• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I liked the old check in system.
    If offered lots of good stories and some awesome deer came in................while hanging out waiting to
    get ours metal tagged. The BS sessions................reminds me of similar fun, when waiting in line for hrs on a dove draw.

Sometimes I think convenience/speeding things up...............makes folks miss out.

Spending hrs and days afield, and then hurry hurry at the end..............seems a bit of a clash.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Xbow, reg rifle, instant check..................catering to the immediate gratification crowd.

I dunno, I have all kinds of other pressures..................when it comes to my hunting, I'd like to drag it out as long as possible............

Hell, I've driven all the way to Winamac, just to loba couple of arrows into the sand pit. Took a lunch, spent most of the day just checking things out.
    Got what I needed done.................but slowed everything way down and ENJOYED my time away from work and family.

It was a great day. Probably $40 in gas................worth way more than that.

Instead of cramming more in, I'll just savor what I have.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I liked the old check in system.
    If offered lots of good stories and some awesome deer came in................while hanging out waiting to
    get ours metal tagged. The BS sessions................reminds me of similar fun, when waiting in line for hrs on a dove draw.

Sometimes I think convenience/speeding things up...............makes folks miss out.

Spending hrs and days afield, and then hurry hurry at the end..............seems a bit of a clash.

Xbow, reg rifle, instant check..................catering to the immediate gratification crowd.

I dunno, I have all kinds of other pressures..................when it comes to my hunting, I'd like to drag it out as long as possible............

Hell, I've driven all the way to Winamac, just to loba couple of arrows into the sand pit. Took a lunch, spent most of the day just checking things out.
    Got what I needed done.................but slowed everything way down and ENJOYED my time away from work and family.

It was a great day. Probably $40 in gas................worth way more than that.

Instead of cramming more in, I'll just savor what I have.

Can you not still do all of this?

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    Oh I'm with you Hook, we have way more in common than not. When I had relatives up north we would draw at the Kank FWA for some duck hunting. I loved standing around in the parking lot or inside once it opened, listening to and telling stories, same with the check in stations. Some of the best stories I tell today happened 20 years ago while standing around those places.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Oh I'm with you Hook, we have way more in common than not. When I had relatives up north we would draw at the Kank FWA for some duck hunting. I loved standing around in the parking lot or inside once it opened, listening to and telling stories, same with the check in stations. Some of the best stories I tell today happened 20 years ago while standing around those places.

I appreciate the sentiment. Let's go have a hunt story telling dinner.
    In the mean time, can I continue to get my harvest from field to freezer in the most efficient, economic, proper food handling and respectful way?

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    I appreciate the sentiment. Let's go have a hunt story telling dinner.
    In the mean time, can I continue to get my harvest from field to freezer in the most efficient, economic, proper food handling and respectful way?

No disrespect, I know you are a long time and well respected member of this forum, but I think I echoed that sentiment in my post previous to the one you quoted.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No disrespect, I know you are a long time and well respected member of this forum, but I think I echoed that sentiment in my post previous to the one you quoted.

Oh, I wasn't countering your post. Just offering an alternative to us being forced to go back to the old inefficient system, just so we can stand in a parking lot to reminisce the hunt.

rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    Just learned today from the local friendly CO that a Firearm Residential License cannot be used to take an antlerless deer. Everything I know is now a lie. Am I the only fool that thought you could take either antlered or antlerless with a firearm license?

Apparently I may be in deep doo doo. Failure to have a license, misdemeanor offense, huge fee. Feel like crawling into a hole...

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Just learned today from the local friendly CO that a Firearm Residential License cannot be used to take an antlerless deer. Everything I know is now a lie. Am I the only fool that thought you could take either antlered or antlerless with a firearm license?

Apparently I may be in deep doo doo. Failure to have a license, misdemeanor offense, huge fee. Feel like crawling into a hole...
    Been like this for a while.. If you want to shoot a doe, do what either what I used to do (license+bonus anterless too), or what I do now (bundle license).

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

I found that out last year as well after a follow up call from the CO checking on my "pistol" kill with a .300BLK. Growing up I remember it being 1 license = 1 deer and made the mistake of not keeping up with the regs. In my case he wrote me a ticket for the offense of hunting without a license (which I debated with him, since I did have a license, just not the right one), and said it was up to the local court to decide if they enforced the ticket or not. I also asked him why I had to pay for 2x licenses (standard firearms license and a "Bonus" antlerless) to harvest 1 deer, and that I thought that was pretty shady of the state to do. I also said I felt like the definition of "Bonus" was also misleading, since it isn't in fact a "bonus" or "extra" deer if you only harvest 1 animal.

He did mention that they'd had some issues in the past with some confusion but reminded me it was my responsibility each year to make sure I was up on the hunting regulations, and I couldn't argue with that. I felt like you and wanted to crawl in a hole. Other than a speeding ticket in college I'd never been "on the wrong side of the law" so was pissed at myself more than anything. Fortunately the county judge / court didn't enforce the ticket and so it was never actually an issue. Add to that I knew of some folks that illegally took deer (I didn't snitch), and that we had a tree stand stolen off our property, I felt like it wasn't fair that I was the one that got a call from the CO. But, such is life and in the end it worked out ok.

