• Status
    Not open for further replies.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    This weekend my son and I tried to go to Winimac to do a little shooting. I took 30 East to 35 and proceeded South to the range....a couple of miles down 35 the road was entirely closed. I remembered seeing a detour sign on 30, to go South on 39. So I back tracked to 39 South and followed the detour signs and took 8 to 35.

Last edited:

Penske

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Pretty new to this and don't have my permit yet 10 weeks in out of a possible 20 lol but would love to stop by if thats not a problem ?
    thanks
    Lyal

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Pretty new to this and don't have my permit yet 10 weeks in out of a possible 20 lol but would love to stop by if thats not a problem ?
    thanks
    Lyal

Come on down!!! If you look at the list of firearms coming just bring a box of ammo and most will let you shoot them. Some even let you shoot without even bringing ammo. PM the member who you wish to use the weapon to see if they have a preference on ammo brand. Otherwise it's a pertty loose group that we all come together to eat, chat and shoot away!:welcome:

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    This weekend my son and I tried to go to Winimac to do a little shooting. I took 30 East to 35 and proceeded South to the range....a couple of miles down 35 the road was entirely closed. I remembered seeing a detour sign on 30, to go South on 39. So I back tracked to 39 South and followed the detour signs and took 8 to 35. I proceded North on 35 just to hit another road closing before I could get to 500N. Unless someone knows the back roads to get into the range, they won't find it.
    So my son and I just went to JP.

Why are the roads closed? I travel East on 30, then South on 39...I can find another way if necessary, but is this going to be an on-going closure?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Why are the roads closed? I travel East on 30, then South on 39...I can find another way if necessary, but is this going to be an on-going closure?
    Code:

I don't live in that area....but if one of the INGO members live in Knox they would know.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    To get around the detour, I take RT. 30 east to RT. 39 south to the end "T" intersection RT. 10 and go east to County Road 300 West (old school that is a church on the southeast corner) and turn south this will turn into County Road 200 East at the jog in the road and take you right to the parking lot for the Winamac range. Hope this helps. Woodrow, you should have gone south on RT.35 from RT. 8 to get to Winamac as it is south of RT. 10 by at least 6 or 7 miles.

Last edited:

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    Well, the problem is you were looking in the wrong county. If you took 39 south to 8 and then went north on 35, you were in Starke County. You need to be in Pulaski County. When you hit 35, you should have gone south. If I remember correctly, the Starke county line is around 800 S and then you will come to 800 N but in Pulaski County. The 500 N you are looking for will be another 3 miles south from the county line.

Each county numbers it roads as miles north or south (or east or west) from it's 'basline, which is usually the county courthouse so if you started out 5 miles north of Knox, in Starke county, you would be at 500N (starke) and if you traveled 10 miles south, you would be at 500S (Starke). Since the range is off of 500N (Pulaski), you can't start paying attention to the road signs until you get to the Pulaski County line.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I can't make this one either. Leaving for a family vacation on that day.

What size and thickness is the plywood that they use at the range? I am likely to be able to get some free. And frequently.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I've never had any trouble getting there, I just didn't know if the road-block would affect me traveling south on 35. I mistyped "39" above, but it is really 35. South on 35 through Knox to Winamac. In rereading the above posting, I don't see any issues with my route that I couldn't get around. Thanks.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    Looks like I can make it. Will have my 10/22 and Mossberg 500. Still all I have for now. Will bring a cooler with drinks and some snacks to share.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well we need at least 3 for the 25 yard range. I think the 50 yard can use 4 of them.
    Clif45 was going to get some as well (buy them) and bring them Saturday. At time point (time/date wise) whatever we bring WILL NOT be used for the event. When I called they said they will gladly take a donation of the plywood but are only allowed to put new plywood up on Mondays.

I still want for us as a group to take a donation of plywood and leave it there even if we don't get to use it this time. It will most likely still be there for us in SEP. Actually in SEP we can coordinate better so someone can drop it off a week before we go.

However this will show the DNR people that we are very thankful for what they do for us and the fact that we are now really taking up a lot of the range space for for stuff (tables, grill, chairs, etc...) and they have not said no to us.

Someone please, please, please remind me that we need to take a plate of food to the DNR folks in that little office along with some pop/water as well. They have been very good to us since we have grown bigger and bigger.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    What was the final word on the roads? Was there a detour or was someone mistaken?

I'm still trying to decide on the best route from St John .... Rt30 to 65 south to 10 east ... Rt30 to 421?/39?/35? south ... or Rt41 south to 10 east.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    This weekend my son and I tried to go to Winimac to do a little shooting. I took 30 East to 35 and proceeded South to the range....a couple of miles down 35 the road was entirely closed. I remembered seeing a detour sign on 30, to go South on 39. So I back tracked to 39 South and followed the detour signs and took 8 to 35.

:dunno::dunno:
    Is this still true?

Looking at google maps the route from Griffith would be...
    1) Take US 30 EAST
    2) Take RT 39 SOUTH
    [strike]
    3) Go in and out of North Judson and continue SOUTH
    4) Take Co. Rd. 800 N EAST
    [/strike]
    3) Take RT 10 EAST
    4) Take Rd. N 200 W SOUTH & you see the range.
    (you will have to pass Co. Rf. 800 N first).

This seems to be a bit easier for us city folks. ;)

ps @ wild duce.
    Why don't use ask your fearless leader if you can borrow the helio for the trip. I'm sure it will be loaded with some full autos as well.

Last edited:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Jediagh, look at my post #46 for directions as you have to take CR 300 west south off SR 10 as you are in one county and the roads are two different numbers for the same road in the other county.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jediagh, look at my post #46 for directions as you have to take CR 300 west south off SR 10 as you are in one county and the roads are two different numbers for the same road in the other county.

Thanks! :rockwoot:

me thinks ya crackers do dis on pepuse so us brown folks from the gehtto can't get 2 your gun range. :D May just have to break down and get me a Hi-Point 2 go with dis bad inglish text. :laugh:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom