Observation on the first day of firearm season...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    And how many deer have you shot? (over how many years?) ;)

I hate purists who only shoot at deer on Thursdays, mornings, and at spittin' distance, broadside, after winning a 2 dollar scratch off ticket. Had enough of that nonsense on some trad archery forums.

Some folks are content to shoot once every 5 yrs LOL.

I take the first good shot offered, don't wait for "perfect" and I've missed 2 deer with a shotgun in 30 yrs of hunting. I jerked the trigger like an idiot after having one buck run does back and forth in a pine tree farm in front of me for 45 minutes. He finally shows in an opening, I had to stand on my tip toes to clear a big branch in the tree nearby, am 25 ft up, and I flat out jerked it. The gun cycled and the next shot dropped him. Tough position, had me worked up a bit, and I broke concentration at the last nanosecond. Only shot on deer I ever jerked. 50 yards broadside, and I missed it :facepalm:

The other miss I ran 100 + yards to cut off some does and shot over one at 150. Coveralls, big boots...........yeah, my heart was a pumpin'.

I've shot them on the run, about a half dozen, and not missed. Scored multiple good hits too. I've shot and missed 2 deer with a muzzleloader, and taken about a dozen. A couple were running too (didn't miss those). The ones I missed both had shots hit crap I didn't see. One the deer was up high, I had J hooked it, and there was a log with a projection right where my roundball went. Silhouetted, she looked kinda dark and I couldn't see the log branch that matched her color. Blasted her with sawdust :)

The other was with my Knight, in a CRP and the bullet hit some stuff and went super off target. I went out next day, the doe came in, and with only head visible above CRP, I decided there was no ability to make it through the slightest of weeds (even when it looks minimal), so shot her in the head.

I jumped one many moons ago and smoked her with a roundball, quartering away, offhand, iron sights............at 187 yards. I lined her up with a tree, and a branch on it corresponded to my drop. At my local range we put clays on the bank and shot from the parking lot when nobody there. D =175 yards.
    Close enough that with aiming point, I felt the shot doable, even at steep angle. I lined her up twice and she just kept looking over her shoulder, so on the 3rd line up i touched off. Elbow was on hip bone, rifle on finger tips, sling used, and the trigger was "light". Pinwheeled her, with slug exiting middle of neck. Went about 75 yards or so. Initially with tail up I thought WTH? And then she fell down :) I paced her from hit down to where I shot, hill. And my steps are pretty good since I used to shoot 3D archery. There are tricks to making some shots, and indeed they can be practiced. Lots of people don't know that though, and see where some dude pops on at decent D and think "hey if he can i can". The devil is in the details man, in the details.

The gun was bought cheap off a bud who missed a cow elk with it. The tang didn't hook properly, and he used a tang peep so it would vary. I put the bbl sights back on and had to glass bed the stock due to poor bbl fit (TC Renegade he bought new). I even lapped the bore. It would cloverleaf at 100 off the bench.

Currently run a Hawken Silver Elite, bought it in '95. It's only been shot in 4 deer seasons. One could make a statement about that gun and its usage and give off a certain impression (almost 20 yrs and never missed) :)

Handgun, I've missed maybe 3. One I missed twice on the move but when he stopped I dropped him. 2nd shot was a miss but grooved the fur (he zigged when I though zag). On another forum some dude called me a pistol missing bullet whippin' mall ninja for that one :)

One I missed at 150 yards. But I got him on the next shot. Iron sighted Ruger Super Redhawk. Foolish, I admit it. I won't do that again. But I was mad and did it, brought home an 8 pt (suffered from fair amount of ground shrinkage too).

The other was with a Ruger SBH and I was pretty new to deer hunting. I flat out dunno how I missed that deer. Maybe hit something, maybe peeked.........have no freakin' idea.

Making me mad just thinking about it all these yrs later.

I do know my eyes aint like they used to be, and my different job has cost me some of my fine pitch motor skills (used to work under microscopes). So I can't take the shots I used to. I don't even try.

It flat out sucks getting old.

By the time I get my own good deer ground I'll be where I can hardly shoot worth a crap.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Heck I went 5 for 5 with a recurve over a couple of seasons. And then plop, my ego slammed the deck.........missed one last yr. Missed one this year (in hurricane wind).
    The one last yr was looking at me, ducked it pretty easy LOL.

For the billy bad*sses with guns I suggest bowhunting. Traditional gear too.

It'll put you in your place. Even when you do it right, that time of flight can really burn ya.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And how many deer have you shot? (over how many years?) ;)

Let's see... I'm almost 35 years old... And have been deer hunting exactly once in my life. When I was 15 or so. Didn't see anything anywhere close enough to even attempt shooting. :rofl:

(Still haven't missed, though)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I figured it was a Jitterbug tied with Spiderwire.........

But still wanted to slam those super ethics types who post their blather on some trad archery sites.
    Some folks are better shots than others, and with that, can take (and make) shots others wouldn't.

What kills me is how some folks shoot at stuff hoping to hit it. That does not compute.
    You shoot knowing you'll hit it, where you aimed. Or you don't shoot.

Of course on rare occasion the deer don't get the script.

Last edited:

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    3 shots, 5 shots, 10 shots who cares as long as you get it done. Sometimes stuff happens im sure everyones intent is one well placed shot but lets face it if you wound one your gonna empty your gun trying to put it down.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Day 2 of deer hunting it sounded like all hell was breaking loose. Where I hunt they have put and take pheasant hunting, and at 9am I hear dogs running, hunters yelling at dogs, and shots galore. Lucky for me it sends the deer running thru the woods and right to me, I scored a 4pt at 11:23am. Multiple shots have been good to me for the last 25 years. BTW I hunt with a single shot 44 magnum, loaded with 44special rounds.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    My fear is, what are they shooting at? I have heard hunters talking in a cafe. One was telling the others that he didn't have any luck that day other than a "sound" shot. Yes, he shot at a noise in the brush then investigated what he may have hit!
    That's scary.
    My next door neighbor no longer allows hunting because of the cows that hunters shoot, then don't own up to until confronted about it! What happened to being sure of your target?

BigHoss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    It seems you always hear at least 2-3 shot volleys. If you hunt Big Oaks, as I do, you will hear 5-6 shot volleys multiple times all day!

Top Bottom