NWI INGO General Thread #27 - Fresh Pink Air On US-30 smells like...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well this is a new thing for me.

I'm now a private coach for a "World Cup" fencer.

A young friend of mine is a world competitor in FOIL fencing. He has dual US and Nigerian citizenship. I've known him since he started fencing as a high school kid. But he fences "Foil" and I coach "Saber" which are different. "Tosan" as we call him, is now 22 or 23, a college graduate, he has been an international competitor for several year and competed in several "world" level events representing Nigeria for several seasons.

Tosan and I spend a lot of time together, I consider him more of a friend than a student ... because he has never been one of 'my' students.

For anyone who knows nothing about Olympic fencing, there are 3 weapons. Foil, Epee and Saber. Think of them as Handgun, Rifle and Shotgun. They all do a similar thing, differently.

Me, I know next to nothing about coaching Foil. But he wants to shift to Saber. Hmmm... I'm a Saber coach. He competes as the Captain of the Nigerian National Team in individual Foil competitions. Now he wants to compete in the Saber Team events. He asked me to be his coach. I'm really not qualified to coach a "world" level fencer but I am able to get him started, improve his skills and move him to a better coach. He's already good at Foil, world class competitor level good.

Last night he spent the evening fencing Saber, his first attempt. Made a lot of mistakes. I was coaching him as he was fencing. He won every bout and beat my best fencers. So clearly there is potential.

This is a new adventure for both of us. One I am looking forward to starting.

Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 7.03.46 PM.png

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    & in future news...

Melensads is hoodwinked of all his raccoons by a Nigerian prince who fool him into being his coach before running off with all the trash pandas.
    Well I know for fact he is not an actual Prince.

He is just a Duke. Or some other lesser royalty. Or maybe just a guy.

His family built a hospital in Lagos. But they primarily live in Chicagoland.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    If anyone has archery coaching experience, I am looking for some volunteers for a scout event on a Tuesday evening at the GPIW. Looking for someone to run the archery range for 10-15 kids for a couple hours. Could also use help with 22 rifles on the indoor range.

Top Bottom