NWI INGO General Thread #27 - Fresh Pink Air On US-30 smells like...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Damn @sadclownwp what union butthurt you so bad?
    The lazy engineers who will tell you that it is not their job to fix an HMI, then when you do it for them, turn around and grieve you for doing their job(that they said was not their job). The lazy UAW who even after 3 trainings, and printed directions, can't seem to turn on the computer for a test bench. In reality they just feel that hitting the power button is not their job. Perhaps it is the electricians for dragging their feet to do simple network cables runs that they will not allow anyone else to do. Even though the job would only take me by myself an hour, they demand 4 people at 4 hours each to do the same job. Then they will wait, delay, misschedule until there is a holiday weekend so they can get double overtime. And finally the teamsters who love stacking things in front of network closets so that you can't get to them, even though there are signs telling them not to put anything there.

Then when you try to hold them any of them accountable, they can never find the failure point, because no one was responsible. At some point you see union corruption so much, you realize there is a systemic problem with unions in general.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The lazy engineers who will tell you that it is not their job to fix an HMI, then when you do it for them, turn around and grieve you for doing their job(that they said was not their job). The lazy UAW who even after 3 trainings, and printed directions, can't seem to turn on the computer for a test bench. In reality they just feel that hitting the power button is not their job. Perhaps it is the electricians for dragging their feet to do simple network cables runs that they will not allow anyone else to do. Even though the job would only take me by myself an hour, they demand 4 people at 4 hours each to do the same job. Then they will wait, delay, misschedule until there is a holiday weekend so they can get double overtime. And finally the teamsters who love stacking things in front of network closets so that you can't get to them, even though there are signs telling them not to put anything there.

Then when you try to hold them any of them accountable, they can never find the failure point, because no one was responsible. At some point you see union corruption so much, you realize there is a systemic problem with unions in general.
    My gripe with unions was holding down the appropriate pay level for high performing people while propping up pay for lazy, irresponsible or incompetent people. Why should I get paid as little as someone with less skill?

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Driving through DeMotte today and thought I saw an INGO front license plate. Believe it was a silver, possibly Buick LaSabre.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI

Was this specific to certain facilities? I've encountered that, but I don't feel it's the rule, rather the exception. McCormick place for example, the unions there were all so lazy and greedy they drove out most of the conventions years ago. I still don't think it's recovered. I've worked many other venues/locations in chicago where the unions were responsible and adequately efficient.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Was this specific to certain facilities? I've encountered that, but I don't feel it's the rule, rather the exception. McCormick place for example, the unions there were all so lazy and greedy they drove out most of the conventions years ago. I still don't think it's recovered. I've worked many other venues/locations in chicago where the unions were responsible and adequately efficient.
    There was a report on the local news yesterday talking about the abandoned office spaces in downtown Chicago. Combination of covid, the cost of office space, and the number of folks working remotely. They were optimistic it will rebound. Riiiight, the number of folks working remotely is just going to increase. And expecting the cost to rent/buy office space to go down. Not gonna happen.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    There was a report on the local news yesterday talking about the abandoned office spaces in downtown Chicago. Combination of covid, the cost of office space, and the number of folks working remotely. They were optimistic it will rebound. Riiiight, the number of folks working remotely is just going to increase. And expecting the cost to rent/buy office space to go down. Not gonna happen.
    Pretty sure we are on the leading edge of a commercial real estate collapse. It’s already started with commercial buildings in foreclosure, defaulting on payments, unable to refinance their balloon payments. CRE loans are not like 30 year home mortgages, they are typically 5-7 years with a balloon and the banks effectively make CRE building owners refinance or pay off the entire balloon. But CRE loans are now toxic. Most banks are not making those loans at all. The market is about to collapse.

Best hope is to get a city to rezone the Commercial building into Residential, convert it into an apartment tower. It will also save the cities from a downtown doom loop of all real estate collapsing. If the cities react fast enough.

That brings people downtown, which supports the service industry, it will depress some of the housing market by adding new units to the supply, but it seems like a general win overall.

But overall the commercial rental market is doomed.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    I agree. Real estate is not looking good right now in Chicago. The building I work in has multiple floors of offices that are empty. It used to be filled but I imagine the cost of renting the space out is not worth it. After Covid the companies never returned

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I agree. Real estate is not looking good right now in Chicago. The building I work in has multiple floors of offices that are empty. It used to be filled but I imagine the cost of renting the space out is not worth it. After Covid the companies never returned
    I believe Chicago has re-zoned and approved 4 buildings north of the river to be used as residential towers.

But they need to drive along State Street, Wabash, Clark, etc just south of the river, probably add another half dozen or more buildings to their list that can be converted. It's not cheap to rezone a building, but the city is in trouble. If it gets behind the effort, it can cut some of the red tape and move the process along.

I'm sure the construction unions would back the plan, it will give their workers jobs. I know for fact that banks ARE lending on residential rental real estate ventures, so it would make them happy. I know the building owners, who own commercial buildings and facing inevitable default would be happy to see some commercial property converted to residential. More people there = more customers for the handful of restaurants and retail spaces that are still open, which would save those jobs too.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I believe Chicago has re-zoned and approved 4 buildings north of the river to be used as residential towers.

But they need to drive along State Street, Wabash, Clark, etc just south of the river, probably add another half dozen or more buildings to their list that can be converted. It's not cheap to rezone a building, but the city is in trouble. If it gets behind the effort, it can cut some of the red tape and move the process along.

I'm sure the construction unions would back the plan, it will give their workers jobs. I know for fact that banks ARE lending on residential rental real estate ventures, so it would make them happy. I know the building owners, who own commercial buildings and facing inevitable default would be happy to see some commercial property converted to residential. More people there = more customers for the handful of restaurants and retail spaces that are still open, which would save those jobs too.
    I had a conversation about this subject recently with someone. Their take was that for many/most of those buildings it was cost prohibitive to try to convert them to residential.

Top Bottom