1E7F9E7C-87DA-42C3-B801-3992B1224995-49168-00001E878ECD5F73.jpg

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I posted this to Facebook shortly after Obama's remarks last night. I think it's despicable and callous of him to use the Newtown memorial service to further and build support for his political agenda.

"I'm currently typing in a field here on Facebook labeled "What's on your mind?" I just finished watching the Newtown memorial service, and, as it turns out, "a lot".

Of course, my heart is both broken by the unspeakably tragic loss of 26 innocent lives (20 being children under seven years of age) and touched by the strength and compassion of the community of Newtown and everyone else from this Nation and around the world who've come together in support of the victms' families and others directly affected by this horrible act. There's little left to say, and much time left to heal together.

I offer no apology to those who think Facebook shouldn't be used to express the views I'm about to put into words. Facebook is our chance to tell the world who we are, to share our views, our passions, our fears--whatever we choose to reveal. I'm going to write about the future of our Nation. If you think that's inappropriate, please feel free to stop now or even unfriend me. I know relatively few will read this, but it's who I am and I feel it must be said.

I listened to the President's speech tonight after hearing a staff member state that his remarks wouldn't be 'political'. Between the speech's eloquent beginning and ending, it most certainly was. I saw in him a deep resolve enact change in the wake of this tragedy. Although he wasn't specific, that can really mean any combination of several things: improved security procedures on school grounds, addressing the potential dangers posed by the mentally ill, restricting violence in video games, and gun control. I believe the latter is at the top of his list.

I believe we are at a very vulnerable time, emotionally, in our history, and I implore our citizens to consider very carefully the proposition which is forthcoming. We will be coerced to trade, to some extent, our right to our most effective means of self-defense for the promise of security some form of gun ban would bring. I ask you all to consider the effectiveness of such a program, as has been practiced in the State of Illinois (particularly Chicago) for many years now. How can disarming law-abiding citizens help to reduce or eliminate such tragedies in the future? Do we take cars away from safe, conscientious drivers because drunks kill and maim on public roads everyday? How can the loss of rights of the honest and law-abiding be justified in the name of the actions of the lawless?

We've got our priorities all wrong here. Why isn't anyone talking about the shooter's mother, who failed to secure her weapons from a son she was well-aware had mental health issues? Why didn't more of the shooter's peers speak up, louder and more often, about the danger they felt he posed? And if they did, why didn't those in authority take more action to prevent this from happening? Also, we're hearing a lot of talk about how precious the lives of those children were. That's obvious, of course, but what isn't obvious enough is all the precious lives being cut short due to the irresponsibility that comes with the easy availability of abortion as a means of retroactive contraception. Those children will never get to hug their parents again--not ever, in fact, but who's looking out for them? Where is the grief and sorrow? The brilliant mind that could oneday cure cancer may have already been lost. Or perhaps a future President, or the inventor of some wonderful contrivance which would help to ease society's burdens and improve our collective standard of living.

The answer to these challenges is simple: personal responsibility and accountability for one's own actions. Whether it's firearms or whatever goes on in your bedroom (or backseat), if everyone would simply own his or her own actions and live every day from the perspective of making the world a better place through his or her own deeds and interactions with others, we wouldn't be legislating our way toward a "safer" society--we'd already be there."

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I can't even read this entire thread. Yes, I feel that what has happened is a terrible tragedy, but it is astounding to see how many tin foil hat wearers are a part of this community.

Will the same people that have pushed for gun control continue? Yes.
    Will those people succeed? No.

I am extremely tired of ignorant statements attacking Obama, when Romney was much more likely to institute another AWB if he would have been elected. Yes Obama may be slightly anti-gun, but he will not push an AWB. Stop being paranoid.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I can't even read this entire thread. Yes, I feel that what has happened is a terrible tragedy, but it is astounding to see how many tin foil hat wearers are a part of this community.

I am extremely tired of ignorant statements attacking Obama, when Romney was much more likely to institute another AWB if he would have been elected. Yes Obama may be slightly anti-gun, but he will not push an AWB. Stop being paranoid.

:popcorn:

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN

Time will tell, and it won't take long.

colts1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Kokomo
    KW im sorry but obama is very anti-gun. His administation has came out several times to say that he is in favor of another brady bill or something similiar. With the latest horrible events i think that not only could we be looking at another brady bill but maybe something even tougher i.e. a mix of chicago,new jersey, and california all mixed into one

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Please explain to me how he would do it by executive order and go around congress? I want factual information that can be checked concerning previous and similar motions, not hearsay from what infowars told you.

A short google search brings up:

Online NewsHour: Taking Aim -- April 6, 1998

I seem to remember Bush I issuing a couple, but I can't find them right now.

You'll learn a lot by reading up on this, talking to people who were around during the Bush I and Clinton reigns, and using google.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    There is no other way to interpret what he said other than strict gun control. Will someone please remind me again how passing restrictive laws on law abiding citizens will deter those hellbent on NOT following laws?

I saw a clip of an interview with Boxer who said "we can't let the rights of a few endanger the safety of everyone."

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I think Obama could issue an executive order ruling that any gun capable of carrying more than 10 rounds needs one of those $200 tax stamps. He could also classify the clips this way. That means a $20 PMAG would cost $220 including the tax stamp.
    Good thing my magazines will be safe then. I don't have any guns that take "clips".

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    "Things Must Change" I think we all know what he means by that one simple statement. He is going to try and ban our weapons. The fight has begun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am no fan of Obummer. We watched the speech partially from respect to those family's in loss and suffering and also because they forced us to.
    He said change is needed. He also said we need to change and no set of rules and laws will make this happen. I agree but here we go. More rules and laws.
    He rambled at a point as he was attempting to provide solace....we did not see any....and to stand up as the man and promised to do all in his power to prevent this kind of tragedy.
    Tighter gun laws will not prevent this. Managing people from on high will not prevent this.
    Dealing with those who are lost and having mental issue is only a start.
    Evil lives in the hearts of some. You can not legislate evil out of our society.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    And so how many anti-gun measures did he push through the congress in his first 4 years?

Well?

Zero.

Well ya got us there, we have to hand it to the President, he DID give a bunch of FREE guns to Mexican drug dealers and got at least one of our good guys murdered....he's a great pro-gun President. Here here!

Top Bottom