• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Yet another sad result of immaturity and lack of gun safety training.

One dead in shooting
    near Purdue

21-year old man killed

Updated: Sunday, 23 Aug 2009, 6:52 AM EDT
    Published : Saturday, 22 Aug 2009, 10:57 PM EDT
    WEST LAFAYETTE (WISH) - West Lafayette police say a 21-year old man is dead, after he was shot by a friend.

The shooting happened around 7 o'clock Saturday night in the 200 block of Wiggins Street, just off Purdue's campus.

Police say William Calderon and Corey Lynch were playing a joke and pointing guns at their 21-year old friend. Officers say that's when Lynch's gun accidentally went off, and the victim was shot in the throat. Medics rushed the victim to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
    Lynch now faces charges of reckless homicide. Calderon faces charges for pointing a firearm.
    Police have not released the name of the victim, but say they do not believe he was a student at Purdue.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Stupidity knows no bounds.

Unfortunately this will do nothing but bolster the premise that the anti-gun tries to espouse, that guns kill people:xmad:
    This will also make it MUCH more difficult to convince people that LAW ABIDING citizens SHOULD be allowed to carry on campus.
    I'd bet now, the next person that shows up on Purdue's campus with an empty holster is going to cause calls to the Purdue Police.

This is a tragedy in more than one aspect.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    I might add that this was at a party with young people drinking booze and being negligent with a firearm. A tragedy true, thats why we need to educate our children on firearm safety.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I wish public education could/would have SOME firearm safety education, but they're too busy teaching kids how to put on condoms,that the USA is evil, etc.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I wish public education could/would have SOME firearm safety education, but they're too busy teaching kids how to put on condoms,that the USA is evil, etc.

Bingo! And Rep's for that!

Big brother wants to teach our kids how to have sex without catching an STD, but ignore the fact that better education is ALWAYS a plus! If kids were taught the dangers involved with improper firearms usage, we would not be seeing these stories in the news, because they wouldn't be happening!

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    This will also be trotted out at the next campus carry debate. I have no doubt at all that the victim not being a student will be conveniently forgotten. I wonder if Lynch and Calderon were students.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Unbelievable! Why would someone point a loaded gun at anyone to be funny????

I can think of several reasons....none of which are funny.

1) Intoxication (doesn't mix with firearms)
    2) Have not been taught, or are not following basic firearms safety (may be a result of #1)
    3) They weren't really trying to be funny...guns don't "accidently go off" all by themselves. Accidental discharges do happen, but someone or something has to cause the hammer to drop or striker to move. They don't just do that on their own.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I can think of several reasons....none of which are funny.

1) Intoxication (doesn't mix with firearms)
    2) Have not been taught, or are not following basic firearms safety (may be a result of #1)
    3) They weren't really trying to be funny...guns don't "accidentally go off" all by themselves. Accidental discharges do happen, but someone or something has to cause the hammer to drop or striker to move. They don't just do that on their own.

Precisely! It was an act of negligent and reckless homicide; they used actual firearms, pointed the firearms at an identified target and pulled the trigger on a live round. All firearms are always loaded, unless verified safe and clear by a knowledgeable person.

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Well this will definately make the right wing anti gun nuts day. This type of stupidity gives every responsible gun owner a black eye and should anger those who practice good safe firearms practices.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If the luck hadn't run out they could all three be right here posting this evening about how they have every right to drink and carry, OC in to any bar they want to and drink, what a great training aid it is to play around in their apartment dry firing and quick drawing and that its almost as good as a trip to a real shooting range.

Only differences between these morons and the one who haven't had their name in the news yet is just luck.

A week ago they would be standing in the crowd mocking me with the rest of you.

http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

Now you can go back to your poining in front of the tv, practicing quick draws in front of the mirror and popping your snap caps with your bros and tell me all about your swat team practice and olympic training, how your granma said this or that and you always did something in the military.

Kinda like those two live morons and the dead moron would have a week ago.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Precisely! It was an act of negligent and reckless homicide; they used actual firearms, pointed the firearms at an identified target and pulled the trigger on a live round. All firearms are always loaded, unless verified safe and clear by a knowledgeable person.

All firearms are always loaded. PERIOD.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    All firearms are always loaded. PERIOD.
    Fine lol, we will play military semantics... All firearms are loaded; however, some weapons are HOT while others are CLEAR upon being verified by the clearing barrel official :D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom