Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sorry to butt in out of my area. :)

We can make you an honorary member but you need to do the following:
    - attend one of the NWI MEET & SHOOTs
    - bring bacon as your tribute to da group
    - own, bring or use a high point gangster style (side ways) at least once at the shoot so we knowz u have skill to cap some1
    - if you own a PINK gun that gives you automatic "made man" status with the PINKfather. :laugh:

The IC states that ANY radio CAPABLE of picking up Police frequencies is against the law when mobile (without a HAM lic) regardless of whether it's programmed or not.

*Someone in the know, please correct me if I am wrong.

Makes me wonder does the IC consider a phone (ie. iphone, smartphone) a radio? If so then you are correct that any of those scanning aps on your mobile phone will put you in legal jeporady. As to how to fix it. Contact Bill of Rights. He knows how to get things to the right people in the legilsation to get things moving. He is your best bet becuase sending a letter to your rep is :laugh::laugh::laugh:. *cough* pointless *cough*

@Bill B
    Let me try and unconfuse you. :D

3 of the FCC licenses that you can get are the following:
    - Amateur radio license (3 levels avaliable right now) [FCC Part 90]
    - FRS license [FCC Part 95]
    - GMRS license [FCC Part 95]

Each of these license allows one to operate on different fequencies as shown here:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/2003-allochrt.pdf
    (All feq that FCC controls)
    and here are the feq for just the Amateur
    http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band Chart/Hambands_color - Feb 3 2012.pdf

You do NOT need a license to listen on any FCC fequency. It may be illegal to own the equipment in some areas (ie. Can't have a scanner in Indiana in your car without a license but OK in your home).

A license is required to transmit

As you can see from this chart:
    GMRS & FRS Frequency Table

The FRS/GMRS feq are not within the Amateur feq range. They are a little bit above it. GMRS like the Amateur freq require a license to transmit. FRS DO NOT require a license by you (the end user) but the maker of the radio needs to be Part 95 Certified for those radios.

From the googling I found this is the best answer that I got in terms of can a radio be used both on the Amateur and/or GMRS and/or FRS frequencies:
    The radio's can be front panel programmed and meet part 90/95, but it must be done in a "programming mode" then switched to user mode where the settings/frequency cant be changed on the fly, (ie no VFO ).

You can program Ham and GMRS into the same radio IF the radio is rated for the entire range (440 to 468mhz), few radios on UHF are, except some Bendix/king radios.
    SOURCE: GMRS Radios - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum

You can indeed program our little radios on the fly so to speak I thus why I am saying its not legal. :)

-Jedi

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Makes me wonder does the IC consider a phone (ie. iphone, smartphone) a radio? If so then you are correct that any of those scanning aps on your mobile phone will put you in legal jeporady. ....-Jedi

I wasn't looking at it from the viewpoint of making the Cell Phone apps illegal. I was looking at it from the viewpoint of since those apps allow someone to listen to police freqs anyway, why should someone with a scanner be prohibited?

Though, I wouldn't doubt a politician would take any letter pointing out that fact and decide to make having a scanner app on your phone illegal. Funny that you (north 'a 30 person) took it that way. :D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I wasn't looking at it from the viewpoint of making the Cell Phone apps illegal. I was looking at it from the viewpoint of since those apps allow someone to listen to police freqs anyway, why should someone with a scanner be prohibited?

Though, I wouldn't doubt a politician would take any letter pointing out that fact and decide to make having a scanner app on your phone illegal. Funny that you (north 'a 30 person) took it that way. :D

Hey we are all about taking away your freedom! I mean its for your own safety! You should not be driving and looking at your phone app to see why the popo is following you. What if you run the stop sign near a school intersection. Why don't you ever think of the children and their safety! WHY!!!!

I think (but am not sure) that as it stands right now the "scanning apps" on the mobile phone are ILLEGAL in IN per the way the IC is written and what they define a radio to be. Your smartphone may already be a "radio" per the definition of the IC. I'm not sure and I'm too lazy to look it up since

1) I don't use smartphones and NEVER will
    2) I already am covered via the "ham" license
    3) I'm trying to make all of you illegals don't you know. :D

-Jedi

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I hate you WD!!! Hate you!!!!
    IANAL

I looked at the IC and can't find ay text where the IC defines what a "radio" is. They do define a "police radio" in IC 35-44-3-12 but the term "radio" is not defined. So next I went to Legal Dictionary | Law.com to see if they have a definition of "radio" and again nothing. Which means the laymen's term for "radio" from Radio | Define Radio at Dictionary.com will be used in a court of law in Indiana.

That says...

wireless telegraphy or telephony: speeches broadcast by radio.
    2. an apparatus for receiving or transmitting radio broadcasts.

3. a message transmitted by radio.

Looks like a smartphone will fit the definition of #2 and thus a case can be made that your smartphone is a radio and you are indeed breaking the law.

I suspect that in Indiana the law has yet to catch up with technology.

-Jedi

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I suspect if your smartphone was ruled as such by a local prosecutor there would be a groundswell of public opinion that would lead to a JURY NULLIFICATION of the case.

Hum.. did you bump your head! JURY NULL... will never occur in Lake County, IN. Please!!! :D

Besides I'm all for having every SJ resident charged with everything under the sun. Then we can covert that entire land into one big DNR. :whistle:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Does anyone have a USB keyboard & are near Griffith right now?
    WD brought his sick PC over but I did not realize that he has only USB ports so all my keyboards won't work on his PC. :xmad:

Just need to borrow a USB keyboard so that we can get into the bios. If anyone is in the area we can pick it up "por please". Otherwise WD is going to have to take his PC home and bring it back some other day.

thanks!

PM thanks again!

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Alright my Northwest Indiana bretheren, I need help deciding. This is even for all of you north of 30. Sometime in the coming week(s), before the next shoot I will be purchasing the start of my new collection. As I ran into hard times and had to sell off my old collection. I need help choosing my first 3, possibly 4.

What I buy will be accompanying me to the meet and shoot. If you have the time to click on this link https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/199602-what_should_i_buy_help_me_decide_ingo.html and help me choose I would appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Does anyone know who made our NWI INGO logo?
    socialgroupicon_12_1310838776.gif

A member was asking about it and I can't recall who made it. Also the idea of a possible T-Shirt group buy was tossed around. So let me make a poll over here to see if we even have a large enough group to think about this.

NOTE "INGO BRASS" HAS NOT GIVEN APPROVAL OF THIS (ie. MAKING THE T-SHIRTS) BUT I'M WORKING ON A FEELER FIRST.

Poll is here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...6-feeler_group_buy_for_nwi_ingo_t_shirts.html

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    No problem, hope everything is ok. I just got to the lounge and brought a 50 piece munchkins from dunkin donuts. If anyone's available ill be her for a hour or two.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom