• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Wonder what everyone thinks about them? Was thinking about picking up one of the Plinker Pluses, no frills. Fixed A1 carry handle sight, looks to be fixed stock.

I will basically use this in palce of my mini 14 for SHTF and varmit hunting. I have read mixed reviews online. Some guys love them and have no issues and some say don't waste the money.

21St Century has some good prices so I wanted some opinions. I don't ahve a bunch to put into a higher dollar brand.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    The dust cover on mine will not stay closed and it is super-sensitive to case size when I've used reloads.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I like mine.

My general impression is that Olympic generally gives good value for the money. Their upper level rifles are usually about $100-200 less than comparable rifles from other companies. Same thing is true for their middle and lower end rifles.

Olympic's name has taken a bit of a hit for three reasons (none justified in my opinion)
    1 - some years ago, they made some rifles with cast rather than forged receivers. There were some problems with this, so they don't make them any more. Still, whenever anyone brings up Olympic on any forum, someone is going to chime in and say you shouldn't buy one because cast receivers suck.
    2- Olympic does make some rifles on the lower/economy end of the price range. They are generally as good or better than other economy/low end rifles, but in some people's minds, making economy priced rifles "cheapens" the brand compared to other companies that only make expensive rifles.
    3 - Olympic's Stainless Ultra Match barrels have tight specs which contributes to accuracy, but can cause problems when you're shooting random Polish Navy Surplus ammo. If you want to shoot Polish Navy Surplus ammo, don't buy a match rifle. They do make other kinds of barrels that are more suitable for random ammo. If you are looking at one of the lower priced Olympics, you don't need to worry about this because it won't have a SUM barrel.

The only meaningful downside to an Olympic would be if you want to sell it, you will be facing a market full of ill-informed people who think there's something wrong with Olympics. As long as you keep the rifle, you can just enjoy having a nice firearm that gave good value and service for what you spent on it.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I sell hundreds of them a year with absolutely no problems. My main M4 is Olympic and I trust it more than my Colts, Bushmasters, Daniel Defense and CMMG.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Are they the jerks that made the 7.62x39 pistol years ago that prompted the immediate ban on all the cheap steel core surplus ammo because it then became an armor piercing pistol round?

http://www.thegunzone.com/762x39.html

Anyone remember when you could buy 1440 round cases of the stuff for $79 at any gun show? Come in with a hand cart and leave with enough to shoot for years and not break the bank.

Last edited:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Are they the jerks that made the 7.62x39 pistol years ago that prompted the immediate ban on all the cheap steel core surplus ammo because it then became an armor piercing pistol round?

http://www.thegunzone.com/762x39.html

Anyone remember when you could buy 1440 round cases of the stuff for $79 at any gun show? Come in with a hand cart and leave with enough to shoot for years and not break the bank.

Olympic makes a gun.
    Someone makes a dumb legal interpretation that causes a lot of needless cost and inconvenience for gun owners.
    Therefore, gun owners should be mad at Olympic.

I do not suggest turning this in as your term project in Formal Logical Reasoning.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    How is the K-16 different from plinker plus? I think the PP is in my price range. I am mostly worried about accurracy and durability....the collapsible stock, upgraded sights and such I can do as I get more money.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    :ar15:
    I have a Oly Arms K16 and love it.
    It has a 16" bull barrel and flat top receiver and free floating handguard - she shoots dead on with no fuss. I use it for plinking fun but she can easily be adapted to a CQB rifle.

Top Bottom