• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I can't speak for other areas of the state but I've seen as many or more deer this year as years past. Lost count at 60+ deer in a soybean field, that is adjacent to my property in late August.

Just got home from Thanksgiving in north central part of state and saw LOTS of road kills all the way up and back. Seen several (live) while driving at night.

:dunno:

Can I get an exclusive lease on that field? :)

jiggypete

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Just got back from land in Parke county. Didn't see any deer, but lots of scrapes and prints. We did get a couple shots at coyote today, but never connected. Maybe late season will be better.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I witnessed a lot of deer activity two weeks before archery season, similar to Bosshoss' experience. Also, much activity with a lot of bucks the week before gun season came in. I'm pretty sure the deer around me have learned how to read the calendar and DNR hunting guide. :):

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Heading out tomorrow. Taking a book with me. That is what kept me in a blind two years ago and I shot my best buck ever. Thought the property was shot out. First a six, then an eight came out. Was lining up on the 8 when big boy ran out. Change of plans!!!!! Dads Buck 2013.jpg

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Got this guy today!
    1FD3FA1D-EFE6-465B-B135-8159DB0695CF.jpg

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Skunked again in Owen county this afternoon. First time in three years that I haven't had at least two in freezer by end of gun season. I've only seen one deer in the past two weeks. Granted, he was a big boy and I wasn't ready, but have not been this far behind in quite a while. Another hunter who hunts same property as I do said same thing, there just are not any deer out there. No does, no bucks, nothing....

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Skunked again in Owen county this afternoon. First time in three years that I haven't had at least two in freezer by end of gun season. I've only seen one deer in the past two weeks. Granted, he was a big boy and I wasn't ready, but have not been this far behind in quite a while. Another hunter who hunts same property as I do said same thing, there just are not any deer out there. No does, no bucks, nothing....

I also hunt Owen county. I've seen a few deer but not like normal. I have shot 1 doe who was running from the neighbors opening morning.

During the rut I had a few what I will call "small shooters"...the ones you pass opening day and wish you shot after the last day...on camera but now that over. In the past 9 days, I don't have 1 deer on 2 separate cameras! I don't know what's up but this property normally is crawling with deer.

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Thanks, yeah my father in law got the dog. I'll start in on them pretty hard now too, they're a blast to hunt.

Crappiepro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    North East Vigo County
    Lots of late corn in the fields in Parke county in Archery and then heavy pressure of gun season really slowed down my total number's this year so far. I did take a nice 10pt in Vigo county with the 20ga slug gun though.

Attachments

• 2014 10pt Buck (WinCE).jpeg
      2014 10pt Buck (WinCE).jpeg
      10.4 KB · Views: 39

rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    Tagged a doe today around 1:00 pm while still hunting tri county. My first day out on public land. Decided that midday would be the best chance to stalk deer without bumping into someone in a stand. It payed off!

View attachment 33579

Shot her with a 44 mag leverevolution. Unfortunately, it quartered out through her gut. Did not find blood within 20 yards. I found the deer (after hearing her crash land) and then followed the blood trail to the path I shot her from. Mysteriously, the entrance wound is 3 times the size of the exit wound. Maybe since I shot through some brush?

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    Congrats rabidsquirrel, sure looks like a long forehead on doe.
    I also got a doe this morning. Still waiting on a nice buck, hopefully next weekend with muzzle loader.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Finally got a deer at Morgan Monroe yesterday. My first on public land. Found a nice spot after trying several over the last... oh eight years, I guess... got my climber stand up at about 3:30 and right on cue at 4:00 come three does... being cautious, waiting for each other, but not letting any grass grow... I saw them about coming about 100 yards off and dialed my scope for higher power. The the lead doe (the largest one) stopped behind a couple big trees to wait, then proceeds to head right toward me. Crap. Quickly, I dialed the magnification out of my scope and waited for a good angle and clear shot on the lead doe, which is about 35 yards from my stand, and still moving. I was following her in my scope and as I was twisting to my left and behind me I got a good view of the front of the chest, at about a 45 degree angle - perfect - and pulled the trigger. BAM, and down she goes, then right back up and I chamber another round. The two lead deer high-tail it behind me and down the hill of the steep ridge. The last small doe went back the way she came... I though about taking a shot at her but now she 100 yards away and not at a good angle, headed the wrong direction.

