NWI INGO General Thread #27 - Fresh Pink Air On US-30 smells like...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I need better neighbors.

I was out chain sawing one of several small trees that fell and my neighbor pulled in the drive, car remained running so the air conditioner could keep him cool and told me I was doing it all wrong. Of course he is driving an older Lincoln Town Car, so that gives you a hint at how old he is, so clearly he knows more.
    He was trying to tell you to get HoughMade’s neighbor, grab a few cold ones and sit in the passenger seat and watch HoughMade’s neighbor cut the wood!

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Bought a 12" dewalt 20v chainsaw and took care of neighbors downed tree last night. City took everything an hour later. What timing. I gave all the guys on the pickup crew ice cold gatorades.

Love my 16" Dewalt battery chainsaw. Clearing trails at the southern property, between the tractor with grapple and the chainsaw with a couple batteries, there's not much I can't clear out.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Problem is... NIPSCO asks to raise rates.. and everyone says NO!

Of course they do.
    No one wants to pay more.
    But NIPSCO is subject to the same market forces we are.
    So, they cut back.
    Things like tree trimming near power lines.
    So, they cut the crews.
    Now instead of preventative cutting back, they wait till failure.
    Then they have crews that "storm chase".
    Which means, people have to wait.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Problem is... NIPSCO asks to raise rates.. and everyone says NO!

Of course they do.
    No one wants to pay more.
    But NIPSCO is subject to the same market forces we are.
    So, they cut back.
    Things like tree trimming near power lines.
    So, they cut the crews.
    Now instead of preventative cutting back, they wait till failure.
    Then they have crews that "storm chase".
    Which means, people have to wait.
    Good point.

Don't know all the ins and outs, but my REMC gets the power from NIPSCO, but maintains its own lines. We've had some power outages, but with this storm, the power went off at 10pm and was on at 3am....which we know well because, apparently, the bedroom lights were on when the power went out.

They seem to respond very quickly and we have only had 1 extended outage since I've lived where I am (10 years). It's probably due to the fact that there are only 18,000 members.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Doing storm clean up for a few days.

I have learned many new skills.

A shop vac can effectively extract broken glass out of a finger tip

Sweeping broken glass on a concrete patio with a broom beaks up the chards of glass into smaller, and therefore, harder to pick up, pieces of glass

A closed 8' patio umbrella can be blown far enough away that it takes days to find

A shop vac can be used to effectively & efficiently pick up broken glass from your lawn, but do not accidentally suck up dog poop during the process

The in-ground swimming pool is a great place to collect dead carcasses of misc mammals and birds that are killed during a storm

Rain soaked mulch, mixed with broken glass, makes an almost indestructible clog in a shop vac hose that is exactly in the middle of the hose length so it is just as difficult to reach from either end

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

Sweeping broken glass on a concrete patio with a broom beaks up the chards of glass into smaller, and therefore, harder to pick up, pieces of glass

A closed 8' patio umbrella can be blown far enough away that it takes days to find

A shop vac can be used to effectively & efficiently pick up broken glass from your lawn, but do not accidentally suck up dog poop during the process

The in-ground swimming pool is a great place to collect dead carcasses of misc mammals and birds that are killed during a storm

Rain soaked mulch, mixed with broken glass, makes an almost indestructible clog in a shop vac hose that is exactly in the middle of the hose length so it is just as difficult to reach from either end
    Damn. All I had to do was pick up 2 small branches

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

Learned the hard way on patio tempered-glass tables. A thousand million billion razor sharp pieces, half of them embedded in the wood. I might have picked up half of them.

Pro tip: don't walk barefoot under the deck trying to get the other half. Especially don't do it while drunk.

Top Bottom