• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Feedlots with large numbers of hogs and cows do actually contaminate the nearby streams into which the runoff drains as well as the groundwater that flows beneath such sites. If you have ever seen a stream that runs through such a site, you will probably see little or no aquatic life, except for surface bugs and lots of slimy looking green stuff. Poopy water will be very depleted in oxygen. It can be a problem for adjacent residents several miles away from the site depending on the concentration and other factors. However, that being said, the bammer should let the individual states handle such problems and get his ugly face out of trying to micromanage this country and worry about the path that he is fast taking us down to another deeper recession. I grew up in an area in this state and saw a lot of Amish farms in the Adams County area. The Amish must be a lot richer in Pennsylvania to have farms large enough to pollute a river a long way off. I guess that you can tell from my posts that I do not have any confidence in the bammer that he will make my life anything, but worse than it is now and I hope to live for another 25 years or so. Just my two cents.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The dairy farms on I65 do a very good job of processing their manure into both energy and fertilizer.

Other farmers could learn a lot just from taking the free tour up there.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    It's really about the government attacking self-sufficient people free of the slave devices the rest of us have grown accustomed to living with (gas, autos, electricity, internet, i-pods, TVs).

The Amish are a Free people; and, the #1 goal of the NWO is to destroy freedom.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've got to say, I'm suspicious of anything the New York Times has to say, these days. In fact, if the NYT said the sun was going to come up in the East tomorrow, I'd plan to be outside to check for myself. Using a NYT article is simply giving us Obama's propaganda talking points, usually.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    'Bout time. Never trust someone that dresses in all black.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wod7Lc_r5wY]YouTube - Weird Al Yankovic - Amish Paradise ( Lyrics )[/ame]

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Feedlots with large numbers of hogs and cows do actually contaminate the nearby streams into which the runoff drains as well as the groundwater that flows beneath such sites. If you have ever seen a stream that runs through such a site, you will probably see little or no aquatic life, except for surface bugs and lots of slimy looking green stuff.

Huh, that's weird. My family has put through hundreds of thousands of hogs through our farm, and a steadily flowing waterway is about 200 yards from the buildings that feeds directly into a creek. Never had any issues.

Also, we've got about 250 cows with a creek that runs through their pasture. They wade though, drink, ****, and **** in the creek. Here's the shocker: there's plenty of life in the creek!

So, to kill a creek takes a very large **** up. It's not a side effect of having a farm, it a side effect of being a dumbass.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I've got to say, I'm suspicious of anything the New York Times has to say, these days. In fact, if the NYT said the sun was going to come up in the East tomorrow, I'd plan to be outside to check for myself. Using a NYT article is simply giving us Obama's propaganda talking points, usually.

Using the leftists at the NYT to counter enviro leftist talking points seems like a good like a good thing to me. :):

starcrack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Nordic, don't let your belief blind you to the facts. The Amish, in this case, are clearly in the wrong here. If there's anything the government should do, the first and foremost thing is to preserve the integrity of our most basic infrastructure--water. This particular government action is an EPA directive. It's not as political as you think. It would be a waste of time for the POTUS to even worry about this stuff.

Unfortunately, for some people, no matter what they read, see, or hear, their prejudice twists it into ammunition against those they hate. But as a citizen (I'm guessing) of a democratic state, you have the responsibility to keep an open mind.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Nordic, don't let your belief blind you to the facts. The Amish, in this case, are clearly in the wrong here. If there's anything the government should do, the first and foremost thing is to preserve the integrity of our most basic infrastructure--water. This particular government action is an EPA directive. It's not as political as you think. It would be a waste of time for the POTUS to even worry about this stuff.

Unfortunately, for some people, no matter what they read, see, or hear, their prejudice twists it into ammunition against those they hate. But as a citizen (I'm guessing) of a democratic state, you have the responsibility to keep an open mind.

I suppose, to an extent, all of us have bias and prejudice. It's a function of our past experiences, acquired knowledge (whether true or false) and attitudes picked up from those around us in whom we place trust. Based on the EPAs previous actions, which are quite often capricious-seeming and unfriendly to citizens/taxpayers for little perceived environmental gain, please don't expect me, as a taxpaying citizen, to blindly accept _anything_ the EPA recommends, any more than I would blindly accept anything the AMA, National Pharmacological Association (if there is such), ABA, or anyone has to say. Their records of self-serving policies, power-grabbing, and just plain wrongness tend to make me take anything they say with a _huge_ amount of skepticism.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Huh, that's weird. My family has put through hundreds of thousands of hogs through our farm, and a steadily flowing waterway is about 200 yards from the buildings that feeds directly into a creek. Never had any issues.

Also, we've got about 250 cows with a creek that runs through their pasture. They wade though, drink, ****, and **** in the creek. Here's the shocker: there's plenty of life in the creek!

So, to kill a creek takes a very large **** up. It's not a side effect of having a farm, it a side effect of being a dumbass.

QFT. I am the first generation in my family to NOT live on a farm and everyone lives well into their 80s drinking well water.

As long as you're not an idiot about it, manure doesn't adversely affect the environment and in almost every other instance is beneficial.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I wonder if it's there self suffiencey that bothers the big O. These people do not need him in any sort of way at all. If everyone doesn't have the need to depend on the messiah, then his mission falls short of complete. :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Nordic, don't let your belief blind you to the facts. The Amish, in this case, are clearly in the wrong here. If there's anything the government should do, the first and foremost thing is to preserve the integrity of our most basic infrastructure--water.

What facts am I blinded to, brother? I'd feel alot different of Obama if didnt have a proven track record that was not so negative.

I dont believe the Amish are in the wrong. They've lived this way since they waddled off the boat, no other President or media ever bothered until now.

And yes, folks, I think it has something to do with they're ability to be self sufficent. I know the Fed was getting angry with people out west, who lived solar power to the extent that the Power companies were not getting cent.

And if you want to talk about preserving the water, come tell the Indpls Water company, that MY running water either taste like bleach or smells like fecal matter.

This particular government action is an EPA directive. It's not as political as you think. It would be a waste of time for the POTUS to even worry about this stuff.

Politic's doesnt influence agenda? Direction? or supposed facts?

I thought America learned it's lession on that issue.

Unfortunately, for some people, no matter what they read, see, or hear, their prejudice twists it into ammunition against those they hate.

Why is it twisting?

or ammunition against those "they" hate?

But as a citizen (I'm guessing) of a democratic state, you have the responsibility to keep an open mind.

Absolutely NOT. You are not required nor do you have the responsibility to be 'open minded'.

Remember being "open minded" got us into all the mess the U.S. has ever recieved.
    Usually this "open minded" mindset is always pushed on Traditional Christian Americans - They are asked to give up they're Traditional ways, and be open minded.

Try telling a Liberal athiest to be open minded toward the Traditional American values, watch the beast attack - Never pretty.

:twocents:

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Nordic, don't let your belief blind you to the facts. The Amish, in this case, are clearly in the wrong here. If there's anything the government should do, the first and foremost thing is to preserve the integrity of our most basic infrastructure--water. This particular government action is an EPA directive. It's not as political as you think. It would be a waste of time for the POTUS to even worry about this stuff....

You serve your master well.
    BootLicking.jpg

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Yeah, but how do you decide when you don't trust either of them?

They are both devoid of common sense. You have to make you own call.

Just saw about 300 head of cows in a feed lot with the rain pouring down. No doubt headed for the nearby creek. No fisherman are going to die because of it. And anyone that would think otherwise is full of it!

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    I suppose, to an extent, all of us have bias and prejudice. It's a function of our past experiences, acquired knowledge (whether true or false) and attitudes picked up from those around us in whom we place trust. Based on the EPAs previous actions, which are quite often capricious-seeming and unfriendly to citizens/taxpayers for little perceived environmental gain, please don't expect me, as a taxpaying citizen, to blindly accept _anything_ the EPA recommends, any more than I would blindly accept anything the AMA, National Pharmacological Association (if there is such), ABA, or anyone has to say. Their records of self-serving policies, power-grabbing, and just plain wrongness tend to make me take anything they say with a _huge_ amount of skepticism.

Check :yesway:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Question:

If the cows are polluting the water. And Amish live off the land.. Why arent the Amish being posioned?

**** flows downstream?

Really though these incidents cause more of a stir because they kill life in the water not because they make people sick.

Plus, they have wells that aren't pumping water out of the creek they put their **** in.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Nope. It's not going to kill YOU. You don't have a well in that water table or live downstream of all that cow crap. It's killing the fish downstream in the Chesapeake Bay and putting a lot of fishermen out of work. Would the Amish be better off if they were just sued out of existence by the people they're harming with their bad farming practices? Pig farms in Indiana have to control their manure to protect the watershed, why should the Amish be any different?
    Your average Amish farm in the area that is being discussed only holds 3 horses, and maybe 30 head of cattle. With each farm having approximately 400 acres of ground. By using almost any guideline that I know they are well within the amount of stock/acre that is acceptable for both watershed management and grazing. The piles of manure laying around probably result from the fact that the ground it would be spread across is possibly under crops at this time...
    You average Indiana Hog Farmer has approximately 8000 hogs in a confinement operation concentrating the problem...

Saying the Amish are the reason for the Watershed problem... Right?!

Top Bottom