• ...and so much more!
  • EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Your, "Writing Fake Tickets"

is misleading at best. And a lie at worst. But Red Tagging vehicles IS bad, IMHO. A tactic used by a near-by LEO jurisdiction help to bust some car-jackers there. Every day several cars went missing from a large department stores parking lots. Victims ALL stated that they had accidentally left their keys in the ignition while shopping. Leo asked the store if someone had been in, asking to borrow a coat-hanger on the days of the heists. Yes, there had been. The hijacker(s) had seen the set of keys, and borrowed the wire hanger in order to jimmie the door, and save bus-fare. Leo allowed the scenario to run a few days, and caught 6 car-choppers and several autos in a near-by gas station / chop-shop. They should have brought their own wire or slim-jim.

Last edited:

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    OP, I agree with EBG on your thread title, as I see it as intentionally provocative. No "tickets" were being issued.

There could be any number of variables as to why the flyers were done:

1. Off-duty officers working security for Wal-Mart
    2. Flyers printed up by Wal-Mart
    3. On duty officers engaged in (gasp) pro-active policing
    4. Cars missing flyers could have just arrived and not received one yet

In the totality, the comments I see are that someone is offended that officers are trying to proactively do their job by educating the public about ways to harden their property and reduce victimization, in a legal and outgoing manner. I mean, we see some stupid bull$h!t out there from some cops, but c'mon...where is the line drawn/ Is someone going to chastise me when I say "Have a nice day" after I give them a verbal warning for speeding? (Which I do 98% of the time...)

itstheKman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Waaaay Southwestern Indiana
    is misleading at best. And a lie at worst. But Red Tagging vehicles is bad, IMHO.

I agree the title is a bit misleading. I apologize, I couldn't think of anything better at the time.

OP, I agree with EBG on your thread title, as I see it as intentionally provocative. No "tickets" were being issued.

In the totality, the comments I see are that someone is offended that officers are trying to proactively do their job by educating the public about ways to harden their property and reduce victimization, in a legal and outgoing manner. I mean, we see some stupid bull$h!t out there from some cops, but c'mon...where is the line drawn/ Is someone going to chastise me when I say "Have a nice day" after I give them a verbal warning for speeding? (Which I do 98% of the time...)

From what I saw, the officers were in full uniform, and I saw a few cruisers at the back of the parking lot.

Looking back, I think I got more worked up about than necessary. I realize it is ultimately up to me to ensure my property stays safe in a situation like this. It still irks me a bit that officers are just walking around the lot looking into vehicles, but I see the point of what they are doing.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010

Per the part I bolded: I'm guessing this is the case. Wal Mart probably has had break-ins and hired off duty officers to patrol the lot and control the thefts. I do not work in a busy town but having an officer spend even one hour in a shift doing work for a private company would be frowned upon at best.

As for the invasion of privacy concerns, I understand your point of view. However, if the officers are in fact hired by Wal Mart as I suspect, it is the owner of the private property (public access) that is requesting the activity which is well within the rights of the property owner.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    jsx1043 said:

If I'm ever getting beat down in the Walmart parking lot you guys better not jump in and help me. You leave me alone until I ask for your assistance, thankyouverymuch! :xmad:

:D

Last edited:

fatduk1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Warren IN
    if the leo are off duty why are they in a uniform paid for with TAX PAYORS $$$$$$ to work / moonlite . this is NOT what WE pay for . if there not on the clock they should wear clothes THEY paid for .they still have a badge just like when they work undercover.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Makes me wonder if they even have the authority to post public service announcements like that.
    But it does remind me of my youth. I would leave love notes to people who parked too close.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    if the leo are off duty why are they in a uniform paid for with TAX PAYORS $$$$$$ to work / moonlite . this is NOT what WE pay for . if there not on the clock they should wear clothes THEY paid for .they still have a badge just like when they work undercover.

I thought many if not most departments require the officer to pay for their own uniform(s).

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I pay for my uniform thank you very much. My friend takes a bullet while on the job and the medic cut his uniform off. He has to buy a new one for himself. So do us a favor and lighten up Francis.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    threadrocks.jpg

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

I pay for my uniform thank you very much. My friend takes a bullet while on the job and the medic cut his uniform off. He has to buy a new one for himself. So do us a favor and lighten up Francis.

Foot-In-Mouth-Disease.gif

Top Bottom