Observation on the first day of firearm season...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    It must just be in my area, but the people hunting with firearms today seem to not be able to hit the broad side of the damned barn... I was able to make it out to hunt tonight (archery only :) ), right about sunset all hell broke loose. I couldn't find a single hunter who took a shot who didn't shoot at least 3 times... I don't know why, but I find this disgusting...

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I was about to make the same post. What ever happened to one well placed shot ? The least amount of shots I heard was 3 ,and 5 (in 5 seconds) was the most. I never saw one person drag a deer out. I have to think people are shooting at running deer or deer 300 yards aways. Yes it is disgusting and ridiculous.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I was about to make the same post. What ever happened to one well placed shot ? The least amount of shots I heard was 3 ,and 5 (in 5 seconds) was the most. I never saw one person drag a deer out. I have to think people are shooting at running deer or deer 300 yards aways. Yes it is disgusting and ridiculous.

That is my exact thought... If you are going to hunt, you need to practice with your equipment and become good with it. If you have to force the shot, then you shouldn't take it. If you can't hit the deer at the given range, you shouldn't take the shot.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I hear that where I hunt too, but I have water close to where I hunt & I was hoping it was duck hunters. I have seen them shoot before, with a few hunters shooting at a incoming flock it sounds like full-auto.
    But I have seen a few so-called hunters that unload at the first sight of a deer.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i was at Roush Lake Range today. watching people sighting in their muzzleloaders.
    theyd -lock it in- at 50 yards and then move to 100, and itd be WAYYYYYYYY off.
    would guess they need to stalk their deer closer without the smell of PBR and not showering for days blowing on the wind.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012

I hunted this morning and had the same experience. The sun came up and the shooting started in all directions. Didn't see squat. Rapid firing! I was a little scared out there.

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    This is every season I hear this crap. Drives me nuts! After I squeeze my shot off, I`m not even thinking about a follow up shot. Just paying attention to where the animal goes, if anywhere.
    Know your weapon and your abilities and there will be no problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I lost track of how many shots I heard in the area of Morgan-Monroe, but there were very few single shots taken. I really think folks just shoot at the first thing running without concern of where they hit it. The only deer I saw come out of the woods had already been wounded according to the shooter who finally got him down.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    you should see all the people at the gun stores the day before opening day. Wait til the last minute and don't sight your gun in, and then blame the damn gun??? That's funny...

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Arrived at my tree at 6:30 a.m......heard first shot at 6:42......believe it was still pretty dark an before legal shooting time by about 20 min....5 min. later saw oultine of hunter trespassing across property....a few hours later he returned an saw me an made bee line all the way around my properrty....hear WWIII next door....when I left hunters coming out empty handed.....lol. I once heard a hunter shoot 6 times a few yrs back...I approached him since he was a fence sitter, then saw I knew the guy...I asked what he saw....a big buck.....where.....running through the weeds over there....over there was like 300 yds away!!!!! I just turned an walked away saying to myself.....OMG.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Spooky

Same story here...

I have an old buddy that has a place down on Lake Lemon. A few years back I hunted opening day with him and his son. i had my oldest with me too.

We had scouted out a couple of good spots that were about a 20 minute walk from the truck back into the woods in Morgan-Monroe. To me, that is a long way, especially in the dark. Anyway, we got a late start that morning. Got to our parking spot and there were a half dozen vehicles parked along a 200 yard stretch of road. My son and I passed 2 guys on our way to our stand. These guys were maybe 50 meters into the woods. Really made me nervous that we were all so close. Stupid and unsafe.

Lots of shooting. "Bam...Bam, Bam, Bam.....Bam" We kept hearing shots from 3 different spots behind us. Almost like somebody got bored and started blasting chipmunks or whatever.

I don't hunt there anymore. We used to have a "deer camp" thing going but it was just too crowded and unsafe.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If I don't spot my shot I'll put another in for insurance.
    I'll take movers with a repeater too, and go "bam bam bam".
    It's fun, even if the extra holes (in the proper area) mean a little more mess and maybe some meat loss.

Meat loss, yeah whatever. Insurance shots making it arrive at the check-in with your vehicle, and not somebody else's ;)

If you shoot good, and want to hit 'em more than once. Go for it.

I'm sure some folks who only shot once missed their deer today.

Last edited:

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    This is why I prefer Archery anymore. Firearms season brings out the worst in people. It is just sickening to think of how many deer are laying out there wounded and suffering tonight because of a poor shot. :rolleyes:

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    This is why I prefer Archery anymore. Firearms season brings out the worst in people. It is just sickening to think of how many deer are laying out there wounded and suffering tonight because of a poor shot. :rolleyes:

ya it takes skill and practice to kill with a bow. takes scouting,shooting,being quite, covering up scent, sitting still, calling ect. to get a deer with a bow.

anyone can put the crosshairs on a deer and pull the trigger fast as you can.
    well not everyone a lot of those guys still come home empty handed.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    My 11 yr old killed his first deer this morn at 810, (1) WELL PLACED 250 gr LSWC from his 44 mag made short work of his buck. (1) VERy proud young hunter and (1) VERY proud dad. Today we made memories and lessons that can be used for the rest of his life.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    ya it takes skill and practice to kill with a bow. takes scouting,shooting,being quite, covering up scent, sitting still, calling ect. to get a deer with a bow.

anyone can put the crosshairs on a deer and pull the trigger fast as you can.
    well not everyone a lot of those guys still come home empty handed.

Thank God nobody ever wounds with a bow.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    It must just be in my area, but the people hunting with firearms today seem to not be able to hit the broad side of the damned barn... I was able to make it out to hunt tonight (archery only :) ), right about sunset all hell broke loose. I couldn't find a single hunter who took a shot who didn't shoot at least 3 times... I don't know why, but I find this disgusting...

You're not out the Washington center/Felger Rd area are/were you?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    For what it is worth, I shot 3 times tonight and harvested a doe. I missed on my first (50 yds), and she walked about 10 yards then stopped. I shot her again and this time hit her. I dropped her right there. After 30 minutes I walked up to her and found her alive. Shot her again to finish her off.

The second shot (first hit) broke her spine it turns out and she couldn't move her back legs.. The third was a good heart/lung shot and she died quickly.

I think I aimed a bit too high on the first. The gun is sighted in at 50. Maybe I flinched too, or she was closer than I estimated.

So, don't knock the 3 shot wonders. Sometimes t happens. :ingo:

Top Bottom