Observation on the first day of firearm season...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    what i'v seen is there is not many deer around here.......not very many shots per hunter in the woods around me.......i'v seen no deer today.....there is something wrong:eek:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm goin out this morning and sit the trail the bucks were chasing a hot doe on last night. wind is still right for it and there'll be more bucks following the scent this morning.
    I only shot once last night with my pistol. Clean miss from what I could find.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    This is why I prefer Archery anymore. Firearms season brings out the worst in people. It is just sickening to think of how many deer are laying out there wounded and suffering tonight because of a poor shot. :rolleyes:

Bad shots are not limited to gun hunters, I have found more dead/unrecovered deer from misplaced arrows than gunshots.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Well, you didn't hear me fire 3+ times. I fired once, dropped a 6 pointer with that one shot. Slugs are too dang expensive, especially sabots, to spraying and praying. Picture to come

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    Agreed! I even heard a volley of 6 shots! Incredible. Maybe those guys should be given a single shot gun....

Just after one of these volley's, I texted my buddy suggesting China must be invading to the east....

overall I think I heard fewer shots throughout the day compared to recent years. We only took 1 off the property where I was hunting.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    For what it is worth, I shot 3 times tonight and harvested a doe. I missed on my first (50 yds), and she walked about 10 yards then stopped. I shot her again and this time hit her. I dropped her right there. After 30 minutes I walked up to her and found her alive. Shot her again to finish her off.

The second shot (first hit) broke her spine it turns out and she couldn't move her back legs.. The third was a good heart/lung shot and she died quickly.

I think I aimed a bit too high on the first. The gun is sighted in at 50. Maybe I flinched too, or she was closer than I estimated.

So, don't knock the 3 shot wonders. Sometimes t happens. :ingo:
    It happens, show me someone that says they "never miss" and I'll show ya a liar

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I find it funny how nearly everyone on INGO isn't part of this "shoot more than once" crew.

We are full of dead-eyes around here.:rolleyes:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I find it funny how nearly everyone on INGO isn't part of this "shoot more than once" crew.

I can't remember the last time I missed with the first shot. About half the time I put a killing shot in from close range, but in the last decade at least the first shot has always hit pretty much where I was aiming.

Most of it for me was when I became a serious shooter. I still don't care that much about hunting itself. That's just the legal way to fill the freezer, but I take pride in my shooting ability and I'd feel less competent if I was missing, especially in the hundred yard range which I now consider a boring distance to shoot at.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Bad shots are not limited to gun hunters, I have found more dead/unrecovered deer from misplaced arrows than gunshots.

yup, found this guy with a "rage hole" in his shoulder blade.

Someone lost a dandy.

29623_10151174563733528_1471441998_n.jpg

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land

I've shot more than once but its been a long time. Ive been hunting since I was 9 yrs old, I have never once emptied the tube on a deer, max I've ever shot was 4 at a 4 point when I was 12. Needless to say, I didn't get it. Dad taught me afterwards that if you can't hit it with 1 shot, you're not going to hit it on the run with 4 more. Since then, I've maybe fired more than once 2 or 3 times. I never try for a deer more than 100 yds, or on the run, In the area I hunt, its densely wooded, so even seeing one at 100 yds is tough.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I spend time sighting my gun in and selecting the most accurate loads. Me personally, I have OCD but I spend too much money and time on this passion to get up at 4am...layer up and make my way to the stand to potentially miss a trophy due to poor prep. I can see how a guy can shoot more than once though. If you misjudge distance or get nervous and miss sometimes the deer don't run. You get a second shot a fair amount of time depending on the distance. Maybe you bought the deer bundle...like another member said he took two doe in a row...I assume a autoloading shotgun.

I have only ever taken two shots on one deer and that was with a TC omega. Shot my biggest buck in the lung from 80 yards and hit ran into the tree line and stood behind a tree up against it. He was hurt but big enough to stand up still as the shockwave was a pass through. So I loaded again frantically and brought him down with a second shot not knowing the first was fatal.

With that said...there are some nut jobs out there and why I enjoy the peace of archery. I often wonder if some guys shoot the same deer multiple times for fun even when its down.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Make the first shot count. But be ready to deliver another ASAP, and do so if there's any question.

The problem then............."any question".

Too many people think they're better at stuff than they are. And even if they have an honest view of their abilities, that doesn't mean they'll process the info at the time of the event correctly. Some folks who are OK in those regards might just have slow processing speeds.

Doesn't matter.

I hear stories year after year, have for decades, and many when I worked in a shop.............about the single shot delivered and lost.

You shoot the deer and unless you know what the heck you've done (and that takes some experience IMHO) you shoot the thing again if you have the opportunity.

The object is to kill the animal as quickly as possible.

Sure some jerks just shoot like crap and or don't care, rely on followup shots. If you mandated single shots for them they'd save on ammo, but still shoot like crap. The problem is in their heads, not their gear.

Top Bottom