• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I saw this done on another forum a few years back. I really enjoyed the pictures and learned quite a bit from the other gardeners with more experience. Since we've had several posts in the recent past inquiring about garden stuff, I thought others might enjoy this as well.

I'll keep adding pics and updates as the season progresses. This space is for all to share, ask questions, complain, rant, brag, etc. So don't be shy! :)

So to get this party started.

An "aerial" view of the garden beds. Most are 4'xx8', but a few are smaller due to space constraints from the shape of the old garden area. We built the four empty beds yesterday and added the fencing (the dog thinks the beds are his digging domain). Still have to finish the fencing, but not today.

P1030906.jpg

Stuff started from seed, in order: onions and peppers; peppers and tomatoes; broccoli, eggplant (hasn't germinated yet), and various herbs; marigolds for insect repellant.

P1030914.jpg

P1030915.jpg

P1030916.jpg

P1030917.jpg

For fun, I'm letting a few of last year's onions seed out this year. Or hoping they will.
    P1030911.jpg

My outside work area
    P1030909.jpg

Lettuce growing as "weeds" throughout my yard from letting it go to seed last year. Ironically, I can't find the bag of seeds I saved from them. :(
    P1030910.jpg

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Oh, I forgot one. It's been so wet lately that the ducks thought my back yard area was a suitable nesting site. The results:

P1030886.jpg

Too bad they chose to nest INSIDE the fence. The dog kept mom from coming back to sit on the egg. *sigh* Such is life. My oldest got a kick out of it though and was really looking forward to raising a duck!

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    I'll keep adding pics and updates as the season progresses. This space is for all to share, ask questions, complain, rant, brag, etc. So don't be shy! :)

I am far behind, but well on the way.:)
    Your layout is GREAT , I have much less space so I am growing in large pots.

WeLLL,
    back to work !:rockwoot:

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    No raised beds but well on the way. Peas are about 6" tall, lettus,spinach, raddishs are all up an growing. Planted 12 various tomato plants and broccoli plants yesterday. I have some zuchinni plants started and tons of peppers. Plan to put in about 1/4 acre of sweet corn and more peppers, lima beans and green beans. Neighbor has rototiller on back of his tractor so it helps me put a big garden out on the cheap:rockwoot:

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    These are all last years photos because I am a little behind this year, but everything will look the same.

My main garden is 10 x 12ish. Corn, tomatoes, broccoli, lettuce, zucchini, and cucumbers all squeezed in here. The fence is for my dog also.

P6140032.jpg

Some cherry tomatoes hanging close to the back door for quick pickings. Those cages are made from the same fencing around the main garden.

P6300029.jpg

Lastly my new strawberry patch.

P5280024.jpg

I don't have a pic of this, but I actually put a couple of the runners in a pot. After they had been frozen for a couple weeks early last winter, I brought the pot inside and set it by the glass back door. Wouldn't you know it; they thought it was springtime, and I had strawberries in February!! Definitely going to try that again. You just have to make sure the flowers get pollinated.

Her are a couple shots of my rain barrels.

P5280028.jpg

P6060024.jpg

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    To the OP very nice set up you have. I wish I had the room to have something more, but mine will be a potted garden for the next few years. Hopefully getting it started this week and next. Mainly a few varieties of tomatoes and peppers this year.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I saw this done on another forum a few years back. I really enjoyed the pictures and learned quite a bit from the other gardeners with more experience. Since we've had several posts in the recent past inquiring about garden stuff, I thought others might enjoy this as well.

So to get this party started.

What a great idea! I'll be lurking in this thread a lot for sure :D

I like the looks of your set up too.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    P6300029.jpg

Her are a couple shots of my rain barrels.

P5280028.jpg

This is exactly what I was hoping for. :yesway:

Those hanging baskets are rad!!!!! Is that landscaping fabric lining the "baskets?"

I'm so glad you including the rain barrel pics too. We've got six waiting for installation when we find the time. Nice to see how-tos from other people.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I put my transplants in one day before the 6 days of rain. I lost all my toms and zucchinis. All my greens, broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage is doing good though. My corn has started to break the surface also.

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I have two 4x8 raised beds in my yard and many pots for the deck. Currently I have one bed planted with peas, cauliflower, turnips, kohlrabi, red and easter egg radishes, carrots and onions. The other bed has some lettuce and a few early Tom plants. Gonna plant some more Toms soon and one the early veggies are gone I'm gonna have both beds planted with toms and peppers. I'll probably do some crops of radish and cauliflower and kohlrabi in the fall too. My pots are gonna have tomatoes, peppers, and some bush pickles.

Merrixs, I like the pics of the rain barrels. I'm in the middle of making a few of my own!

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    88gt - Yep landscape fabric in the baskets. It keeps the soil nice and ventilated, and also keeps the plant's roots from overgrowing and becoming root bound. You just have to make sure you water it everyday in the heat of summer, or it will dry out before you know it. I gave one to my mom and she just sticks a plastic pot inside the basket.
    If you are going to be using your rain barrels with a garden hose try to get them as high off the ground as you can. I mostly scoop water out of mine with a watering can. Unless you are going to "filter" the incoming water with a screen, I would also recommend using a ball valve instead of your standard gate valve going to a garden hose.

cumminspwrd02 - Thanks. The above pointers were also meant for you too.

Michee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Plymouth
    Great thread!! I really wanted to start a garden this year, but I'll take notes and start mine with a little more space next year. :)

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I got my rotoriller running yesterday. Hasn't ran in about 5-6 years. Wife wants a garden so we're going to take part of the yard behind the garage next to the well head. Fence it off and put a gate up.

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Garden don't you mean rice field lol hope it dries out so I can till. Also I seen a few rain barrels if anyone has any questions I have been doing a lot of research on this topic and I will be glad to share information

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A little head's up:

Frost Advisory
    INZ021-028>031-035>049-051>057-060>065-067>072-050345-
    /O.NEW.KIND.FR.Y.0001.110505T0600Z-110505T1300Z/
    CARROLL-WARREN-TIPPECANOE-CLINTON-HOWARD-FOUNTAIN-MONTGOMERY-
    BOONE-TIPTON-HAMILTON-MADISON-DELAWARE-RANDOLPH-VERMILLION-PARKE-
    PUTNAM-HENDRICKS-MARION-HANCOCK-HENRY-VIGO-CLAY-OWEN-MORGAN-
    JOHNSON-SHELBY-RUSH-SULLIVAN-GREENE-MONROE-BROWN-BARTHOLOMEW-
    DECATUR-KNOX-DAVIESS-MARTIN-LAWRENCE-JACKSON-JENNINGS-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LAFAYETTE...FRANKFORT...KOKOMO...
    CRAWFORDSVILLE...ANDERSON...MUNCIE...INDIANAPOLIS...TERRE HAUTE...
    SHELBYVILLE...BLOOMINGTON...COLUMBUS...VINCENNES...BEDFORD...
    SEYMOUR

345 PM EDT WED MAY 4 2011

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 9 AM EDT THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A FROST
    ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 9 AM EDT THURSDAY.

* TEMPERATURE: LOW TEMPERATURES WILL BE IN THE LOW TO MID 30S.

* IMPACTS: SENSITIVE VEGETATION WILL BE THREATENED IF LEFT
    OUTDOORS UNCOVERED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE. SENSITIVE OUTDOOR
    PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Frost

That's useful information to those who are way ahead of me. I'm in Schenectady, NY tonight so it'll be colder'n it will at home. It's been so wet that I've not turned a spade yet. I have had some Rhubarb and asparagus and the blueberry bush looks pretty good!

I've got a 60" tiller but have to borrow a tractor to use it. When I get it hooked up I do Li'l Bro's garden and mine and any food plots I plan to put in but its gonna have to dry out alot or I'll just be makin' mudballs.

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    i bought 4 tomato plants, 2 green, and 2 red pepper plants. starting small... see where this takes me.

Thats how I started my first garden, just a couple plants. Each planted in very large pots. Then each year after i got more and more plants and they took up too much space on my deck so I built some raised beds. We moved in the fall so about a month or so ago I built two beds for the new garden and I'm thinking of building one, maybe two more. Plus I'll have stuff growing in containers too.

Top Bottom