• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    But it was his feet. Not really a life threatening injury.

Any person LEO or citizen can use deadley force to prevent death or seriously bodily injury to themselves or others. Don't know about you but pretty sure you would recive serious injury being ran over by a vehicle.

Sounds like excessive force to me but.... the officer did say he feared for his life and he was concerned about the safety of the public, so there you go. :rolleyes:
    They are already pulling out their CYA card by saying the suspect "struck" the officer with his vehicle as he pulled away with his loud music.
    :shoot::joke::nopity:

See above!

Thank goodness the cop shot like a cop and only hit the back window of the car, and not the driver OR any passengers who might have been in it!

Something tells me if this was a hardened thug, hell bent on running down a cop, he wouldn't have went home and called the police.

So I suppose you think it is an easy task to shoot at and hit a moving target behind a barrier like automobile glass with a handgun.

No one here really knows the specifics on what or how everything broke down but for the naysayers thinking the LEO is getting away with something civilians cant wait til the facts come in. Also like stated anyone can use deadly force to prevent death or serously bodily injury but YOU have to be the one that can articulate that YOU were JUSITFIED.

Also if someone is commiting a felony anyone can make a citizens arrest.

Just sayin!

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    If some punk cranking Lil' Poo Poo in his Honda Civic with a mounted split-wing tail spoiler, a fart cannon on the rear end, and LED lights illuminating the under-carriage decided to run over my Stacey Adams that I just spent an hour spit-shining, I'd unload on the bass turd, too...

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    why are we so quick to take the media's account of this as gospel? most posters in this thread are usually at the front of the "hatin the MSM" line.... :dunno:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    cop shooting

I'm very good friends with a retired Indianapolis officer detective grade. We have talked at length on various occasions about self defense actions, how to respond to police questions, what to say or not to say. He has told me that if I ever am involved in a shooting and there is personal injury or death of the person I shot I am to say " I was in fear for my life. I used that force which I deemed necessary to protect my life." . . . . and then shut up ! ! ! This statement sounds very much like what the police officer supposedly said. Maybe this is the "line" the police officers are schooled to say. Perhaps a coincidence - perhaps not.

That being said - and going back to the incident - I'm not sure I'd be real thrilled with an "off duty" cop telling me to turn down my radio AND then writing me a ticket. I would question whether an "off duty" officer should be using his police power for that type of action. If he was a security force staff only he wouldn't be able to write a ticket. Me thinks a little bit of bravado on the officer's part resulted in a bad decision making it worse. If the driver's car was moving away I think it would be difficult to demonstrate threat to life. I also wonder if the parking lot is covered by security cameras. I think the driver of the car has a lot more credibility since he called and reported the incident. :rolleyes:

I think this might cost the city some money if the driver can find a good lawyer.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    This does not appear to be a good shoot. Look if a officer tells an individual to stop and he keeps running away can he shoot the guy in the back? Nope sure can't. Now once the officers foot has been ran over and the car is driving away where the back window is the target for the cop he is not a threat and not justified to shoot. If the shots were fired at the exact same time he was being hit or right before then maybe but this seems retaliatory not to stop him or anyone else from being injured. What would have happened as the guy is speeding away and the cop shoots him in the head he swerves and runs into the store and kills pedestrians is this still a good shoot in your eyes? An officer of the law should be held to the same standards as anyone else when it comes to the use of deadly force. Look hopefully there is more info that some how comes out to show justification but I highly doubt it and this will be steeped under the rug and we will not hear anymore about it. Not saying they will or won't do anything about it but I bet they don't tell the rest of us.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    why are we so quick to take the media's account of this as gospel? most posters in this thread are usually at the front of the "hatin the MSM" line.... :dunno:
    Because the article is so poorly written and has very few facts and everyone made up their minds about what really happened is why I jumped on the bandwagon :rockwoot:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I doubt there was a great amount of time between the impact, and the shots. The way some of you are acting, the guy was 50 feet away when the officer shot. I bet he shot as he was being ran over. But who knows yet, will be interesting to hear.

At first I thought this was going to be like that other story where the guy shot at a fleeing shoplifters vehicle.

I think it's funny when people drive by and I hear the bass rattling the windows. I ALWAYS jump up and run to the door thinking someone is stealing my car, and my music is on. I don't sit in a parking lot with the bass up though.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Without more detail about what the perp did prior to the shooting its hard to say if it was justified or not. Doesn't sound like the perp accidentally ran over the cops foot, maybe he was trying to actually hit the cop. If it appeared the perp was intending to continue the vehicular assault, then he may have had it coming. If he was driving away and the threat was over, then use of deadly force would be harder to justify. With other people in the vicinity, their safety is a critical factor to consider. Did the driver/vehicle present a threat to others? By the same token, hopefully the cop was aware of what was beyond his target.

darwinwaswrong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    One could argue the fleeing felon law. On the flip side of the coin how much of a threat is a car driving away from you? I know if I had my feet ran over by someone in a parking lot and put one through the back window as he was driving away I would need bail money.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I stand by my conclusion. If he were truly in fear for his life from someone running AWAY from him, he is a coward. I prefer to believe that it is the standard CYA verbiage, but I certainly don't know that.

how about we replace "they just ran over his foot, probably didn't really hurt" with "they only shot at him once and it was just a flesh wound"

so if the guy had been shooting at him while running away, should he have cowered in fear?

It's rich that a message board full of 1000's of "what if" self defense scenarios would be so quick to judge and condemn what looks like clearly a justified shooting.

He was a fleeing felon and the officer feared for himself and the safety of the public.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    One could argue the fleeing felon law. On the flip side of the coin how much of a threat is a car driving away from you? I know if I had my feet ran over by someone in a parking lot and put one through the back window as he was driving away I would need bail money.

you might need bail if they ran it over on accident, if they tried to run you over and only got your foot you would be gtg

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    It's assault with a deadly weapon on a LEO. Whether it's done with a car,knife,gun or lightsabar there is a good chance you will be shot at. If the perp flees they will probably be shot at. The deadly threat already occurred, the cops will not just let the perp drive away.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Some of you guys are reaching so far to make this a good shoot you must Elasto-man!

No way was it a good shoot. It was a pissed off, off-duty reserve cop who got his feelings hurt.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I believe little of what MSM says. I just wonder what was truly going on.
    If indeed the idiot tried to run LEO down I have to get in LEO's corner on this one.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    the officer will be thoroughly investigated by the firearms review board. he will either be cleared or held accountable if he violated department policy or the law.

I assure you that the investigators onn this case will look at more information than was given out by the media...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom