Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So, 3 guys rent a hotel room. It costs $30 a night. Each guy gives the clerk $10, so 10 X 3= $30.

After they go to their room, the clerk discovers he overcharged the trio. It was supposed to be only $25 a night. As the clerk heads to the room with the $5 refund, he decides since $5 will not divide evenly between 3 people that he will keep $2 for himself, as a tip.

So essentially each guy paid $9 dollars for the room, right. Well 9X3= $27 + the
    $2 the clerk kept = $29.

Where's the other dollar?

I'm not sure what the math term is called but you are looking and trying to compare 2 different equations which are not starting at the same point/time/etc.

The correct end point is EP-C of $25
    In the first story the end point (EP-A) is $30. So that leaves you $1 x 5. @ of which the clerk keeps; 3 given to the guest.

In the 2nd scenario (ie. each paying $9) the EP-B would be $27.
    So the original $3 the guest got in EP-A are out of the story entriely since it's a different end point. Instead we only have $1 x 2 which is the $2 the clerk keeps.

You can't go from EP-A to EP-B and then try to got to EP-C.
    Unless you are congress or the Media or using governomics! :D

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I'm not sure what the math term is called but you are looking and trying to compare 2 different equations which are not starting at the same point/time/etc.

The correct end point is EP-C of $25
    In the first story the end point (EP-A) is $30. So that leaves you $1 x 5. @ of which the clerk keeps; 3 given to the guest.

In the 2nd scenario (ie. each paying $9) the EP-B would be $27.
    So the original $3 the guest got in EP-A are out of the story entriely since it's a different end point. Instead we only have $1 x 2 which is the $2 the clerk keeps.

You can't go from EP-A to EP-B and then try to got to EP-C.
    Unless you are congress or the Media or using governomics! :D

:D
    With that answer you should run for congress.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :D
    With that answer you should run for congress.

Hum.. wonder if they will let me wear this.
    pink-suit.png

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

BTW what is your answer?

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Basically your correct. You can't mix and match different types of math. You need to follow the order. Or sick with addition and subtraction and forget the $9 part.

That being said, and it being correct. I'm not happy with that answer. I haven't heard an answer that makes me happy. So in the world of mathamatics the riddle is solve. But in the world of Andy219, riddle unsolved and/or unsolvable.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    If you think about it if jediagh, darkkevin and Andy219 give melensdad $10 each for a $30 dollar cigar. (Why we would share a cigar, who knows, maybe its for a prize) then melensdad says oh I forgot to give you guys an INGO discount. $5 off. We tell him to keep $2 for himself and give each of US $1 back.

Jediagh, darkkevin and Andy219 have each paid $9... $10 minus $1, melensdad got a $2 tip, we started with $30 now we count $29.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    If you think about it if jediagh, darkkevin and Andy219 give melensdad $10 each for a $30 dollar cigar. (Why we would share a cigar, who knows, maybe its for a prize) then melensdad says oh I forgot to give you guys an INGO discount. $5 off. We tell him to keep $2 for himself and give each of US $1 back.

Jediagh, darkkevin and Andy219 have each paid $9... $10 minus $1, melensdad got a $2 tip, we started with $30 now we count $29.

that's so easy.............."THAT GUY" SHOWED UP AND SHOVED IT DOWN HIS PANTS!! :D:D:D

math is so easy

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    So, 3 guys rent a hotel room. It costs $30 a night. Each guy gives the clerk $10, so 10 X 3= $30.

After they go to their room, the clerk discovers he overcharged the trio. It was supposed to be only $25 a night. As the clerk heads to the room with the $5 refund, he decides since $5 will not divide evenly between 3 people that he will keep $2 for himself, as a tip.

So essentially each guy paid $9 dollars for the room, right. Well 9X3= $27 + the
    $2 the clerk kept = $29.

Where's the other dollar?

The problem here is you're giving false information in the riddle and trying to get a correct answer at the end.

Your'e trying to get what they paid to total $30. But the room wasn't 30 anymore. It was 25 now. and the clerk took 2. So yes, each guy paid 9 for that total of 27. (the 9 that you're crediting them each with paying INCLUDES the 2 that the bellhop took, it's not a separate sum, but then you take that $27 figure and add the $2 again for a false total)

If you want to get to the $30 that they originally paid, it's located here, $1 in each of their pocket for a total of $3, plus $2 in the bellhops pocket for a total of $5, plus the $25 for the room for the total of $30.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Hello from Boston. I'm unarmed and in a strange land.

We are here to visit Harvard, MIT, Brandies, Boston College, Radcliff and Tufts to see if the kid I have, who is too smart for her own good, wants to apply to any of these schools.

After we are done in Boston we'll be off to New York to visit Fordham University, great graduate school for Business, but not sure about undergraduate education, also they don't have a collegiate fencing team so that might be a problem for my daughter, she's hoping to continue to fence in college but its not a deal breaker if she falls in love with the school.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Well this example is totally false as a NORTH of US-30 would be crazy to share a cigar with you shady people SOUTH of US-30! :D

The problem here is you're giving false information in the riddle and trying to get a correct answer at the end.

Your'e trying to get what they paid to total $30. But the room wasn't 30 anymore. It was 25 now. and the clerk took 2. So yes, each guy paid 9 for that total of 27. (the 9 that you're crediting them each with paying INCLUDES the 2 that the bellhop took, it's not a separate sum, but then you take that $27 figure and add the $2 again for a false total)

If you want to get to the $30 that they originally paid, it's located here, $1 in each of their pocket for a total of $3, plus $2 in the bellhops pocket for a total of $5, plus the $25 for the room for the total of $30.

& your answer is ALSO wrong! Come on you live in LAKE COUNTY you should know better.

Andy219 and darkkevin do not get back $1. They have to actually pay $.50 in taxes for that $1 they get "back" as that is now considered income. melensdad for being the owner and a seller of a sinful product must pay his $.50 in tax + an additional $1 for the sinful tax + $1 more just cause we need it for the social programs and he is a biz owner.

So in reality they all owe about $5 in taxes for this transaction. & if they don't pay up we will send in the feds to take away their passaport and go JBT on them.

Now da is da LAKE COUNTY way! :rockwoot:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    These Toyota 5SFEs have a big sludge problem especially when owners don't or haven't changed their oil regularly.

The high mileage oil is supposed to swell up oil seals and if you stop using it it will **** oil everywhere.

My car isn't quite a beater yet because I can't afford to replace it just yet.

My oil change interval is 3k. That's out of choice. Toyota reccomended 12000 mile changes if the car is used normally but I call total BS on tht and that's why these 5SFEs are full of sludge. I am slowly eating away at my sludge proble. By using synth and reducing my OCI.

My engine is having some random misses lately but I also have two holes in the exhaust and god know what else. I have new plugs wires cap and rotor on tere as well as a new air filter so it should be good to go. One thin I won't do is seafoam even tho some people swear by it. Especially not going to put it in my crank case with all that sludge in there.

Btw I work at a major autoparts store. Both us and our competitors have oil change specials but of course at "the zone" we have the better customer service. And I'm not just saying that to be biased. I've walked into an AAP and walked out (and had time to browse for stuff) and never saw a CSR come from the back to assist me.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If the mobil 1 is cleaning out the sludge the oil filter should be catching it. Whatever you do avoid Fram oil filters at all cost. There have been a couple of internet writeups on their shortcomings. If you are concerned about the sludge change your filter, not the oil that has 70 percent or more of its useful life left. Purolator, Baldwin, STP, and my favorite Wix are all quality oil filters.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom