• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Like the title said. Was not a bad experience though. One employee asked if he could help me and i said i was looking for dog toys, he told me where to go. Once there another employee asked if i had a permit. I asked if he was a law enforcement officer, he said no. I said then i am not required to show it to you. He asked if i had a badge and i said yes. He asked if he could see it and i said sure, so i showed him my fire department badge. (was trying be humerous, he didnt think so much of my joke) He asked if i was a cop, and i said no, just a fireman. He said that i needed to leave. I asked him if it was corporate policy or just his and he gave me a sad story of him wishing he could carry to. So i left, and told him i would not be a customer anymore and left.

My only gripe, is that he came all the way accross the store to bring up the issue. If he was a gunowner, and really did relate to how he feels being disarmed in the store, then why would he go out of his way to ask me to leave?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It might be a good idea to look up Dollar General's corporate info and inquire about their policy. It does seem ironic that he sought to keep your from carrying in the store when he himself was lamenting on his own inability to carry in the store. It must be that old "if I can't do it, you can't either" mentality that I see so much.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I really think that some people just get a rush out of being able to tell others they have to leave...makes them feel powerful or something.

Sheesh, i wouldnt shop there either!

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Like the title said. Was not a bad experience though. One employee asked if he could help me and i said i was looking for dog toys, he told me where to go. Once there another employee asked if i had a permit. I asked if he was a law enforcement officer, he said no. I said then i am not required to show it to you. He asked if i had a badge and i said yes. He asked if he could see it and i said sure, so i showed him my fire department badge. (was trying be humerous, he didnt think so much of my joke) He asked if i was a cop, and i said no, just a fireman. He said that i needed to leave. I asked him if it was corporate policy or just his and he gave me a sad story of him wishing he could carry to. So i left, and told him i would not be a customer anymore and left.

My only gripe, is that he came all the way accross the store to bring up the issue. If he was a gunowner, and really did relate to how he feels being disarmed in the store, then why would he go out of his way to ask me to leave?
    The way he answered your question about policy I would say it is just his policy. Not that it means much but I've been in a couple Dollar Generals while OC and had zero issue.
    CC but it is getting hotter.

It never fails. :rolleyes:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I really think that some people just get a rush out of being able to tell others they have to leave...makes them feel powerful or something.

Sheesh, i wouldnt shop there either!

This!
    I believe the employee wished he could carry in the store, but human nature is human nature. "If I can't do it, then neither can you."

Btw, I don't think I've been to a dollar general where I would be comfortable with people carrying a firearm... :laugh:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sounds like he was confused between staff policy (he can't carry at work) and customer policies. Maybe lodge a complaint with corporate? I would hate for them to lose a loyal customer over an employee's misunderstanding of policy. :D

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    CC but it is getting hotter.

It never fails. :rolleyes:

Here we go AGAIN... :horse:

conceal-carry-up-the-irons-demotivational-posters-1315168177.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess this was up around Indy somewhere? Was there a "no guns" sign?

At the risk of jinxing myself, I just don't see stores doing that down here...probably will now, though.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My wife and I were walking the Pennsy Trail Saturday before last when we noticed all of the IMPD activity around the Dollar General @ Irvington Plaza. It was about 9AM and cops were driving all over looking for a hold-up guy.

I don't know if anyone was hurt - but I bet word spreads to other DG's and they re-hash all of their safety bs to make the employees feel better. I can hear it now, "Comply, be a victim... yadda".

Why do we have almost all ladycops on the Irvington beat area anyways?

-1 Dollar General and their chinese dogtoys and the rest of their chinese crap.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Let me answer this!!! I work at a Dollar General! To my knowledge, it is NOT against corporate policy to ban firearms in the store. Only employees are forbidden from carrying a weapon in the store. Now, was it a manager that approached you? If it was in Indianapolis, that store may be in our district, i might be able to do a little good from this. Where exactly is the store? Address i mean.

However!!! The company is obligated to keep their customers safe. With that being said, my guess is that people were complaining, and the manager HAD to do something about it, in fear of reparations. Give me as much details as possible, i might be able to get in touch with that store manager, or let our DM know of the situation.

To add to this, if it WASN'T the manager that asked you to leave, GO BACK AND COMPLAIN! An employee (such as myself) has no authority to ask someone to leave just because they are spooking a few other people!

This is pissing me off knowing this happened, possibly in our district as well, please, more info on what happened

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I won't get engaged in the OC/CC debate. I will only make the observation that a unarmed person who tells an obviously armed person, who is not causing a problem, to leave the building has a lot of balls.

Kinda like the liberals who think they can disarm the American public....

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Let me answer this!!! I work at a Dollar General! To my knowledge, it is NOT against corporate policy to ban firearms in the store. Only employees are forbidden from carrying a weapon in the store. Now, was it a manager that approached you? If it was in Indianapolis, that store may be in our district, i might be able to do a little good from this. Where exactly is the store? Address i mean.

However!!! The company is obligated to keep their customers safe. With that being said, my guess is that people were complaining, and the manager HAD to do something about it, in fear of reparations. Give me as much details as possible, i might be able to get in touch with that store manager, or let our DM know of the situation.

To add to this, if it WASN'T the manager that asked you to leave, GO BACK AND COMPLAIN! An employee (such as myself) has no authority to ask someone to leave just because they are spooking a few other people!

This is pissing me off knowing this happened, possibly in our district as well, please, more info on what happened

I've been asked to leave before too.. I was told "It was a corporate thing"

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    I guess this was up around Indy somewhere? Was there a "no guns" sign?

Don't "no guns" signs not hold any value against the new laws? I may be wrong, but I'm new to OC'ing. I thought they can only ask you to leave and get you on tresspassing, but not for legally carrying a weapon at the store. Luckly I've had no problems yet, mostly I just get people asking if I'm a cop, if anybody even notices. In which I reply, "No, I'm just a responsible arms citizen, excercising(sp) my 2nd and rights".

Top Bottom