• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Heading out at 3:00 for my first sit in new spot on base where I put a ladder up last week. The wind is just right and the Excalibur will be in my hand.

After today, I'll be pretty much living at the family farm with a muzzleloader in hand.

Looking forward to getting my son some more time in a treestand.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Got my groundblind ready for my boy to use.
    2012-11-20_10-10-41_571.jpg

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I heard one grunt about 0640 and sat until 0945, saw nothing. Did some more scouting then and will attack the next hunt differently. Pressure has changed their movements a bit.....Must adapt.......

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    Haven't been out since last weekend. Saw two at 300yd. Too far for my taste. Discovered stands that don't belong to us and a corn pile underneath. This could make for an interesting rest of the week.

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Shot a doe Monday evening at 5:15. If I hadn't heard her walking in the leaves I would have never known she was there.Had to wait til she cleared a large tree on my right and by that time she was heading down the hill.A few more steps and I wouldn't have had a shot.As it was I dang near had to turn all the way around in the tree.Luckily for me I shoot left handed.Had to bleat to get her to stop and turn at me long enough to shoot.Hate to take a shot like that but she was only 20 yards away and gave a clear shot at her neck with a good angle through to her vitals.She dropped like a rock with no kicking.Used my .44mag with my handloads running a 240 XTP.Bullet went through the neck,jellied the heart,went through the opposite side front shoulder and got stuck in her hide.First time I have ever recovered a bullet from a deer and it mushroomed perfectly.Forgot to take a picture of it,but I will try and get one posted this week along with the recovered weight.

2012-11-19_18-03-35_199_zps89a37bf5.jpg

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ill measure him out this morning. im guessing 160's boone and crocket. :dunno:

For an 8 pointer (thats all I can count from the pics) 160 may be a little high. Upper 140s to 150s may be doable. Its an impressive animal to say the least. Cant wait to see the actual score when you get him measured up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    just got back from the morning hunt and came up empty. heavy fog this morning and nothing moving at all. Getting ready to go plink around with the 10/22 and i'll be back at it this evening. Deer are definately feeling the pressure as i've noticed the ones i've seen the last few days are skeptical to take that first step into the fields.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    My oldest daughter, Trevor Marie (we call her "T" anymore), has hunted hard this year. She had her mind made up from the beginning of youth season that she was going to take a deer with her bow. She hunted a lot and never even laid eyes on a deer while hunting. So this morning we decided to take her muzzleloader out for a hunt.

Thick as soup fog this morning had me convinced that something would be using the thick haze as cover to travel in the open fields. We set up on a familiar drainage finger that we have killed so many deer on over the years. The deer love to use this draw for travel from bedding to food. When the first doe showed up at about 8:30, I was a little concerned as she cut across the field on a path that I rarely see deer take and it was actually almost behind our set up, making a shot out of the blind very difficult and nearly impossible to video. But I left the set up as is was, hoping deer would take their more normal route. 15 minutes later, 5 hen turkeys walked not 3 yards in front of us. I've NEVER seen turkeys on this particular farm, which made this very cool.

At about 9:00, I looked back where the doe had come through earlier and there was a deer walking slowly on the same path. I quickly got T turned around and she got her gun on the rest. I hit the grunt tube ... head up and he started moving our way. With the thick fog, the buck was a perfect silhouette against the white haze back drop. He stopped quartering to us. I told T to put the crosshairs straight up the inside line made by his closest front leg, half way up the body, and squeeze the trigger. When the smoke cleared all I saw was legs sticking straight up in the air. Dropped him in his tracks.

I had seen this 2 1/2 year old about two weeks ago while bow hunting. At that time he had a nice left side and a broken main beam on his right. I have trail cam photos of him earlier showing he was a respectable 8 pointer. Since then he had broken almost everything left on his head. Every tine was broken at some point, his entire left antler broken off, and he had a gash the size of a softball on his right rump where he had been gored while fighting. This dude was the bad ass of the 2 1/2 year olds ... a real fighter. So we called him the "Warrior Buck".

T and her "Warrior Buck". 65 yards with her muzzleloader.

2012TrevorsBuck-1.jpg

2012TrevorsBuck-3.jpg

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    On the ground an let a little yearling walk past me at 5 yds....she walked across field into woods and a few min. later heard 3 shots....don't know if it was at the same deer though.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    Saw a doe and her fawn from last year at 7:35AM. Came in at 10yds from the right of me while sitting. Wasn't anticipating it (brush blocking view to the right) and let them go. I'll hold out for another buck or take another doe once we get some snow on the ground.

Better than last weekend, where I saw absolutely nothing. Tomorrow may be good.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Top Bottom