• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Just got back to the hotel from visiting TUFTS UNIVERSITY in a suburb of Boston. Annual cost to attend the school is just north of $58,000. The school seems to be burdened with a heavy liberal bias in the courses, content and even the campus clubs. I was not thrilled with the school but was doing my best to remain very neutral in front of my daughter, that said, I was pleased when she said this was not a school she wanted to attend.

Tomorrow we are touring Harvard. I don't want her to go there either, but she has the grades to get into any school she wants to attend.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    If the mobil 1 is cleaning out the sludge the oil filter should be catching it. Whatever you do avoid Fram oil filters at all cost. There have been a couple of internet writeups on their shortcomings. If you are concerned about the sludge change your filter, not the oil that has 70 percent or more of its useful life left. Purolator, Baldwin, STP, and my favorite Wix are all quality oil filters.

Fram make STP. I can get oem Toyota filters for about $4 online but I was lazy and got a fram from Walmart.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Ghost, are you going to be working any of the matches this month at NPCCC? I have some questions for you about membership as well as trying to get in there on an off-day. My friend (he chatted with you for a bit at the shotgun match) still wants to try out some of my stuff. It would be easier to discuss my questions face-to-face but I can PM you my questions if you're not going to be at any of the upcoming matches.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    $58k. Holy C&%P!
    More like $58 x 4 (years) = $232,000 for a piece of paper.
    And that assumes no increase in tuition which we all know is incorrect.

-Jedi

Yup. Assume some pizza money and that cost is going to be $250,000.00 for a fancy 4 year degree. What surprises me is that many of these colleges that we are looking at on this trip offer totally worthless degrees like 'wimins studies' as well as degrees that will get you jobs that will ensure you live in poverty for the remainder of your life with a massive student loan debt . . . how you going to pay off a couple hundred grand of college loans if you are making $30,000 a year as a social worker?

By the way, most of the top private universities are charging about the same fees so if you kid is considering an elite school, and has the grades to get in, then you are looking to spend $55,000 to $60,000 a year for these colleges. Its not just the east coast colleges that charge this, its pretty much all the top private schools.

Oh, but most of the elite schools don't do the "piece of paper" diplomas, they actually give sheepskin diplomas. FWIW, my diploma (hand lettered in Latin many decades ago) is on sheepskin and I got that diploma right here in Indiana. Its my understanding that Wabash College still issues diplomas on real sheepskin, and still does so in Latin and may be the only school left in the state that honors its graduates in that way.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    One of the biggest lies ... you need a degree to be fulfilled, happy, or successful.

I totally agree.

A degree won't get you a job either.

Our government is pushing kids into college that have no desire or ability to complete a degree or compete at the level of the kids who actually belong. College is for the "nerd" class of kids who want to work in specialty fields of medicine, law, engineering, etc.

But WTF is a degree in anthropology or wimins studies or fine literature going to do for the average person other than drain the wallets of their parents? Seriously how do these degrees (and many others) get people jobs?

Honestly I think kids who get those degrees are set up for disappointment by "the system" as our wonderful .gov raises expectations that cannot be fulfilled by simply getting a college education. You actually need a PRACTICAL degree if you go to college and you want a job.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    As one of my professors says "school is stupid" in that you don't actually learn any skills that translate to real world needs.

Then you are taking the wrong classes.

There are plenty of programs you can study that will directly get you into a real world job. Engineering, biomedical technology come to mind but that may be because those are things my daughter is centering on and neither require advanced degrees to get you a good paying job. But both will also get you into grad school if you want for even better jobs. 4 year undergraduate degrees in advanced math, physics and chemistry will also get you research jobs, actuary jobs, etc.

What doesn't get enough hype are vocational skills like welding and being a machinist. Those have been downplayed and they are critical skills that our nation is lacking.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Then you are taking the wrong classes.

There are plenty of programs you can study that will directly get you into a real world job. Engineering, biomedical technology come to mind but that may be because those are things my daughter is centering on and neither require advanced degrees to get you a good paying job. But both will also get you into grad school if you want for even better jobs. 4 year undergraduate degrees in advanced math, physics and chemistry will also get you research jobs, actuary jobs, etc.

What doesn't get enough hype are vocational skills like welding and being a machinist. Those have been downplayed and they are critical skills that our nation is lacking.

That's because a lot of people look down on someone that turns a wrench, or uses a solder iron.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    If I could go back Id go into the health field somehow someway... **** turning a wrench and always trying to get the better paying job... I'm constantly dropping applications everywhere, hoping to get that sweet spot somewhere in the 150.....

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    That's because a lot of people look down on someone that turns a wrench, or uses a solder iron.

In large part because we are taught, by .gov, that we should all go to college.

We are taught to aspire to be "more" but nobody teaches us to aspire to be happy and enjoy life. Nobody teaches us that being fulfilled and content is better than being edu-ma-kated but under-employed . . . and under-employed is a term loosely thrown about by .gov to apply to anyone with a degree who is not using his/her degree. But WTF do you do with a "wimins studies" degree?

I told my daughter long ago I didn't care what she did as long as she loved it and did it well. She happens to be one of those scary smart kids, so she will be going to college, getting a 4 year degree (in 4 years) and probably continuing to go to school for an advanced degree (or 2). But that doesn't make her 'better' than my friend the machinist. It just makes her different in her skills.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom