• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c3d4b2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    There have been a rash of car break ins in the larger cities. I was first warned to not leave any electronics in view aprox 2 years ago and things have not improved. From what little I have heard there is an ongoing effort to increase the awareness of the break ins and things to help you not become a victim.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Self defense is the strongest human motivation next to having sex.
    People try to screw LEO's.
    LEO's go into self defense mode. :D

i wasn't offended enough to go into self defense mode, but i was offended enough to want to have sex with him.

I understand both sides. i mentioned in a story before that police received a run to a parking lot for a guy breaking into cars. WHen they arrived the caught a man shattering out a window, holding a purse. As they had the man in handcuffs officers went through the lot looking for other victim vehicles. They found that 2 out of 50 were broken into, and 20 had purses and/or laptop computers in plain view in the vehicle. So 2 out of every 5 people in this instance were idiots. THey asked the man why he broke into the vehicle and he replied, "I just made 700$ in 5 minutes from 2 cars...what would you do?"

I understand the idea that the police should be out catching murderers and rapists, but unfortunately they spend many hours in a parking lot usually with a crowd of people all wondering why their purse/laptop/ipod was stolen from their vehicle and why the police weren't there to do anything about it.

It's sort of a catch 22. I'm all for the idea that if you do something stupid like leave your wallet in the car at the gym, it's an excellent learning experience for you to have your stuff stolen. Losing money, canceling credit cards, checking credit scores, etc is an excellent deterrent from making the same mistake twice. The problem though is that it's so prevalent that one break in spree will lock up an entire district or smaller department with reports

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCNGaafnAGk

Officers don't have the option of saying "if it weren't for dickheads like you, there wouldn't be any thievery would there?" and just moving on, they have to stay and take a report which takes on average 30 minutes or so. If you have a thief in an area like walmart you can expect at least 10 cars to be broken into, so that's 5 hours of police work just typing up completely preventable reports (10 hours for the example situation).

The solution of placing a flyer on the vehicles probably isn't the best one, but i'm sure they're trying to prevent the inevitable. I agree that they should flyer all vehicles to let everyone know, and not single out a vehicle, but people would just complain about that too. Catch 22, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This thread has nothing to do with "Officers writing fake tickets" like the title says.
    I find it very misleading, it has nothing to do with the issue of this thread.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Not that long ago in Lafayette there was a big to-do about the local LEOs going into the parking lots and checking cars not only for visible thief magnets but also for unlocked doors. The LEOs were pulling on door handles and locking the ones they find open, along with the paper notices that the cars were crimes waiting to happen. A lot of people weren't happy with the practice.

(Didn't this happen and was discussed on here at length? I seem to recall a discussion on here about it.)

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Funny but true car break in story that i told before.

A really close friend of mine took a run of a domestic at the Fort Benjamin Harrison YMCA. The husband was in the lobby freaking out at his wife and people were sure he was going to kill her. The cops get there and the guy is going nuts in the lobby calling her all kinds of horrible names. They separate the 2 and one cop goes off with the angry guy. Angry guy is still pissed and leads the cop outside pointing to a car with a broken window. The angry guy explains in a rather loud manner that this is his car, his wife drove it to the ymca, left her purse on the front seat, and now the window is broken and her purse is gone. The whole time he is referring to his wife as anything but "wife". The cop says, "calm down man, it's just stuff, yeah that wasn't the brightest move, but that's your wife and people make mistakes." The man replied, "you don't get it, that's MY car!" then continues on about how stupid his wife is. The cop replies a little angrier now, "no, you don't get it! You're married, you're in this together, your car is her car and vice versa." The man says, "She has her own car! She drove mine today because hers was in the shop getting a window replaced from where she drove to the YMCA and left her purse on the seat last week!!!" Cop: "...........oh damnnnn."

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    That's just too bad. The needs of the you(collective) doesn't outweigh the property/privacy of the me.

I can. What a ginormous waste of time. Go catch kidnappers, rapists, murderers, etc....stop walking around parking lots and peeping in windows.
    My crap is where I put it for a reason. If it gets heisted, that's my bad. Nobody else needs to tell me how to care for my stuff or why. It's my responsibility. The people that welcome the invasion of privacy and call it a "heads up" are part of the problem that is the erosion of personal liberties.
    How in the hell do you or anyone else in this thread know it was even police doing it? I'm usually the first one around here to fly off the handle and rant about police abuses of power and resources, but in this case I see no evidence yet that it was even actually police doing this. Ever hear of the Sheriffs Explorers? It's part of the BSA and is sort of like "cop scouts". When I was one, we did stuff sort of like this to help with public awareness and relations. As scouts we were limited pretty seriously as to what we could do, but we were also part of the sheriffs dept as they "sponsor" us and as such we represented them.......carried radios, badges, in full uniform (minus cuffs and sidearm).

Last edited:

itstheKman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Waaaay Southwestern Indiana
    I'll say it again since the first one got kinda buried. I know that my title is misleading and I definitely could have chosen a better one, I just couldn't think of anything at the time for some reason. I apologize. Also, I know they were officers because they were in full uniform and there were a couple of cruisers parked at the back of the lot. If I remember right, there were about 4 walking around that I saw

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I can. What a ginormous waste of time. Go catch kidnappers, rapists, murderers, etc....stop walking around parking lots and peeping in windows.
    My crap is where I put it for a reason. If it gets heisted, that's my bad. Nobody else needs to tell me how to care for my stuff or why. It's my responsibility. The people that welcome the invasion of privacy and call it a "heads up" are part of the problem that is the erosion of personal liberties.

Yep, it's your bad, and as long as you don't call police and waste their time writing a 20 minute report when they could be doing other things, then fine.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Yep, it's your bad, and as long as you don't call police and waste their time writing a 20 minute report when they could be doing other things, then fine.
    I actually agree with you, there. To a point.
    If someone opens an unlocked car door or reaches through an opened window and takes some expensive whatever off the dash, then yeah... car owner should have seen that coming.
    However, I don't leave crap out in view and I lock things up tighter than a drum...so if I come out of a store and find personal property damage, vandalism and theft, you bet you're filling out a report for my insurance company claim.
    If it weren't for that stipulation in filing any claims, I wouldn't be bothering you.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I applaud you for having the foresight to not leave purses, iPads, wallets, or laptops in your car for the world to steal. You bring up an interesting side note that i want to point out:

you bet you're filling out a report for my insurance company claim.
    If it weren't for that stipulation in filing any claims, I wouldn't be bothering you.

I don't know if it's TV or what, but everyone feels they NEED a report for anything that goes awry. People don't understand that often times, reports are more detrimental to you than not reporting it to begin with. Ill use the example above. If you come out to your car and your windshield is broken you don't have to have a report for your insurance. If you absolutely feel your ins. company needs to know, all you have to do is call your insurance company and say "hey my window is broken". What a cop writes down on his little note pad is this "i arrived on scene and spoke with XXX who stated her window was broken".

But do they really need to know?

Given the above scenario where your window is broken, if it were me, i'd just go home, call auto glass and pay for a new window. A new front window costs between 157-324
    Car Window Replacement Cost
    my deductible is 500. Why would i want my insurance company to possibly raise my rates for me to end up paying for the majority if not all of the repair by myself? Now moving further down the road, i decide to sell my vehicle that i reported to the police/insurance as vandalized. They run the VIN and find that my vehicle was "vandalized" in 2012. Now my $15000 trade in is only worth $13000. So for the anguish of waiting for the police to take a report, talking to an insurance rep, paying $500 out of pocket for a new window, and paying a new higher premium the rewards are that my car is now worth $2,000 less when i go to sell it. If i don't call the police my rates stay the same and my car is worth more. The widow still costs just as much.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Guess I'll throw in my buck fifty as well...

I don't lock my Jeep's doors. There simply isn't a point. You can just unzip the windows, or cut them open. You have any idea how expensive those windows are?

I don't normally leave much "out", either. But, I do have a BOB, recovery gear bag, jumper cables, and what-not sitting in the back.

I do agree that MY stuff is MY responsibility. However, it is YOUR responsibility to NOT STEAL IT. It is NOT the victim's fault if a crook swipes their stuff. Period. The fault lies ONLY with the person the broke the law.

As for the "no reporting" - My insurance company requires it as well. I have ZERO deductible for theft or vandalism. They do, however, require a copy of the police report to validate the claim. So, if our Legislature cannot prevent crime by passing more laws, and our police cannot prevent crime by enforcing the laws, then they can at least document that a crime was committed so I can be reimbursed. Who knows, maybe they can even catch the punk that took the stuff.

</rant off>

Top Bottom