Hope things work out ok with you!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Regarding some of the comments around online check-in, I like the system and think it is convenient, especially with many local "check in" stations now being closed. There literally aren't any in close proximity to where I live and hunt, so having to check in the old way would mean a pretty good drive out of the way (and perhaps out of the county) these days. Yeah, it was always kinda fun to hang out at the check in stations and see all the deer come in, and hear the stories. But now I get the same thing when I take my deer to the local locker for processing.

As far is it leading to more illegal game being taken, I can't say that I have any evidence either way. I think it may make it a bit easier for the dishonest to be dishonest, but in reality even with the old system, the only real chance of getting caught is on the drive home or coming out of the woods. If a guy was going to poach or use an illegal weapon, he sure as heck wasn't going to take the chance of getting caught at the check in station.

The thing I hear about more and more around our place is guys going out "glassing." I'm sure this has been going on forever, just like guys would poach by spotlighting. The "glassers" drive around the country side with binocs and look for a big buck, hoping the activity of the season gets them up and moving. Once they spot them in the field, they put a long range gun on the hood of the truck, and take the shot, then dash in and get the deer, and right back out. A nice buck was shot not far from our woods last year by someone doing that. Irony was I heard him bragging about it and he showed me some pictures. I asked where he killed it and he described a place not far from our property that I'm 99% sure he didn't have permission to hunt. Then he sheepishly mentioned "yeah, not too far from where you hunt....there are some good bucks down there."

Again, nothing new, but I've heard a lot more guys bragging about doing it. To me that says that they've realized that unless you happen to be set up or have someone snitch on you, it is pretty unlikely the CO is going to bust you for it. There just are too many miles of back roads out there for a CO or sheriff's deputy to realistically patrol. And usually by the time you report someone for trespassing they are long gone and not much can be done about it.

rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    Thanks for the input jblomenberg16. My initial reaction was to quit playing the game if I can't understand the rules (like a kid throwing a tantrum). I'll just have to take this as hard knock lesson and not beat myself up for it. I'm not giving up hunting anytime soon.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    IMO. Poacher will poach no matter the rules. Why would someone intentionally check in a deer online falsely. Why check it in at all. I think the online checkin is great and makes checking in deer more convenient for us honest folks. I also think the quota should be lowered as well. I personally would like to see doe quota decreased and maybe a draw for a second buck and maybe even a preference point system for that draw. These are just my opinions and I don't expect anyone to agree with them.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Thanks for the input jblomenberg16. My initial reaction was to quit playing the game if I can't understand the rules (like a kid throwing a tantrum). I'll just have to take this as hard knock lesson and not beat myself up for it. I'm not giving up hunting anytime soon.

Honest mistake. I asked the clerk at wal mart this question a few years ago and he answered me incorrectly. I asked my local CO and he gave me the correct answer. There are several well informed people on here. Don't be afraid to ask questions here...I guarantee you'll get the right answer.(or at least pointed in the right direction).

datIANguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2014
    Colfax
    I finally got to tag one this year. I wasn't sure how the check-in thing worked. I like the ease of just calling a number but I did want to find out what it was like to physically check in. Maybe if I can finally see another one and get a shot off I will be able to get that experience.

I do know some places that let you skin your own game and bring it in to "save" 15 bucks on processing costs. That seems to be counter productive to the check in system.... If a person skins it first then they can check it in as whatever they want. But overall I'm pleased with both the ways to check-in a deer.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I finally got to tag one this year. I wasn't sure how the check-in thing worked. I like the ease of just calling a number but I did want to find out what it was like to physically check in. Maybe if I can finally see another one and get a shot off I will be able to get that experience.

I do know some places that let you skin your own game and bring it in to "save" 15 bucks on processing costs. That seems to be counter productive to the check in system.... If a person skins it first then they can check it in as whatever they want. But overall I'm pleased with both the ways to check-in a deer.

I bet it's declaration of animal gender first (at check in) skinning allowed after check in.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Met a lady yesterday and we got to talking deer hunting and she let me know her and her husband owned some land and if I like I can hunt it ... Hasn't been hunted ever so I gladly took her up on it, still has standing corn on it so again Im just gonna hunt the food sorce... Im just going in to the edge if the woods or even may stay just out of the woods and see whats coming in and out of the corn ??? Gonna hunt the ground so I can be more mobile and make a move according to what the deer are doing... I have nothing to lose cause I can't see a shooter where I been hunt'n at.... Will be in there early Sat. morning, got a 3 day weekend so Im gonna make the best of it... The lady told me there is a giant buck that lives there, but they don't hunt so not to sure they know what a true giant is but I hope it is a true giant and I get the chance to see him laying on the ground after I put a 245gr powerbelt thru him.... lmao

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Met a lady yesterday and we got to talking deer hunting and she let me know her and her husband owned some land and if I like I can hunt it ... Hasn't been hunted ever so I gladly took her up on it, still has standing corn on it so again Im just gonna hunt the food sorce... Im just going in to the edge if the woods or even may stay just out of the woods and see whats coming in and out of the corn ??? Gonna hunt the ground so I can be more mobile and make a move according to what the deer are doing... I have nothing to lose cause I can't see a shooter where I been hunt'n at.... Will be in there early Sat. morning, got a 3 day weekend so Im gonna make the best of it... The lady told me there is a giant buck that lives there, but they don't hunt so not to sure they know what a true giant is but I hope it is a true giant and I get the chance to see him laying on the ground after I put a 245gr powerbelt thru him.... lmao
    ​Sounds like your gonna need some help...;)

Top Bottom