• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    the officer will be toroughly investigated by the firearms review board. he will either be cleared or held accountable if he violated department policy or the law.

I assure you that the investigators onn this case will look at more information than was given out by the media...

Is that one of those investigations that hurt?

:D

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The officer is a reserve. He was in full uniform and working off-duty security at Kroger at the time.

Well there you go folks. He WAS in uniform. Last time I checked you can't just run away from the police. I hope people wait till all the facts come out till this officer gets crucified anymore. Also I wish him a speedy recovery and hope his injuries aren't career ending.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Yeah, FULL of fail. The kid should be stepped on. Hard. But unless there is more to the story than we are aware, the cop over-reacted. Badly.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    yea come on people dont TREAD on the LEO like that. I'm sure it has been a GOODYEAR for him before all this happened. I think we are just trying to Inflate the issue. Well thats all I have to say cause I TIRE of the whole situation. :laugh:

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    If the officer was working a Private Third -Party Job , why was he in a Uniform ?

Are Police allowed to work another Part-time job in another state wearing their uniform ?

Would they still be expecting people to see them as a Police Officer , or a Security Guard ?

Do they still carry the same weight of authority , a Security Guard vs. Police Officer ?

I see this all the time in Wabash at a Smelting Company , the local Police working their part time jobs in Uniform and with their patrol cars at the gates of the truck check in .

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If the officer was working a Private Third -Party Job , why was he in a Uniform ?

Are Police allowed to work another Part-time job in another state wearing their uniform ?

Would they still be expecting people to see them as a Police Officer , or a Security Guard ?

Do they still carry the same weight of authority , a Security Guard vs. Police Officer ?

I see this all the time in Wabash at a Smelting Company , the local Police working their part time jobs in Uniform and with their patrol cars at the gates of the truck check in .

While some departments might have certian rules on off duty employment in Indiana LEO's have state wide jurisdiction. As far as off duty there never realy is such a thing so even working an off duty job an LEO can still make arrests and carry the same wieght as in if they pulled you over for an infraction etc. Also most agencies give their blessings for Officers to take part of off duty jobs in uniform as played out in this scenerio. It basically adds an Officer in public sight and many feel it adds to the deterence factor.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Well there you go folks. He WAS in uniform. Last time I checked you can't just run away from the police. I hope people wait till all the facts come out till this officer gets crucified anymore. Also I wish him a speedy recovery and hope his injuries aren't career ending.

Last time I checked a cop can't just open fire on someone running away.

It sucks I know. I would want to pop a few rounds into the car of the guy that just hit me (ran over my toe) too. But they can't. Period.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    lets see what state law says...

IC 35-41-3-3
    Use of force relating to arrest or escape

(b) A law enforcement officer is justified in using reasonable force if the officer reasonably believes that the force is necessary to effect a lawful arrest. However, an officer is justified in using deadly force only if the officer:
    (1) has probable cause to believe that that deadly force is necessary:
    (A) to prevent the commission of a forcible felony; or
    (B) to effect an arrest of a person who the officer has
    probable cause to believe poses a threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or a third person.

I would argue that someone attempting to run you over with their vehicle is a threat to you, and someone willing to run over a police officer would probably be willing to run over a civillian, a 3rd person.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    lets see what state law says...

IC 35-41-3-3
    Use of force relating to arrest or escape

(b) A law enforcement officer is justified in using reasonable force if the officer reasonably believes that the force is necessary to effect a lawful arrest. However, an officer is justified in using deadly force only if the officer:
    (1) has probable cause to believe that that deadly force is necessary:
    (A) to prevent the commission of a forcible felony; or
    (B) to effect an arrest of a person who the officer has
    probable cause to believe poses a threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or a third person.

I would argue that someone attempting to run you over with their vehicle is a threat to you, and someone willing to run over a police officer would probably be willing to run over a civillian, a 3rd person.

He has a bruised foot :dunno:

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    While some departments might have certian rules on off duty employment in Indiana LEO's have state wide jurisdiction. As far as off duty there never realy is such a thing so even working an off duty job an LEO can still make arrests and carry the same wieght as in if they pulled you over for an infraction etc. Also most agencies give their blessings for Officers to take part of off duty jobs in uniform as played out in this scenerio. It basically adds an Officer in public sight and many feel it adds to the deterence factor.

Thank you .

I just never new what the part time job description would mean as to their full time job .

:yesway:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    i just reread the I.C., can't seem to find the section where that's relevent.

I believe the point in question is whether this constitutes 'serious bodily injury' worthy of opening fire on the fleeing culprit as opposed to arranging his arrest without gunplay.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I believe the point in question is whether this constitutes 'serious bodily injury' worthy of opening fire on the fleeing culprit as opposed to arranging his arrest without gunplay.

the outcome is irrelvent. The suspect used a vehicle in an attempt to cause serious bodily injury. It's no different than if the suspect had shot at the officer 10 times and missed 10 times...there was still an attempt.

The officer stated he was in fear for his life and the saftey of the public by a person who assualted him with a motor vehicle. Case closed.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    the outcome is irrelvent. The suspect used a vehicle in an attempt to cause serious bodily injury. It's no different than if the suspect had shot at the officer 10 times and missed 10 times...there was still an attempt.

The officer stated he was in fear for his life and the saftey of the public by a person who assualted him with a motor vehicle. Case closed.
    Are we sure the suspect didn't just drive straight off and the officer had his foot to close to the car? I mean seriously, that article had next to zero info in it and a lot of people act like the officer got hit head on but all he got was a bruised foot.

Anyone know if that Kroger has video outside? Or have there been any more articles with a little more info?

Top Bottom