Observation on the first day of firearm season...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Part of the problem

I can't speak for every missed shot, but I have a really good idea what causes a LOT of them.

The NIGHT before opening (well after dark) people will rush into the store to buy a gun, a scope, base mount and rings...have somebody slap it all together, bore sight it, and pick up a box of ammo that they don't even know if that gun will like...
    Then they climb up in a dang stand at first season chance and expect bore sighting to be zeroed accurate at 100 yards with unknown ammo to boot.

Pure genius.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    They do the same with bows.

And with such a lack of respect for the game they supposedly try to hunt, it's my guess such folks suck at their jobs, parenting and pretty much anything else.

An idiot or slob doesn't just show his/her self come hunting season.

It is then that it seems more people notice the poor actions of them.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep sounded like a war zone in my AO also. I heard the same guy, dump a semi-auto shotgun, BANG BANG BANG BANG, 3x, yes 15rds fired over 3 missed deer hahaha.

Heard another guy fired 8 times quickly.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Take no solace in a miss.

It's just a slightly bigger screwup than a wounding shot.

Work to avoid either.

I disagree, this isn't the case for a serious hunter. After following the great outdoors forum I would say HICKMAN is pretty serious about hunting and his passion for trying to do it all the right ways.

In his case, a miss would fall in the "learning" category vs. your "screw up". I bet if he missed he would analyze it and figure out what he did wrong and not make that mistake again.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A common muzzleloader (due lack of a quick second shot) for some may be a "hit or miss" affair.

I think it should just be "hit" ;)

Like I said, work to avoid missed shots and wounding.

BTW that would fall under that "learning thing" you mentioned ;)

The screwup is still a screwup, but a hunter learns from it and makes sure it doesn't happen again. Lots of folks with licenses slinging lead and arrows, are not hunters.

Missed shots and or wounding may be part of the hunting learning curve, but by golly, folks need to make sure their learning curves are freakin' fast.
    Too many are content to stay in one "grade" year after year.

Seen it for decades, on the ranges, shops and other. Some folks don't take pride in their work.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Take no solace in a miss.

It's just a slightly bigger screwup than a wounding shot.

Work to avoid either.

Roger that, I'd rather miss all together than wound.

I teach my son's to either take a killing shot or we don't shoot. One shot, one kill.

My 13yo hunted out of a tree stand in his first solo hunt yesterday.

We discussed the conditions of when he'd shoot or not and what his maximum range was.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Roger that, I'd rather miss all together than wound.

I teach my son's to either take a killing shot or we don't shoot. One shot, one kill.

My 13yo hunted out of a tree stand in his first solo hunt yesterday.

We discussed the conditions of when he'd shoot or not and what his maximum range was.

This! :yesway:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I have heard that too, multiple shots. especially at sundown. I keep hoping it is someone just "unloading" their gun into the dirt and not actually trying to hunt by suppressive fire...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    well, my son and I only hunt with muzzleloaders so that we can hunt both firearms seasons. We either hit or miss.

Ditto that.
    There is quite a difference in making a shot and "shooting at deer." If you can't put it where it's needed with one shot, you shouldn't pull the trigger.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I dont know about the rest of you, but when I see a deer that I want to shoot in my range, I empty my gun at every time.

Of course, I shoot a muzzloader so its one and done :-) I didn't hear a lot of the multiples up in Stueben Co this weekend, but I have before. My personally pet peeve is when people talk about their hunts and they say "I got a couple shots off today" or something similar. I was taught to know you and your weapon's abilities and stick to them. Otherwise you have no business being in the woods.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I personnally like the idea of the C.O. coming round with a pie plate, setting it at 50 yd and if you miss it they revoke your license for the year. Kind of like a skill test they give to get another kind of license to hurl metal at other living things.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I personnally like the idea of the C.O. coming round with a pie plate, setting it at 50 yd and if you miss it they revoke your license for the year. Kind of like a skill test they give to get another kind of license to hurl metal at other living things.

I would vote for it!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I wouldn't be fond of being in the woods of Beirut opening morning but I wouldn't be wanting more regulations/testing/whatever involved in licensing. I'm not hunting this year as I've been too busy with school to get to the range more than three times but from listening starting about 6:45 am, it has sounded like empty the tube of the ole 12 gauge at anything that moves.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    tippecanoe county went nuts.. with 30 acres+ out my back door, thats all i heard. and had good reason not to go.. boom boom boom.. boom ba boom.. i could call shots from which part of the woods people were hunting.. gotta love county land. :facepalm:

i intend on going out to see if my stand has been molested..

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012

Great idea, I don't see it ever happening , would think it's reasonable.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Man, with all the hunters missing shots out there - perhaps we need to institute some kind of slug-only legislation for deer hunting? I mean - to keep distance the projectile travels down - to keep all the other hunters and surrounding houses safe?

Also: In all my years, I've never missed a shot on a deer. So there.

-J-

Top Bottom