Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    :fail:
    FAIL AGAIN!!!!

Once you load it into the software if you click on the little print icon it will print out the cheat sheet & at the far right you will see the alpha tag for each one: HAM1 (Hammond 1), SJ, CP, etc...

#1) Is simplex for direct radio to radio contact
    #2 - #40) Are the area repeaters in NWI (not all slots used)
    #60s is NOAA
    #80s is local train comms
    #86-99 is LEOs in the area.
    !!!DO NOT TALK ON THOSE STATIONS!!!
    FAIL!
    No GMRS?!?! And I'm supposed to kiss a ring?:dunno:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    ¡¡¡IM NOT TALKING ON ANY STATION!!!

That is because you are a loser that has not taken the test yet. BTW I found these people that do the test in crown point the 2nd Friday of every month. Home You have to email them to let them know you are going. Cost if $14 vs the $15 at valpo.

I suck again!
    Alpha tags are all blank. I tried it three ways, all blank.

When you open the program & load the file in the far right table under the column that says NAME do you not see the ALPHA TAGS? They will not show up on the radio. The firmware we have does not support ALPHA tags (yet).

Actually I know why you are not seeing them.I'm the loser now! I forgot to tell you that you have to change the .ini file. :D

Go to C:\Program Files\UV-X4
    Look for the settings.ini file
    Open it in NOTEPAD

It will look like this
    [setup]
    com=3
    searchcom=1
    name=1
    language=English

Make sure name = 1 and then save it and now when you run the software you should see the ALPHA tags.

FAIL!
    No GMRS?!?! And I'm supposed to kiss a ring?:dunno:

Illegal to do so but from what I have read on the Yahoo Group possible. It's also possible to extend the freq range that the radio can get as well. But again illegal in our country with the license we have.

Huge thanks bud. Really appreciate it.

Welcome Uncle to the group. Make sure DaveGrave takes you on the 24th to our first MEET & SHOOT for 2012.

These links you might find of use to you since you are in "Da Region"!

NWI INGO MEMBERS

Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:

INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

This will allow me to send you PMs (private messages) when new events are coming to our area.

General NWI Status Update Thread (Subscribe to it):

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post.html

We use this thread post for quick communication among the NWI group on gun/ammo sales in the area, special events occuring, and a general FYI. The thread is very long now & most of the post are irrelavent at this point for you but if you subscribe you will get the newest post made to it.

--CURRENT EVENTS IN NWI--

INGunOwners - 2012 NWI Events
    (Save this link as it is always being updated)

---OTHER USEFUL INFO--
    List of ranges in NWI
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-36.html#post2373396

List of gun shops in NWI
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-45.html#post2475809

List of training sites in NWI
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-46.html#post2478662

Pro-Gun & Anti-Gun Stores in NWI:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...un_and_anti-gun_stores_northwest_indiana.html

A Guide to Protecting Your Rights: What to do when LEO stop you and your are carrying.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...what_to_do_when_leo_stops_you.html#post915009

Wallet IN LTCH Info with IC Codes
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../83645-wallet_in_ltch_info_with_ic_codes.html

FFLs in Indiana
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/81265-indiana_gun_shop_info_-_combined.html

-Jedi

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    That is because you are a loser that has not taken the test yet. BTW I found these people that do the test in crown point the 2nd Friday of every month. Home You have to email them to let them know you are going. Cost if $14 vs the $15 at valpo.

When you open the program & load the file in the far right table under the column that says NAME do you not see the ALPHA TAGS? They will not show up on the radio. The firmware we have does not support ALPHA tags (yet).

Actually I know why you are not seeing them.I'm the loser now! I forgot to tell you that you have to change the .ini file. :D

Go to C:\Program Files\UV-X4
    Look for the settings.ini file
    Open it in NOTEPAD

It will look like this
    [setup]
    com=3
    searchcom=1
    name=1
    language=English

Make sure name = 1 and then save it and now when you run the software you should see the ALPHA tags.

Illegal to do so but from what I have read on the Yahoo Group possible. It's also possible to extend the freq range that the radio can get as well. But again illegal in our country with the license we have.

Why do I find myself reading this HAM radio stuff when I didn't even stay for the class??? I can easily scroll right past it, but I sit here reading it like it makes sense to me, then I go what the heck are they talking about??? Guess I might as well read up on it some. :dunno: Sounds interesting, even if I might not ever get into it.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I like having the ability to be driving around and pick up the radio and have someone there to talk to.. not in a sad "I'm lonely" kinda way but its nice to be able to pass the time by talking to someone else.

Before cellphones were big ham radio ops used to call in emergencies using phone patch hardware.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Why do I find myself reading this HAM radio stuff when I didn't even stay for the class??? I can easily scroll right past it, but I sit here reading it like it makes sense to me, then I go what the heck are they talking about??? Guess I might as well read up on it some. :dunno: Sounds interesting, even if I might not ever get into it.

Cause deep down you know you want to come to the dark side. :D

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Why would FRS/GMRS be illegal? I know FRS is limited to a lower power, but isn't GMRS limited to 2 watts? which is what these puppies put out?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Why would FRS/GMRS be illegal? I know FRS is limited to a lower power, but isn't GMRS limited to 2 watts? which is what these puppies put out?

My understanding and I'm a bit uneducated on this right now is that the radios we got are FCC Part 90 certified. So that means they are allowed to operated on the "amatuer bands" only. Now the radio is capable of operating on other frequencies (FRS/GMRS/non amatuer bands) with a few modications but that would make them non FCC Part 90 certified and illegal in the USA. On the yahoo group there is a mod (software wise) to increase the freq range of the radio and it is OK do to in other countries but not in the USA.

So while this radio has the capability per FCC and the amature license you are not suppose to do it.

Clear as mud now?

-Jedi

--edit--
    The FCC has a different cetification # for FMS/GMRS radios BTW.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I think the reason I am not "getting it" is because I simply don't care. Its not that my property is so isolated or remote, but if the SHTF then I figure that I'm on my own out here and its going to be me and my neighbors against the world.

Even if you never use the radio to talk. 99% of the emcomm traffic will be on VHF. Being able to monitor that is very useful.

Sorry to butt in out of my area. :)

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    But the FRS/GMRS freqs are in the amatuer bands, for example FRS channel 1 is 462.562 and GMRS channel 22 is 462.725. So although they are not FRS/GMRS radios, a licensed amatuer can operate on these freqs right? I am totally confused...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Even if you never use the radio to talk. 99% of the emcomm traffic will be on VHF. Being able to monitor that is very useful.

But you can simply buy a scanner and listen to anything. For that matter you can buy and own a radio, and you can program it and listen to the bands without license AS LONG AS YOU DON'T TRANSMIT.

You need the license to transmit. Listening is legal.

Some people just like to watch ;)

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    But you can simply buy a scanner and listen to anything. For that matter you can buy and own a radio, and you can program it and listen to the bands without license AS LONG AS YOU DON'T TRANSMIT.

Yup, but no license is needed during an emergency. I like being able to reach out to my buds 20 miles simplex, on my own back up power w/o having to rely on any external system.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    But the FRS/GMRS freqs are in the amatuer bands, for example FRS channel 1 is 462.562 and GMRS channel 22 is 462.725. So although they are not FRS/GMRS radios, a licensed amatuer can operate on these freqs right? I am totally confused...

Strictly speaking those radios aren't legal to operate on FRS/GMRS.

What happens in and around your own property is your own business IMHO.

Edit: To Bob. The thing about having the licence is more to get the SKILLS you need to operate the radio effectively. In a SHTF scenario you don't need a licence obviously, but if all you know how to do is turn it on and talk, you may be screwed unless everyone is on the same random channel.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0

Not if you're mobile it isn't. In Indiana you must have a license to have a mobile scanner. I don't recall the IC, but it has been discussed in these parts before...

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Not if you're mobile it isn't. In Indiana you must have a license to have a mobile scanner. I don't recall the IC, but it has been discussed in these parts before...

^^^ I didn't know this until it was pointed out to me. We discussed this a while back. I'm hoping someone will be willing to join me in getting this changed. It's going to start with finding out what, if any, efforts are already underway to get this changed. I imagine that I will have to go trolling the scanner forums. It's a ridiculously silly law especially since criminals already don't follow the law. Also, with today's technology, you only need an app on your phone to pick up scanner transmissions. It would be nice to remove the legal jeopardy for those of us that want to go mobile with a scanner.

If nothing is underway already, I'll have to start with contacting a state rep. Anyone want to join me in writing some letters?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    True. You cannot listen police scanners in your car without a license. But you can listen to the other stuff in your car. And you can listen to anything while on your property.

The IC states that ANY radio CAPABLE of picking up Police frequencies is against the law when mobile (without a HAM lic) regardless of whether it's programmed or not.

*Someone in the know, please correct me if I am wrong.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom