• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    I work for a bank where we are strictly forbidden from carrying a gun, or even having it inside the branch. My co-workers all know that I'm a "gun guy" and that I frequently carry outside the bank, and go shooting often (usually twice a week, weather and money permitting).

I would LOVE for a responsible, license carrying citizen to OC in our branch. Our company policy doesn't state anything about not allowing customers from OCing in our branches, and I don't honestly think they'd be asked to leave. Better yet, I'd love for a gun-rights activist group to stage an OC protest, to allow employees to carry at their place of employment.

I get that it's best not to antagonize a robber, especially a bank robber, especially an armed bank robber, but I still feel if the robber knew everyone in the branch was carrying, they'd go pick an easier/less dangerous target.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Don't "no guns" signs not hold any value against the new laws? I may be wrong, but I'm new to OC'ing. I thought they can only ask you to leave and get you on tresspassing, but not for legally carrying a weapon at the store. Luckly I've had no problems yet, mostly I just get people asking if I'm a cop, if anybody even notices. In which I reply, "No, I'm just a responsible arms citizen, excercising(sp) my 2nd and rights".

There may be certain nuances, but basically in Indiana, a "no guns" sign is a policy statement of the property owner...sort of like a "no shoes, no shirt..." sign. And if you are unwilling to comply with the property owner's policy, you are unwelcome on their property.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    There may be certain nuances, but basically in Indiana, a "no guns" sign is a policy statement of the property owner...sort of like a "no shoes, no shirt..." sign. And if you are unwilling to comply with the property owner's policy, you are unwelcome on their property.

Ahh, gotcha, so it more tresspassing than anything else. Luckly, I haven't seen any "no gun" signs anywhere I've gone yet. I've looked everywhere I go into. I definatley enjoy OC'ing more, and will continue to as much as i can.

Thanks for the clarification! Rep inbound for the help...

cst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Sounds like he was confused between staff policy (he can't carry at work) and customer policies. Maybe lodge a complaint with corporate? I would hate for them to lose a loyal customer over an employee's misunderstanding of policy. :D
    Good point -- make sure we don't punish the entire company for one persons ignorance of policy's if indeed that's the case.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    I o.c at the one on 56th and Emerson all the time, my girlfriend works there. She said they were never told of a policy

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Ahh, gotcha, so it more tresspassing than anything else. Luckly, I haven't seen any "no gun" signs anywhere I've gone yet. I've looked everywhere I go into. I definatley enjoy OC'ing more, and will continue to as much as i can.

Thanks for the clarification! Rep inbound for the help...

Not exactly.

Company "policies" or "rules" against carry are not held to any standard in IN. A gun buster sign must be written in such a way that prior entry with a firearm is considered trespassing, i.e. "If you are exercising your 2A rights in this building, you are trespassing and are subject to police jack-booted thuggery." Only if it specifies that you are trespassing can you be subjected to a trespass warning/arrest. If it is not worded in such a way (most aren't) then they must ask you to leave, and you must refuse, before trespass is the issue.

Otherwise, it's just a stupid company policy or rule and they can pound sand until they specifically ask you to leave.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    eastside of indianapolis. Cumberland branch off of washington. probably 10,000 to 12000 something east washington street, between cumberland road and carol road.

I will take this as far as it needs to go to let the employee get an education if indeed it is not corprate policy.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Not exactly.

Company "policies" or "rules" against carry are not held to any standard in IN. A gun buster sign must be written in such a way that prior entry with a firearm is considered trespassing, i.e. "If you are exercising your 2A rights in this building, you are trespassing and are subject to police jack-booted thuggery." Only if it specifies that you are trespassing can you be subjected to a trespass warning/arrest. If it is not worded in such a way (most aren't) then they must ask you to leave, and you must refuse, before trespass is the issue.

Otherwise, it's just a stupid company policy or rule and they can pound sand until they specifically ask you to leave.

OK, that's what is was thinking. A companies policy for customers may be no guns, but does not hold any legal value, unless there is a "guns=tresspassing" sign or "no guns" sign right? I just want to make sure I get it right if I have a bad encounter or don't see a "no guns" sign... Rep inbound for the help...

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    OK, that's what is was thinking. A companies policy for customers may be no guns, but does not hold any legal value, unless there is a "guns=tresspassing" sign [STRIKE]or "no guns" sign[/STRIKE] right? I just want to make sure I get it right if I have a bad encounter [STRIKE]or don't see a "no guns" sign[/STRIKE]... Rep inbound for the help...

FTFY

No guns signs hold no weight of law. They're a "suggestion" or a "rule" or a "policy." They can put all the no guns signs up they wish, they cannot enforce them any more than asking you to leave.

ETA: There are states in this country that have laws on the books that do make it legally enforceable if you carry in a location that has posted a no guns sign. Indiana is not one of these states.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    eastside of indianapolis. Cumberland branch off of washington. probably 10,000 to 12000 something east washington street, between cumberland road and carol road.

I will take this as far as it needs to go to let the employee get an education if indeed it is not corprate policy.
    I know that one, sounds like an OC/CC event to me !!!!!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington

I did this aftermy ordeal at the local wally world. I make sure to go through those people who were pointing fingers and talking about me while OCing. The one lady hates it, but I've already spoken to the manager and his boss. The one lady really seems to not like to do it, but I have made her more comfortable with it, as she was joking with my kids the other day.

If you approach it as an educational opportunity and not wanting someone fired (unless they touch you) it seems to typically work rather well.

Good luck man.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    FTFY

No guns signs hold no weight of law. They're a "suggestion" or a "rule" or a "policy." They can put all the no guns signs up they wish, they cannot enforce them any more than asking you to leave.

ETA: There are states in this country that have laws on the books that do make it legally enforceable if you carry in a location that has posted a no guns sign. Indiana is not one of these states.

OK, gotcha, that's what I originally thought. Makes me feel better though, having clairification. Thanks again for the help!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Like the title said. Was not a bad experience though. One employee asked if he could help me and i said i was looking for dog toys, he told me where to go. Once there another employee asked if i had a permit. I asked if he was a law enforcement officer, he said no. I said then i am not required to show it to you. He asked if i had a badge and i said yes. He asked if he could see it and i said sure, so i showed him my fire department badge. (was trying be humerous, he didnt think so much of my joke) He asked if i was a cop, and i said no, just a fireman. He said that i needed to leave. I asked him if it was corporate policy or just his and he gave me a sad story of him wishing he could carry to. So i left, and told him i would not be a customer anymore and left.

My only gripe, is that he came all the way accross the store to bring up the issue. If he was a gunowner, and really did relate to how he feels being disarmed in the store, then why would he go out of his way to ask me to leave?

I OC in my local Dollar General all the time. Never had an issue.

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    I work for a bank where we are strictly forbidden from carrying a gun, or even having it inside the branch. My co-workers all know that I'm a "gun guy" and that I frequently carry outside the bank, and go shooting often (usually twice a week, weather and money permitting).

I would LOVE for a responsible, license carrying citizen to OC in our branch. Our company policy doesn't state anything about not allowing customers from OCing in our branches, and I don't honestly think they'd be asked to leave. Better yet, I'd love for a gun-rights activist group to stage an OC protest, to allow employees to carry at their place of employment.

I get that it's best not to antagonize a robber, especially a bank robber, especially an armed bank robber, but I still feel if the robber knew everyone in the branch was carrying, they'd go pick an easier/less dangerous target.

I have accounts at two different banks and I OC in both of them with no problems.

I even went into ine in Lapel IN (not my Bank) to see if they could cash a check for me. She said sorry that she couldn't unless I had an account there. As I was walking out asked me to come back. She asked for my ID, I thought she changed her mind about helping me. She asked if I was a cop, she must have seen my weapon as I was walking out, I told her no and she again said sorry that she couldn't help me. Maybe if I had been a cop she would have helped me. No real issues very polite, but I think she wanted to see my ID so she could identify me IF anything did happen.:dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    However!!! The company is obligated to keep their customers safe. With that being said, my guess is that people were complaining, and the manager HAD to do something about it, in fear of reparations.

Huh..? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

So the manager was in fear of having to personally monetarily compensate the customer who complained??
    Perhaps you meant repercussions :whip:, not reparations, or is Dollar General that serious about pleasing :spend: their customers? :dunno: :dunno:

Definition of REPARATION

1a: a repairing or keeping in repair b plural : repairs

2a: the act of making amends, offering expiation, or giving satisfaction for a wrong or injury b : something done or given as amends or satisfaction

3: the payment of damages : indemnification; specifically : compensation in money... ...usually used in plural

Definition of REPERCUSSION

1: reflection, reverberation

2a: an action or effect given or exerted in return : a reciprocal action or effect b : a widespread, indirect, or unforeseen effect of an act, action, or event —usually used in plural

Top Bottom