• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I'm taking a guess that they ASSUMED the gun was not loaded and were joking around. Happens too often where people will later say I know it was unloaded I have no idea how it got loaded, and it really doesn't matter your friend is dead.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    They are until verified by a knowledgeable person! We trained with blanks using BFA's in the military once the weapon was verified safe and clear by the clearing barrel official. Firearms are ALWAYS loaded until verified!

Yeah yeah yeah, heard a million times on dozens of gun boards.

ALWAYS loaded until verified! Then they are unloaded until some jerk off moron kills some one with one of those "verified" guns. Keep your "verified" guns pointed in your own direction and we'll never know we ever met each other.

All firearms are always loaded. PERIOD. That's how any firearm I ever notice pointed at me or mine will be treated, as a loaded threat.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Yeah yeah yeah, heard a million times on dozens of gun boards.

ALWAYS loaded until verified! Then they are unloaded until some jerk off moron kills some one with one of those "verified" guns. Keep your "verified" guns pointed in your own direction and we'll never know we ever met each other.

All firearms are always loaded. PERIOD. That's how any firearm I ever notice pointed at me or mine will be treated, as a loaded threat.

We had those procedures in place to prevent a HOT weapon from being mixed in with the CLEARED weapons. Granted, clearing barrels may seem like a joke to some... but safety is paramount IMHO :twocents: The whole process of having the armorer and the MP both verifying the weapon to be clear and then going to the clearing barrel to once again be inspected and cleared may be tedious; however, it was necessary.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Alcohol and guns don't mix, so they will try to ban guns.

Alcohol and driving motor vehicles don't mix...people don't get this either.

Tragidy results from both but laws can't prevent stupidity. Unfortunately.

My heart goes out for the dead person's family.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Alcohol and guns don't mix, so they will try to ban guns.

Alcohol and driving motor vehicles don't mix...people don't get this either.

Tragedy results from both but laws can't prevent stupidity. Unfortunately.

My heart goes out for the dead person's family.

Right on the money :+1:

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    If the luck hadn't run out they could all three be right here posting this evening about how they have every right to drink and carry, OC in to any bar they want to and drink, what a great training aid it is to play around in their apartment dry firing and quick drawing and that its almost as good as a trip to a real shooting range.

Only differences between these morons and the one who haven't had their name in the news yet is just luck.

A week ago they would be standing in the crowd mocking me with the rest of you.

Now you can go back to your poining in front of the tv, practicing quick draws in front of the mirror and popping your snap caps with your bros and tell me all about your swat team practice and olympic training, how your granma said this or that and you always did something in the military.

Kinda like those two live morons and the dead moron would have a week ago.
    Wow you really don't waste an opportunity to tell anyone who practices they are a moron, do you Jack? This unfortunate event is a clear violation of rule 2. This shooting and other negligent discharges are caused by gun owners not following the rules. The inability of some gun owners to be safe should not condemn the rest, any more than some gang bangers' decision to murder should reflect on the community as a whole. Either admit others can and will make their own decisions and live with the consequences or go write your check to Bloomberg. I refuse to accept that I can't practice without driving an hour to the range.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Alcohol and guns, cars, fireworks, & hormones never mix. If it wasn't for all that evil booze we wouldn't have DUIs, missing fingers, & VD! Of course without alcohol we would miss out on all of those girl gone wild videos. Seriously though I went to Purdue, I threw parties, I drank a lot of beer and whiskey, we had a lot of guns in the apartment, we all carried handguns. What we did not do was ever have loaded guns in proximity to liquor. People need to use common sense and take responsibility for their own actions. Horrible tragedy that will unfortunately be used against us. And the the worst part is rules or training proably would not have prevented it, this is an example of a lack of judgement.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    How many of you saw the Ohio State Police videos in school? These videos showed graphic car accidents and tried to get kids to think about the dangers of unsafe driving.
    Why not have something similar with guns?
    Now I know those videos never had an impact on "MY" driving but maybe it did on someones.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I hate when I read or hear "the gun accidentally went off." It did not accidentally go off, someone accidentally pulled the trigger. I heard this on a tv show my girlfriend was watching and I read it here. It's not the gun, it's the irresponsible handler.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I do think hunting education classes in public education would help. I am willing to bet that these guys had never even heard the principles that a gun is always loaded and you NEVER point it at anything that you don't intend to really shoot.

They watch too much TV to be sure. I was cleaning my guns one day while my brother and his girlfriend were over. She was curious and asking questions which I was happy answer. She asked if she could hold one of my pistols, so I handed her one that I just finished cleaning and the very first thing she did was to mimic the "gangsta" hold and point it at my brother. I grabbed her hand, righted the gun angle and pointed it down. My brother and I both verbally jumped on her about a gun is always treated as loaded and you NEVER point a gun for any reason at anything you aren't wanting to shoot.

It definitely caught her attention. She looked at it for a bit more and handed it back. I don't think she had ever heard that before. Hopefully if she ever encountered that situation again, she would be better informed.

But it goes to show that a lack of familiarity due to not having one in the house, can be more dangerous than owning a gun.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Do you really think a class on firearms safety would have prevented this?
    Depends on who's teaching the class. I imagine a few involved parents teaching their own kids from early childhood and backing up those lessons with severe (though far less severe than this story tells) consequences would definitely have prevented this.

Some of the members here have had "classes" like that. Some have had the more formal kind. Some have had none at all. No one who takes the Four Rules to heart and practices them unfailingly has had this kind of incident happen.

I agree with Jack that ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded. No ifs, ands, or buts, and no "treat all guns as if" :bs:. All guns. Always. If you think of the Four Rules as carved in stone and without exceptions, you cannot, by definition, have either a ND or an AD.

With all that said, I disagree on the point of practice. Speaking for myself, I tend to practice Appleseed positions with a stock and sling. No action, barrel, or chamber. I consider this safe. (duh) I've done dry fire pistol practice as well, not on a range. My chamber is checked multiple times. I use a snap cap, and I ensure that there is no ammo available. Even with those precautions, I aim in a direction such that a live round somehow magically getting into my pistol would not go in a direction where there is another living being capable of being injured by it.

Back to the original topic, yes, these rectal orifices will now make life much harder on those of us wanting to extend gun rights to cover students and employees of state universities. I have seen nothing to indicate that the idiots were LTCH holders. I do know that one comment in the newspaper today commented that a pistol was not required for any classes on campus and just couldn't fathom why someone would even bring it. The logic that a car is not needed for any classes, that insurance is not needed for any classes, and that condoms and the knowledge of the location of every bar on the West Side of the river are not needed for any classes is lost on them. Similarly is it lost on them that accidents do happen, however sad they are, and nothing can prevent them, that's why they're called "accidents". There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I hate when I read or hear "the gun accidentally went off." It did not accidentally go off, someone accidentally pulled the trigger. I heard this on a tv show my girlfriend was watching and I read it here. It's not the gun, it's the irresponsible handler.

Close, but sorry, no. It's not that someone accidentally pulled the trigger. Someone negligently pulled the trigger.

Blessings,
    Bill

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    People die of random stupid things all the time. Just this time it involved the evil gun and devil booze. So its going to get hyped up beyond recognition because this incident will help interior motives of anti-gun people and A.A. Meetings.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    People die of random stupid things all the time. Just this time it involved the evil gun and devil booze. So its going to get hyped up beyond recognition because this incident will help interior motives of anti-gun people and A.A. Meetings.

I don't have a problem with the AA meetings. Those folks do what they do by their own choice. Anti-gunners want to impose their choices on everyone else. Big difference, IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom