• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It usually sounds like a battle zone here on opening day. I heard ONE shot this morning about 7 and nothing the rest of the day. This is the first year in about 40 years that we did not go out on opening day. We spent the day processing the buck my husband shot with his bow on Wednesday. Backstraps for dinner sure hit the spot!

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Seems like everyone seen a few deer today but I didn't hear very many shots.... Between my buddys and I we seen a total of 7 deer between 5 guys... Thats sad 3 dinks and 4 does..... Two buddys only heard 4 shots all morning and I only heard about 10..... Two other guys heard quite a few but thet were way off... It was a sad day for us all for opening morning... Guess we will try again tomorrow....

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I sat here behind the house this morning heard 12 gunshots. A buddy in the woods north of me scored a nice basket 8. My buddy that hunts in Culver smacked a big 10 with a double brow tine on his right side. Michigan Slims daughter got a doe. Another buddy shot a doe today too. A lot of action around here.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I noticed that I didn't hear a shot until 7:20 and probably only heard about 6 shots all morning. I saw a young buck this morning and took the shot but missed. I took my time and had a good sight picture but it may have deflected on a branch. It was not a totally clear shot. No blood and deer gone for the hills. Darn it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    never seen a thing as far as deer goes all day.......and the first time in the 20 years i have lived down here it didn't sound like WWIII!!!!.....heard 8 shots all day......neighbor got a 7 pointer and that was it around me........

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This was my first season in IN and was surprised how quiet it was. I heard 2 shots a bit after sun up and one when I was dragging my doe to the tractor. I took a doe and a button buck (which I didn't know was a buck till I rolled it over and saw the bits) this morning to fill the freezer. Opening day in PA and VA sound like a reenactment of a civil war battle.

View attachment 33300

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Was out all day and heard only a dozen or so shots. I saw three small does feeding by themselves in three different fields this evening. Been saying it for the last year. Our deer herd is struggling here in Fountain county and lots of other areas around the state.
    Was talking to our C.O. a while back. He and a local police officer drove about 25 -30 miles of country roads about ten o'clock one night, spot lighting every field and pasture they came to. They counted 7 deer in that distance.Tell me again that we don't have an issue with our deer herds.
    I haven't shot a deer in my county in two years and have no plans to. The most deer I have seen, at one time this year, is four.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I saw nothing moving today from noon to 3:30. Nothing responded to my buck grunt call. Oddly I did notice that the brids were sure going at foraging for food. Especially the robins. Its quite normal for me to see this happen and hour before sundown but they were really going at it the whole time I was in the stand. On the way out of my woods I came across a 1 or 2 day old tree rub. Buck tore the heck out of this pine and scraped a circle in front of it too. I typically see this type of "work" done in 3rd week of october but its just now starting around here in Parke County on my woods anyway. I believe the rut is just NOW getting ready to go in to full swing. Seems like things are running 2-3 weeks late.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    36   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Was out all day and heard only a dozen or so shots. I saw three small does feeding by themselves in three different fields this evening. Been saying it for the last year. Our deer herd is struggling here in Fountain county and lots of other areas around the state.
    Was talking to our C.O. a while back. He and a local police officer drove about 25 -30 miles of country roads about ten o'clock one night, spot lighting every field and pasture they came to. They counted 7 deer in that distance.Tell me again that we don't have an issue with our deer herds.
    I haven't shot a deer in my county in two years and have no plans to. The most deer I have seen, at one time this year, is four.

Agreed ! and we should start a thread ( if it hasnt already been done on why) !

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We have been seeing about the same numbers of deer this year as last in Fountain Co but my hunting partner who has been hunting there for 15 years said last year the numbers were really down. We did have 10 does under us one evening last week and have consistently seen does in that same field just about every day. It's hard to judge the rest of the farm because there is still a good bit of standing corn out. We didn't shoot any does last year but we are planning to take a couple this week if all goes as planned.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    my very first deer.not a trophy to most but PART_1416144921346_20141115_114702.jpg the biggest trophy i could ever ask for. I want to thank all of you for the great advice. I seriously could not of got this with out all the help i received on here. I think I'm still shaking from yesterdays adrenalin rush

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I saw nothing moving today from noon to 3:30. Nothing responded to my buck grunt call. Oddly I did notice that the brids were sure going at foraging for food. Especially the robins. Its quite normal for me to see this happen and hour before sundown but they were really going at it the whole time I was in the stand. On the way out of my woods I came across a 1 or 2 day old tree rub. Buck tore the heck out of this pine and scraped a circle in front of it too. I typically see this type of "work" done in 3rd week of october but its just now starting around here in Parke County on my woods anyway. I believe the rut is just NOW getting ready to go in to full swing. Seems like things are running 2-3 weeks late.

The birds really were something yesterday! For me it was robins and black birds. Crazy how loud they were, and it was all day up till about 4pm. Then it was finally quiet in the woods.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Havent seen a dam thing there in Bartholomew Co. Heard about 15 shots yesterday and only 4 this morning. Got down early and checked my trail cams. Zero deer in the last 3 days. Granted I have 50 acres of corn surrounding two sides of the woods that they could be hiding in. And we have been combining here lately but that usually doesnt phase them. On a side note, Thank the lord for my new Thermacell Proflex Heated Insoles.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Just came in. Saw two small does all morning and heard two shots.
    Drove to Danville, IL and back last night (about 30 mile round trip) saw three does, possibly a fourth buck or a really large doe.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Saw no deer and only heard about six shots in Boone co this morning. I did have an exciting morning in the stand as a bird smacked into my head twice, and my shoulder once. Scared the s#*t out of me. Felt like someone smacking me each time. I'd see it fly away, but it was so dark I couldn't tell what kind it was.

Top Bottom