I knew I had a good shot and she couldn't have gone far. I quickly texted my wife and climbed down. I went to the spot where she fell and found bright red spatter, a good sign, and followed the trail... I found her just out of sight from my stand, about 40 yards from where she was hit, before she got to the steepest part of the downhill. Other than hitting her in the joint between the shoulder blade and the first leg bone, a couple inches behind the aim point, the bullet appeared to have passed though both lungs and the heart, exiting the ribcage behind leg on her right side. After seeing the entrance wound and the destroyed shoulder, I don't know how she got back up. Pure adrenaline, I guess.

I walked along the road 1/2 mile back to my car and parked it at the bottom of the steep ridge... and for a change I got to drag a deer down hill.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... I believe that the checked deer numbers dropped significantly the first year they went to the online check-in. I think 48 hours to check-in a deer is unnecessary too. Too many people who think if they can get the deer home without getting caught, since you only need a hand written transport tag, just put them in the freezer and head back out...

... I agree though that the online check in is stupid. It is way too easy to cheat with this system. Shooting with a gun during bow season and checking in online, etc. Especially if you process your own and just take the head and cape in to the taxidermist for mounting....

Do you folks have any evidence or just suspicion that the online check in system is contributing to poaching?
    Any idea if this might actually change back to the old system?

The online check in system benefits me greatly as I mostly hunt hiking distance from my residence and butcher my own. With the system as is, my harvests don't have to go through the extra step of going into a vehicle at all. The closest check in stations to me are +/- 20 miles away.

My experience with check in stations in the past has been poor. On top of the time and money spent to drive to the station, there is often waiting involved for a less than caring individual to finish clearing a checkout line of grocery, smokes, gas and lotto ticket buyers.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Do you folks have any evidence or just suspicion that the online check in system is contributing to poaching?
    Any idea if this might actually change back to the old system?

The online check in system benefits me greatly as I mostly hunt hiking distance from my residence and butcher my own. With the system as is, my harvests don't have to go through the extra step of going into a vehicle at all. The closest check in stations to me are +/- 20 miles away.

My comment was based on speculation and conversations I have had with others in our area. We heard gun shots often during archery season and while it could have been coyote hunters or other reasons for those shots, it also could easily be someone shooting a deer and checking it in online where nobody would ever see the bullet hole. We hear gun shots in our area on a frequent basis all year round. There are many farmers with depredation tags that are used outside of hunting season so that also accounts for some of the shots heard. This year was the first year that we used the online check in for our deer, and it just seemed to me that a dishonest person could falsify information pretty easily if they were so inclined.

We hunt our own property and process our own deer so it was much easier for us as well. I understand the convenience factor, but I feel it would be easy for someone to shoot a buck and check it in as a doe to keep their buck tag open for later or lie about the manner in which it was killed. Just too many things that can be done online that can't be misrepresented when physically checking in the animal.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have been to some check in places where the person wouldn't notice how you killed it.

I think the only thing they would notice is antlered vs antlerless.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    I have been to some check in places where the person wouldn't notice how you killed it.

I think the only thing they would notice is antlered vs antlerless.

I can vouch for this. I checked one in two years ago and the girl came out to the truck and said "Yep, it's a doe" and handed me my stuff.
    The deer was in the back of my suburban in a tarp with nothing but the head hanging out.

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    I've been to check in stations where nobody even went outside to check the deer. They just took my word for it, I wasn't from the area either so it's not like anyone knew me. I do believe that the online check in can make a dishonest person more dishonest, but does anybody think that someone that uses a firearm during archery season actually has enough of a conscience to check it in online?

It's just like the argument of gun control, criminals don't care about the law. The online check in simply makes life more convenient for the honest folks. As far as shooting going on at surrounding properties, don't assume that they are all poaching deer. My BIL's family has property, but none of them hunt, they target shoot, but yeah, a couple of slug blasts during archery season seems suspicious, and I hear them all the time.

The old rules had flaws, the new rules have flaws. What should be done? I don't know, what works for me might not work for you. I'm more old school, so I favor rules that reflect that. I don't like crossbows, but my hunting buddy has one and loves it. He pays taxes just like I do.

I was in the woods all weekend, didn't see a deer. I've been out several weekends throughout the season, saw some, but still no deer for me on what is/was good property. So the numbers are down where I am, I want the quota lowered, others may not.

Top Bottom