• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    If you only go to Church for 1 on 1 time with Him and you don't believe that anyone else matters there, then you might as well worship from home... I wouldn't have a problem with OC at church, and I OC/CC depending on what I am wearing, not the other way around.
    Church clothes I would OC in, because I usually wear that type of clothing anyway.
    However, why cause divisions? I can see plenty of people who would complain, and or leave because of personal beliefs or their children.

But I don't go to Church, and I don't consider myself to be a member of any religion, but if I was required to chose, then it would be LDS.

If that makes any difference

I'm sure you could ask the pastor, who would probably be all for it until half the congregation yaps his ears off.

So in case anyone got confused, I was not flip flopping.

I'm saying... I don't go to church
    If I did, I wouldn't care
    I don't believe others should care, and I think they should just be quiet.
    But they won't and you don't just go to church for 1 on 1 time.
    And it could cause divisions
    So you should probably just CC.
    You could always OC once and see the reaction, if they start whining, then give in.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Are you really that self absorbed to think that in church it is just between you and God? There is an entire congregation there as well. It's not about what others think, it's about coming together as a group to worship. The congregation is there to worship, not discuss the fact someone chooses to OC. CC is definitely appropriate but why create any tension amongst members of the church who don't feel comfortable with OC. It's about respect....not about worrying about what others think. Any threat that may arise can be delt with just as easily by CC if that's the concern.

It is OK in my mind to use your rights such as OC. That said, There are places that certain things are just not proper.....rights or no. This is a distraction in church. Use your head and respect others at least in church. CC and be prepared. This is not a place to display. That is my personal opinion.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    Just to be clear. I do not OC everywhere ....but I do believe that everyone has the right to OC anywhere it is legal to carry. If the Priest/Preacher has issues with it then by all means he should respect the wishes of the man who is in charge of running that private property. Not bow to the pressures of others in the congregation. That being said, if the person in charge doesn't mind....then carry as you wish.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Actually I must be. I'm pretty sure I go to church for a deeper understanding and connection to God....not to judge those around me. If the people talk, well then....that's not very Christian-like....is it? I'm just saying you shouldn't change your ways because of what others think....if that doesn't resonate with you...then cool. You do you...I'll do me.:twocents:

Sounds pretty judgemental to me.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Only occasionally when I'm working there and remove a covering garment, but then I'm just around a few people. Unless there were a point to it I generally wouldn't during regular services, primarily because I would rather have people focusing on what I or someone else is saying than what I'm wearing.

I think as with most things it depends on your individual situation. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "wrong" but it might be terribly inappropriate in some circumstances.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I do not attend religious events. That said, I open carry for comfort and to not appear a soft target. To this end, I OC everywhere I am legally allowed to carry. I don't see why this would be any different in a church. It's not like a criminal is going to decide not to do bad things in a church because it's a church. I respect your choice to CC but I don't understand flip flopping between OC/CC based on location unless you are carrying in a location that you are not legally allowed to.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Those who live by the sword,
    will die by the sword

That's what He said.

Well that's an easy game to play:

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

There's a vast chasm between using a weapon as a tool of domination and using a weapon as a means of defending others. Feel free to PM me if it's something you would like to discuss.

drifter197

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    s/w indy
    CC brother. i OC all other times, but not church. have been to churches were OC was ok. does not look good to some new people at your church (stumble reason as stated by OP).

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I have never CCed in church. I have OCed in a church with a daycare. I can't see what the issue is. No one ever mentioned the gun. Carrying a gun is only a big deal when you make it one. Me, I OC everywhere with no exceptions. I'm not going to change what I do because someone may not understand it. If you keep hiding, they'll never understand it.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I cannot reply like I would like to without breaking the rules. I will just say that people not liking something and causing someone to stumble are very different. I'll be glad to discuss this over PM.

The stumbling is why my preacher requested I leave it in the car

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The stumbling is why my preacher requested I leave it in the car

Personally I would find a different church, or just not mention it but I would always carry. Which is worse, hurting your pastor's feelings by taking an inanimate object into a building or the feeling you will get IF someone ever did happen and you needed it but it was in the car?

bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    CC is encouraged at my church. There are actually about 15 of us that are going to get some training in september from a retired New Orleans SWAT officer that travels to different churches to help with Emergency planning and proper building clearing techniques. Should be alot of fun.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Because if you are doing it right, church should be as much about others as it is yourself (if not more). First and foremost it should be about God. God says we should not be a stumbling block to others.

I am ALWAYS armed at church. I choose to CC, so as to not interfere with others ability to focus on worship. Am I giving up my rights? Not really. No more than turning up the thermostat when my in-laws from Arizona visit to make them more comfortable.

It not about me!

Why worry about what others think? It's between you and God at that point. What others think or don't think of me.....never enters my decision making process. Will what others think stop a crime if it happens to you?

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    OC at Church

OC = open carry ( I know this now ) Ahhhh lets review why we are talking about OC, CC, CHURCH, SCHOOLS, SCHOOLS IN CHURCH, SECURITY AT CHURCH, SECURITY AT SCHOOLS, LEO'S, THEN MY FAVORITE WAL-MART AFTER CHURCH. I realize on INGO I am a plinker but the rest of life I am not. I have not shopped at WAL-MART for over 10 years before that I timed myself to go Sunday morning and be out before 11 AM. What has happened to this country, review just the few things in caps. Lets pray while we open carry at church because we cant trust the schools and the response time of law enforcement is not fast enough but weird people that cant get a job come to church because they are hungry and the job they had once is in China because wal-mart forced the mfg. company to do this because of labor rates so they make more money but the church teacher is weird and was on a website but the LEO's don't like OC because it makes "normal" people scared so lets mandate gun free zones and turn the kids loose in wal-mart after church and curse as they misbehave and run into other shoppers because we forgot what the lesson's at church. Can you OC at wal-mart now because I CC at DG where I get my cheap china stuff and look at the same children that have no manners or correction or forgot the lesson that was to be learned at Church by the weird teacher that was fired somewhere else and the good parents that turn them loose but look down on the poor person looking for a meal. Wow what has happened P.T.L. & P.T.A. :dunno:

MiCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   1
    Sep 1, 2011
    Camby, IN
    Most people at my church know I'm a gun fan. One day I was approached by the youth pastor who asked, "Do you carry a gun?". I told him yes. "But, you don't carry it at church do you?", he asked. I thought, "here we go, I should probably just say no and avoid this". I told him yes. He answered, "Good! I feel better knowing that."

This may be a "so what" story to most of you, but until 6 years ago I spent almost my entire life in liberal land Illinois. Guns were mostly ok for hunting or plinking, but to carry one! Illegal and preposterous! So glad I moved here. God Bless Indiana!

RoosterJC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Carmel, IN
    I have been CCing at church 20 years; I also feel it could be target rich for BGs.
    OC seems to be over the top and would probably be a distraction.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom