• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Yote, you are tougher than I am. I took a long weekend and expected to get one more bowhunt in this morning. Wind chill is 8 degrees. The wind direction means I would have to go to our farthest stand (about 0.25 mi walk). I'll be cold before I even get situated, so I stayed in.

I'll make the best of the time and organize our gear for tomorrow morning. We have to be up a bit late for a school play tonight, so it will be nice to have oatmeal, coffee, and clothing all ready when my feet hit the floor Saturday morning.

Good luck!

mfrobert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    I'm curious what time you guys have been getting into the stand? I'm seeing first light around 6:45 and sunrise about 45 minutes later.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    We just try to get in a few minutes before legal shoot. I've seen deer come by plenty of times a few minutes after I've made noise. We are able to circumvent the woods and not disturb much when we enter our stand.

Our biggest problem tomorrow though will be the people that our neighbors allow to hunt. They often come out right after sunrise, make too much noise, and park their vehicles right next to my favorite stand.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm curious what time you guys have been getting into the stand? I'm seeing first light around 6:45 and sunrise about 45 minutes later.

We usually get into the stand 30 minutes before we can see anything. We did that for a week and had not seen a deer before 9:30am so we started heading for the stand around 9:00am and sitting until 1 or 2. We definitely saw most of the bucks around noon but a change in the weather last weekend sent us back to heading out earlier. Thankful we did as I killed my buck just before 8:00am Monday. The best advice I've seen, at least for hunting the phases of the rut, is to be out there as much as you can be. The deer activity is anything but predictable right now.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My husband has been seeing quite a bit of deer activity every time he goes out. This morning he went out, and said it is totally dead. Hasn't seen a thing...then here comes the neighbor's big dog. That explains why there are no deer this morning. Neighbor will be getting a note on the door or a visit today about keeping the dog home. It is never tied, but I've never seen it off of their property so we weren't too concerned. If it's going to affect hunting, they are going to need ot do something different.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    On my old spot, pass through with CRP and oaks/ridges.............Most deer killed between 10 am and 2 pm......................yeah, get out before light and freeze by 9 am....................was pretty much worthless.

This time of the year I'd rather get out late and stay through mid day, than get up way early to watch the sun rise.

Excel data for over a decade......................time, weather, day, temp (plus animal and shot data)........................said the same thing..................mid day.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    My husband has been seeing quite a bit of deer activity every time he goes out. This morning he went out, and said it is totally dead. Hasn't seen a thing...then here comes the neighbor's big dog. That explains why there are no deer this morning. Neighbor will be getting a note on the door or a visit today about keeping the dog home. It is never tied, but I've never seen it off of their property so we weren't too concerned. If it's going to affect hunting, they are going to need ot do something different.

For the past 2 days on my way to drop my son at school, I have seen huge amounts of deer in the fields hugging the woods and feeding off cut corn. Today, I was shocked to have seen none the few times I have ran out.

My guess is tomorrow will be a good day with the front moving in tomorrow night. They will be up hopefully stuffing bellies for the evenings snow.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Well its been the worst deer season Ive had in years, haven't seen my first shooter yet all Ive seen is dinks.... Its fri. morning and Im gonna give it another try before gun season tomorrow... Maybe today is the day ? I kind of dout it but ya can't kill'm set'n on the sofa.....

The only thing diffrent this year is I have about 500ac. of standing corn w/ a couple woods in the middle of all that corn just across the road from my woods, but that shouldn't matter cause bucks cruise looking for does... So I don't know whats going on, maybe Im not living right ??? lol As to when I get into my stand 30min before day break and have been staying till noon.... Maybe opening morning of gun will change things up for me, changeing woods to hunt a big deep valley that is surrounded by other woods off in the distance, hopeing with all the other hunters out they will push them to that valley... All the other woods are on flat ground and Im the only spot with a deep valley, so I guess I will see what happens.... There are some big trees just tore up in here but I been trying to stay out of it... Have hunted the wood edge a couple times but tomorrow Im going to the break of the valley so I can see the whole valley ???? When I hung my stand on the edge of the valley is when I seen all the rubs, there is a flat with red oaks lineing the edge of the valley and they have it tore up.... Hell it can't hurt anything. I took a rake with me and raked me a path to the edge of the woods so I can get in quiet..... ??????????????? Good luck to all and be safe....

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    just got back in and seen one at the bottom of the hill with tail up and haulin' ass!!!!!!....way to far to sling an arrow at.....

going to the bottom of the hill in the morning...

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I saw two bucks and two does tonight. Great evening to sit in the stand. Cozy and warm with a gentle breeze and snow blowing in my face... Nothing close enough to pull the string back. Will be back out in the morning.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I will let the picture talk :)
    IMG_1130.JPG

Top Bottom