• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    No law that I know of that says an LEO must contact a supervisor to come to the scene upon request. However, most upper administration would expect a first line road supervisor to respond to a scene so long as they weren't on something of greater importance.

I think there is nothing wrong with that question. There is no "Constitutional carry" in Indiana. So most LEOs are at least going to go and speak with the person. Asking the question may provide answers to the original complainant. If I was an LEO working the event, I would just like to know if there is a possibility of a special consideration at the event I'm working at. "I carry for personal protection." is different than "Well, my wife here, we just found out her ex just go out of the county jail. His family is big into 4H, and the reason he went to jail was due to a brutal attack on my wife, so I decided that maybe if we ran into him and he saw off the bat I was armed, that he wouldn't try to instigate any trouble." The question is valid, a simple response of "For protection" should suffice. I guess if one wants to look silly, they could give a silly, witty response.

Nothing wrong with an officer approaching and talking to people... whether they are OC'ing or not and your example is a good reason why (just like if you saw someone with a black eye) or heck even if you just want to be sociable.

Without us being there it is not possible for us to truly know the "tone" in which the OP was approached. Obviously we are assuming it was in a negative one.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Sometimes I think we spend too much time asking the wrong question. We beat the dry withered carcass of "Why open carry?" when maybe the better question is, "Why conceal?"

Note: Full disclosure, I conceal. My reason? I'm not good at 'suffering fools'. I don't want to answer questions, I don't want to interact with strangers, I don't want to create a situation where I make all of you, by extension, look like anti-social pricks just because *I* am, so all gun owners must be. I don't want to be a 2a ambassador.
    That is an AWESOME post!! Very sound logic and judgement used here.

Just because we all like/use/collect guns, does not mean that we all want to be a "2a ambassador".

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Sometimes I think we spend too much time asking the wrong question. We beat the dry withered carcass of "Why open carry?" when maybe the better question is, "Why conceal?"

Note: Full disclosure, I conceal. My reason? I'm not good at 'suffering fools'. I don't want to answer questions, I don't want to interact with strangers, I don't want to create a situation where I make all of you, by extension, look like anti-social pricks just because *I* am, so all gun owners must be. I don't want to be a 2a ambassador.
    Holy cr#p, batman, an honest answer. You sir are my here of the day, rep inbound.
    Notice, class, how the poster does not confuse his feeling with facts, nor does he create convoluted, allegedly logical arguements to support his position. His position boils down to "because that's the way I want to" and should be respected and celebrated by all, just as a person who OCs does so because they want to and should be respected and celebrated by all.:yesway:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    That is an AWESOME post!! Very sound logic and judgement used here.

Just because we all like/use/collect guns, does not mean that we all want to be a "2a ambassador".

I absolutely agree. Even those who do enjoy that role, may not want that every time they are out.

I just don't want to interact with strangers unless I have a reason to, and I CERTAINLY don't want a bunch of strangers trying to interact with me. All I want is basically to be left alone, to do what I want as long as I am not harming anyone, and live my life as I wish.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

The bigger question is:

"Why do gun owners, who are fighting the same battle for their rights, bash other gun owners for their method of carry?"

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Not exactly. You can lawfully be prohibited from carrying in buildings with courtrooms (presuming no residential or business tenants in that same building, in which case you cannot be prohibited from carry in public areas or in the areas used by those tenants) but you are not forbidden by state law to carry in buildings with courtrooms.

Case in point: My wife and I went yesterday to get her LTCH app filed. The building to which we had to go was our local sheriff's office, which is also the county jail, which contains a courtroom for the magistrate. There was no metal detector nor any sign forbidding firearms in the building, though the door through which a couple of people were going to go see the magistrate had adhesive letters on it, each of which looked to be a foot in height, reading "no cell phones". I was lawfully armed and carrying concealed and never had a moment's trouble.

I don't mean to pick nits, I just don't want to have us unintentionally spreading misinformation. It would be an easy mistake, and it could, unfortunately, snowball easily.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Thanks for that clarification, Bill. I had indeed mis-read the law (or got hit by the snowball :)). However, I do wonder whether allowing a city to enact and enforce a "provision" means that they can pass a law barring carry into buildings housing courtrooms without having signage and / or metal detectors. In other words, could you break the law just by walking into that building, assuming that the city had enacted that provision?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    The answer is - because some gun owners... aren't fighting for it at all.

So we come back around to the same old, "if you don't do it MY way, you fail" argument? We're losing our rights because some people choose to exercise them in the way THEY choose rather than the way you'd like them to? But isn't that... Aw, never mind.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    The answer is - because some gun owners... aren't fighting for it at all.
    Very, very wrong. YOUR way is not the ONLY way. There are a lot of ways to support our rights. Support pro 2A politicians, contribute to 2A causes, etc. We currently have the right to OC or CC. It is your choice how you carry or even if you carry.

In fact, it could be said that open carry costs us our rights. It might actually make others that are anti 2a and fearful of citizens with arms take further action as they are reminded of current law. Without seeing that big, bad, gun, they must just go about their business instead of starting petition drives to their state senators.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Very, very wrong. YOUR way is not the ONLY way. There are a lot of ways to support our rights. Support pro 2A politicians, contribute to 2A causes, etc. We currently have the right to OC or CC. It is your choice how you carry or even if you carry.

My point it, some gun owners just want to have guns, ignoring the larger responsibility to protect and defend their rights.

In fact, it could be said that open carry costs us our rights. It might actually make others that are anti 2a and fearful of citizens with arms take further action as they are reminded of current law. Without seeing that big, bad, gun, they must just go about their business instead of starting petition drives to their state senators.

:bs:
    Go ahead, hide in your hole. The rest us us will do our best to preserve your right to have a gun.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Sorry and I didn't mean to offend. I guess I didn't really mean "very very wrong". That was a bit over the top, but the post kind of hit a note to me. There are a lot of ways for people to accomplish a goal and usually it takes a team using different approaches that work together to achieve that goal. Both offense and defense as it were. That's what I was trying to say.

It is by no means one group or method that is at fault for the rights that have been previously lost. Win as a team, lose as a team.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    So we come back around to the same old, "if you don't do it MY way, you fail" argument? We're losing our rights because some people choose to exercise them in the way THEY choose rather than the way you'd like them to? But isn't that... Aw, never mind.

Straw man :noway:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Elkhart County Fair has this posted on their website and I believe there is something similar at the entrance.
    The Elkhart County 4-H Fairgrounds is private property and operated by a not-for-profit organization. Rules below are strictly enforced.

No alcohol, No glass bottles, No skateboards, No bicycles, No rollerblades, No pets & No weapons of any kind are permitted on the fairgrounds during the Elkhart County 4-H Fair. These rules are enforced for the safety and protection of all our guests and exhibitors.

I have seen lots of people open carrying pitch forks at the Elkhart County 4-H Fair. :dunno:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Sorry and I didn't mean to offend. I guess I didn't really mean "very very wrong". That was a bit over the top, but the post kind of hit a note to me. There are a lot of ways for people to accomplish a goal and usually it takes a team using different approaches that work together to achieve that goal. Both offense and defense as it were. That's what I was trying to say.

It is by no means one group or method that is at fault for the rights that have been previously lost. Win as a team, lose as a team.

Well, I completely agree, and I'm not offended. But people who make a point to hide their 2A support are as good as worthless to the cause. (Not saying they aren't good people in other ways.)

And you all know I'm right- many MANY gun owners don't give two cents for politics or gun rights.

Can you imagine if we all as a group got up and voted for the most gun-friendly candidates? We'd change this country, because there are so many of us.

Unfortunately, most gun owners don't even get off their couches to vote. That's what I'm talking about.

Top Bottom