• Status
    Not open for further replies.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    I'm on a really crappy budget right now or I probably would invest (!) in a really great holster... but you're right the belt is kinda letting me down too.

I'm happy OCing for the most part and lazy CC with my Smith... I need something smaller for true CC probably in an ankle holster.

Appreciate the input. For reals, yo.
    D.

IWB CC will be near impossible with BUFF. You'd have to get not only a good belt, but pants one to two sizes bigger. When I get home I will post/pm a link to the belt darkkevin & myself have. $50 shipped (maybe more for bigger sizes, I don't know) but worth it. Plus, it's a little dressier, for those "fancy" occasions. Before I got my s&w, I would take his belt, holster & gun when I went grocery shopping. It was perfectly comfy for me, even with it being broke in to his body. I am definitely one of the lucky ones in that my first holster works extrememly well for me. :) I'll do some digging on holsters for BUFF, I feel a bit bad I couldn't provide a better one with her.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @NaplamFTW

I finally made contact with someone on the 147.00 repeater!!!!
    An NRA instructor by the callsign of W9UM.

It was great finally being able to talk to someone. I invited him to Winamac for our MEET & SHOOT and he might come. He told me about the http://www.qsl.net/w9lj/

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot: He did mention that I was hard to hear at time but understood why once I told him the little radio I was on.

Also he told me that the 400 freq repeaters are offset by .5 not .6 like I had them & thus why I was not hitting the repeaters in the area. :D

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    GEEK TALK ON:
    @NaplamFTW

I finally made contact with someone on the 147.00 repeater!!!!
    An NRA instructor by the callsign of W9UM.

It was great finally being able to talk to someone. I invited him to Winamac for our MEET & SHOOT and he might come. He told me about the Lake County Amateur Radio Assocation (LCARA).

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot: He did mention that I was hard to hear at time but understood why once I told him the little radio I was on.

Also he told me that the 400 freq repeaters are offset by .5 not .6 like I had them & thus why I was not hitting the repeaters in the area. :D

GEEK TALK /OFF

And now we return to your regular programming . . .

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    If you can't get to 1000 I will double my order.

We're easily past 1000, so don't double just for me. But it feel free to if you decide you'd like to.

I bought a ton right when I bought my first handgun after 2 trips to the range and paying .50-1.00 a piece. This will be the first time I've had to buy any in maybe 8 years. It's nice, especially when it's for not much more cost than photocopying 8.5x11's at kinkos.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    We're easily past 1000, so don't double just for me. But it feel free to if you decide you'd like to.

I bought a ton right when I bought my first handgun after 2 trips to the range and paying .50-1.00 a piece. This will be the first time I've had to buy any in maybe 8 years. It's nice, especially when it's for not much more cost than photocopying 8.5x11's at kinkos.

Ok keep my order the same.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm glad it's bugging someone else. :D

hgh.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm glad it's bugging someone else. :D

I'm curious about the whole concept but I can't figure out WHY or HOW it would be useful for me. Honestly it seems interesting, but I have no real desire to call out on the open airwaves and talk to strangers . . . but then that is not much different than the interwebs! I also don't see the need for using a ham radio for a MSG type scenario. Just can't wrap my head around it. That said, it might just be a waste of time and money.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Wouldn't miss it for the world. :rockwoot:
    Then you will be happy with the targets as I think it was you that request these pics. ;)

I'm curious about the whole concept but I can't figure out WHY or HOW it would be useful for me. Honestly it seems interesting, but I have no real desire to call out on the open airwaves and talk to strangers . . . but then that is not much different than the interwebs! I also don't see the need for using a ham radio for a MSG type scenario. Just can't wrap my head around it. That said, it might just be a waste of time and money.

:faint: Here we go again. ;)
    Depends on the type of "SHTF event" we are having. If we lose all power all our modern tech (cellphones, internet, skype) is screwed since even if we can power our own house the cell tower will be out, Comcast won't work so no internet either) so you are left with land line phones and radios.

The commercial walkies have limited range and everyone can get on those frequencies. These walkies have a bit more range and less people on these freq.

What I did notice in my 15 min talk today was that my battery on this radio (UV-3R) went down fast from what I could see. Typically fully charged the battery is at 4.6. It was at 4v when the conversation ended. So that .6 volts every 15 mins. The less voltage the less power and thus the shorter your range gets.

But then again these radios that we got were just that a good starter unit to introduce us to the world of HAM and if we like it then some will move on to better radios.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    :faint: Here we go again. ;)
    Depends on the type of "SHTF event" we are having. If we lose all power all our modern tech (cellphones, internet, skype) is screwed since even if we can power our own house the cell tower will be out, Comcast won't work so no internet either) so you are left with land line phones and radios...
    And if we have one of those "SHTF events" then the last person on the planet I want to hear from is Jedi :laugh:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I know having a primary CC gun in an ankle holster isn't ideal, but it is my only option if I want to carry 24/7. I am not comfortable being unarmed for 8 hours a day.

Well, I could CC something real small IWB but due to what I have to wear it probably won't work too well and it may easily print. A pocket gun is another option.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I know having a primary CC gun in an ankle holster isn't ideal, but it is my only option if I want to carry 24/7. I am not comfortable being unarmed for 8 hours a day.

Well, I could CC something real small IWB but due to what I have to wear it probably won't work too well and it may easily print. A pocket gun is another option.

When I can't/don't wear a real gun, I opt for a 380 pocket pistol. I'd rather have a 380 in my pocket than a 38 snubbie on my ankle.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I'm curious about the whole concept but I can't figure out WHY or HOW it would be useful for me. Honestly it seems interesting, but I have no real desire to call out on the open airwaves and talk to strangers . . .

There is a section in World War Z where radio outposts are used to communicate with pilots delivering supplies from safe zone to safe zone. Some of the radio operators had been installed by the re-developing government, but some of them were simply HAM radio operators who had hunkered down and survived the zombie crisis on their own. The HAM radio operators were very important in maintaining communication in the new world.

Honestly, melensdad (feel weird typing that), why aren't you getting this?

I'll be in tomorrow morning for a smoke--too much work around here today.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom