• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Our family has been asked for the past month to attend a church in our county with a school and a daycare. While I admire the churches gumption to come each and every Saturday to get us to attend, I will not attend a church where I cannot carry at all.

It is quite frustrating as they seem to be genuinely caring people.

If a church is going to judge you, or condemn you for carrying a handgun then perhaps it's time to change venues.

Self and family defense is a scripturally sound principle, as is defending one's neighbor. If they do not like someone (or have "ministries" that altogether prohibit) the carry of a firearm , then perhaps their doctrines are flawed elsewhere.

Not trying to preach, as I am a believer without a local fellowship; but I do have issues with a church trying to control an aspect of my life, especially one so important.

/steps down from pulpit

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Our family has been asked for the past month to attend a church in our county with a school and a daycare. While I admire the churches gumption to come each and every Saturday to get us to attend, I will not attend a church where I cannot carry at all.

It is quite frustrating as they seem to be genuinely caring people.

If a church is going to judge you, or condemn you for carrying a handgun then perhaps it's time to change venues.

Self and family defense is a scripturally sound principle, as is defending one's neighbor. If they do not like someone (or have "ministries" that altogether prohibit) the carry of a firearm , then perhaps their doctrines are flawed elsewhere.

Not trying to preach, as I am a believer without a local fellowship; but I do have issues with a church trying to control an aspect of my life, especially one so important.

/steps down from pulpit

Technically you can carry there, get them to put you on the payroll, 1 hour a month janitorial, heh, just tell them they probably shouldn't tell their insurance carrier.

tj_v89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Why worry about what others think? It's between you and God at that point. What others think or don't think of me.....never enters my decision making process. Will what others think stop a crime if it happens to you?

I think youre missing the point of the question...its more about OC vs CC....not about carrying or not carrying....I think that CC is the way to go in almost any situation personally, but I also think that to completely neglect peoples perception of you is not the smartest thing you can do.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    To me church is church and I leave mine in my car under the seat out of view. I would rather hear the word and give people their peace instead of possibly causing a scene.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    In the ongoing OC vs CC debate, the thought has struck me: how do you, personally, view your EDC? Is it a talisman to prevent evil from befalling you-and-yours, or is it another tool you carry, like nail clippers or a pocket knife; carried in case of need?

I would think seeing another member carrying a pistol openly in church would be distracting, at the very least. Personally, I would take such a NATURAL reaction into account if I were going to carry in a church; it just seems to be a common courtesy to others to not deliberately distract them in a venue where one would not ordinarily be expected to see weapons displayed.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Technically you can carry there, get them to put you on the payroll, 1 hour a month janitorial, heh, just tell them they probably shouldn't tell their insurance carrier.

The school is acredited, and the daycare licensed. Not entirely sure they are going to hire a noobie, or grant a noobie express written permission.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Absolutely carry at church. CC, I mean, I'm usually wearing a suit coat so it's easy. Our denomination has at least one pastor that was martyred, in part, for advocating for the lawfulness of carrying defensive arms - specifically in the worship service - actually taught it was the people's DUTY to carry arms in church for the defense of themselves during meetings.

James Renwick - d 1688.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    To me church is church and I leave mine in my car under the seat out of view. I would rather hear the word and give people their peace instead of possibly causing a scene.

If and when the day comes that their peace is shattered by a violent criminal, I hope you are able to somehow reconcile your choice, having relegated to the parking lot an effective means of preventing or minimizing whatever damage is inflicted.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Personally I would find a different church, or just not mention it but I would always carry. Which is worse, hurting your pastor's feelings by taking an inanimate object into a building or the feeling you will get IF someone ever did happen and you needed it but it was in the car?

If I didn't like my preacher and my church, maybe then... He is also a gun guys, however we get a lot of new people(mostly people who are lost) and he doesn't want to scare them off before getting a chance to minister to them.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Our church we recommend CC. We accept that there are dangerous people in the world. But we aspire to be a community of peace. Peace with God, Peace with ourselves, and peace with those in the church who might be anti-gun.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Simply being employed isn't enough - you actually have to be authorized instead. Become a member of the security team.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't open carry much anyways so not a big deal.

I had a women at church look at me the other week with a startled look, "Where's your jacket? Why aren't you carrying to protect me?"

I told her I had my Supertuck rig on instead. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I don't see anything wrong with CC but personally, I don't feel church is the place for OC. People are there to hear the word but to many of them will get lost glaring at your piece. I am the type of person that can respect a smokers right to smoke but just because he can smoke doesn't mean he needs to blow the smoke in my face. Same with a gun. Just my personal thoughts.

Well said! I don't feel there is a need to OC in a church. it's a respectful place and you should respect everyone there as well.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    If and when the day comes that their peace is shattered by a violent criminal, I hope you are able to somehow reconcile your choice, having relegated to the parking lot an effective means of preventing or minimizing whatever damage is inflicted.

When my time comes it comes. I survived 2 tours in Iraq, a brain tumor when I was 7, so I'm not too concerned if my time comes listening to the word

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    When my time comes it comes. I survived 2 tours in Iraq, a brain tumor when I was 7, so I'm not too concerned if my time comes listening to the word

Well, yeah, the dead have it much easier. They don't have to cope with the aftermath, the senseless loss of innocent friends and loved ones to violent crime

...or be haunted by the knowledge they might have been able to make a difference. You can always pray that you don't survive such an ordeal.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Well, yeah, the dead have it much easier. They don't have to cope with the aftermath, the senseless loss of innocent friends and loved ones to violent crime

...or be haunted by the knowledge they might have been able to make a difference. You can always pray that you don't survive such an ordeal.

That's funny you should say that because I have seen things in war you probably wouldn't understand. I guess you must of forgot what i said earlier about surviving Iraq twice, or were you too busy trying to attack my beliefs?

Top Bottom