• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Nope. It's not going to kill YOU. You don't have a well in that water table or live downstream of all that cow crap. It's killing the fish downstream in the Chesapeake Bay and putting a lot of fishermen out of work. Would the Amish be better off if they were just sued out of existence by the people they're harming with their bad farming practices? Pig farms in Indiana have to control their manure to protect the watershed, why should the Amish be any different?

"Sued out of existence," really, how are you going to show their unique contribution to the pollution in order to establish liability, or is just being "members of a cult" enough? In the drainage area of the Susquehanna is Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, Harrisburg and Baltimore. All literal ****-holes. Anyone who contends that the Amish are a bigger source of pollution to the bay than those dung-heaps has some sort of axe to grind.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I just have one question:

If the Amish practices are causing this problem, why is this the first time I've ever heard of it?

That is all.

Blessings,
    Bill

I have a strange feeling that 1) You know the answer. 2) You are making an opening for something else. 3) There is more to your question than I am picking up on.

But I'll go ahead anyways and say that you haven't heard of it before because it is a generally infrequent and isolated incident and it doesn't affect you.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I just have one question:

If the Amish practices are causing this problem, why is this the first time I've ever heard of it?

That is all.

Blessings,
    Bill

Disclaimer: This is not an attempt to be a slight against anyone given their religious beliefs,race, or sexual orientation

If I had to take a guess this country has become so PC that singling out anyone that isn't christian white middle class is wrong.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Disclaimer: This is not an attempt to be a slight against anyone given their religious beliefs,race, or sexual orientation

If I had to take a guess this country has become so PC that singling out anyone that isn't christian white middle class is wrong.

I would expand on that a little...I think that not singling out a group that is Christian and white has become wrong in the current climate.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Anyone who contends that the Amish are a bigger source of pollution to the bay than those dung-heaps has some sort of axe to grind.

No one is contending that they are the biggest source of pollution, just a source of pollution.

Should the Amish be excluded from laws just because they are Amish?

And everyone, what's with all the name calling? It's starting to sound like a school yard play ground.

Before ya'all start spouting off about things, why don't you do a little research into just what the problem with the bay is, and what they are doing to solve it. If you think they are just going after the Amish, or that this is some new devious scheme by President Obama, you aren't doing your research. The organization, linked below, has existed since 1967.

Chesapeake Bay Foundation | Save the Bay

BTW take a gander at the Chesapeake Bay Watershed, 64,000 square miles.

view.image

More than half of the state (PA) lies within the watershed. Pennsylvania contains two major Bay watersheds: the Potomac, with 1,600 square miles; and the Susquehanna, with 21,000 square miles. Together, they total 40% of the entire watershed.

Or, it could all just be a NWO conspiracy to lower the food production capacity of the area, and enslave the world.

BTW here's a couple of headlines from their news archive:

Toxic cocktail from heavy rainfall could devastate bay • Top Stories (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

One's Place in Food Chain Molds Post-Storm Prospects - washingtonpost.com

Health Worries Over Bay Pollution - washingtonpost.com

Oh, and ya'all may not have heard of this before, because frankly, it doesn't effect any of us here in Indiana. Since I went to college in PA, just off the Susquehanna River, I've heard of their efforts to improve the watershed before. Watershed improvement has a lot to do with making sure pollutants don't enter the tributaries, and streams that make up the watershed. We've been doing the same thing here in Indiana with our watershed. And I generally applaud the effort when it's voluntary.

Last edited:

ak keep the second

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I live on an old cow farm that had tons of cows on it for almost 100 years and my well water is fine. My great grandmother lived here while the cows were here, she just turned 90 and seems to be fine after drinking out of the well for decades. It also seems the Amish arent doing to bad themselves, why cant obama leave people alone!

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I live on an old cow farm that had tons of cows on it for almost 100 years and my well water is fine. My great grandmother lived here while the cows were here, she just turned 90 and seems to be fine after drinking out of the well for decades. It also seems the Amish arent doing to bad themselves, why cant obama leave people alone!

And how was the water quality downstream of your farm?

That's the issue here, not that your water is OK, but the water down stream is polluted.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    And everyone, what's with all the name calling? It's starting to sound like a school yard play ground.

Before ya'all start spouting off about things, why don't you do a little research into just what the problem with the bay is, and what they are doing to solve it. The organization, linked below, has existed since 1967.

Chesapeake Bay Foundation | Save the Bay

Oh, and ya'all may not have heard of this before, because frankly, it doesn't effect any of us here in Indiana. Since I went to college in PA, just off the Susquehanna River, I've heard of their efforts to improve the watershed before. Watershed improvement has a lot to do with making sure pollutants don't enter the tributaries, and streams that make up the watershed. We've been doing the same thing here in Indiana with our watershed. And I generally applaud the effort when it's voluntary.

Having come from Virginia, I am very familiar with the Save the Bay foundation, the Clean Water Act Phase II, and the watershed. This post is more of a forum to allow people to vent their frustration with Obama. You are right, he has nothing to do with the Chesapeake Bay watershed except to stand as a kind of cheerleader providing the occasional sound bite when called for, just as all presidents before him have when dealing with the bay.

As to whether or not the Amish should be exempted: if the government is to have in place a ridiculous, pointless, perfidious scheme by which something as inane as a carbon footprint is the subject of a credit and debit pool, then yes, the Amish should be exempt because if we are playing by the carbon rules, the Amish do a tremendous amount to earn credits towards their carbon footprint. They're not my rules, but they are the ones we are supposed to play by right now.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I must be superman. I have crawled through poop, I have been covered in poop, there has been poop on almost every part of me...worked around poop for years......... yet I'm still alive.
    It's a miracle.....I guess.
    Just don't tell the government......they will probably sanction me.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Why are so many people stuck on playing the race card?
    Why does the majority of political discussion on this board inevitably turn into racial/cultural issues?

It truly amazes me how some folks will just continue to play the same games..........accusing their opposition of the very thing they themselves are guilty of.

The fact is, there is cow poop that depending on who you talk to, may or may not be polluting certain trubutaries and bodies of water. This is the real issue here. The issue is not the white christian middle-class. It's not about a communist black president. It's not about bearded mennonite farmers.

I'll be spending a few weeks around the Chesapeake Bay in August. I'll let everyone know if I see any turds floating in the brakish water while I'm fishin'........

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Why are so many people stuck on playing the race card?
    Why does the majority of political discussion on this board inevitably turn into racial/cultural issues? snip

Because we have a blatantly racist President, with a hatred for Christianity. It is impossible to evaluate the actions if his administration without bearing that in mind.

Top Bottom