive and if I was in that situation again, I would not hesitate to defend myself with force and guarantee (not rely on luck) I would make it out alive. What stopped me from doing that at the time was that I knew I could not draw, chamber and fire before I would be shot. (I had not been drinking at the time and had my wits about me still.)

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Sorry, was a late night post, I can tend to ramble. I was just saying that the situation was hugely dangerous, drunk with a gun and mob of people trying to beat the crap out of me and I was not prepared. (No round in the chamber.) I was lucky to get out alive and if I was in that situation again, I would not hesitate to defend myself with force and guarantee (not rely on luck) I would make it out alive. What stopped me from doing that at the time was that I knew I could not draw, chamber and fire before I would be shot. (I had not been drinking at the time and had my wits about me still.)

Very unfortunate that you weren't as prepared as you could have been. As a side note, glad you made it out alive though :yesway:

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    4. Your understanding of modern firearm mechanics

Correct, I am not a gunsmith. Guess you got me on that one.....It disappoints me that there are so many people who are of the belief that those who choose to carry non +1 are somehow morons and don't know anything about guns.

Not too long ago there was the story about a cop who got hugged from behind and the woman doing the hugging died.

Accidents happen.

People should never do more than they are comfortable with. I do carry +1 myself but I certainly wouldn't encourage someone who isn't comfortable with it to do it before they're ready.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom