• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    education has nothing to do with common sense or reasonability.

If you're a structural engineer, are you going to take advise for your building from youtube comments?

There's a certain point where the person arguing with you is so clueless on the topic that reasoning with them is pointless. This tends to go both ways in politics.

Common sense brings us 30 caliber magazine clips that fire 30 rounds per half second from ghost guns. I really dislike that term.

This is why it's always hilarious to watch a creationist try to debate a biologist. It's like watching a liberal try to debate a gun owner.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

I suspect Republican scientists rarely self identify because of the discrimination they would be sure to encounter in their workplaces if they did. On a humorous note (albeit containing more than a small amount of truth), scientists are one of the two groups that rely almost entirely upon government grants for their subsistence - and both groups are largely comprised of Democrats. :)

OldHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    ^^^winner. Books smarts don't mean you have a clue how to best run the country. Scientists are highly educated. Educational institutions are highly liberal...see the link?

And expertise in one area doesn't say anything about your expertise in another. Part of the problem with too many educated people is that they think they are smarter than everyone less educated rather than just better educated in their field. And I have a PhD in a STEM field, and this is observation on my part.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    "Paging Mr. Shooter. Mr. Shooter, please pick up the brown courtesy phone."

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Blanket statements again? Okay, I'll play.. and Conservatives are so bass ackwards that they can't even put forth a candidate that their own party will vote for...

Maybe, but Democrats don't ever put up a candidate that their party won't vote for...of course there is no candidate that their party won't vote for. So which group is worse?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    About three weeks ago, I saw a car with this bumper sticker..."Obama 2016"

It was next to the Obama 2012 and Obama 08 stickers.

A male was driving it.

The car was a clunker.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    About three weeks ago, I saw a car with this bumper sticker..."Obama 2016"

It was next to the Obama 2012 and Obama 08 stickers.

A male was driving it.

The car was a clunker.

There is still time to repeal the 22nd amendment. I wouldn't put it past the current admin to try it.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

Gotta throw the BS flag.
    ref_throwing_flag.png

I've got 30 years working with engineers and scientists all over the country and in other countries. That's total BS. Their "poll" must have been done at a university.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Gotta throw the BS flag.
    ref_throwing_flag.png

I've got 30 years working with engineers and scientists all over the country and in other countries. That's total BS. Their "poll" must have been done at a university.

But those people can't be scientists because they aren't members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, who the Pew Research center partnered with to do the survey...and whose members were the primary source of data.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    But those people can't be scientists because they aren't members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, who the Pew Research center partnered with to do the survey...and whose members were the primary source of data.

Ah! I got it now. My mistake.

I would - seriously now - make it clear that a good number of scientists (the real ones, that work, not university profs with tenure) are independent. It's just how we do things, you remember, think for ourselves. There's a good number of them that are fiscally conservative even though they may be socially liberal. BUT I would say the vast - VAST - majority of the ones I know and work with are fiscally conservative and keep the rest to their own business.

Top Bottom