Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just a friendly reminder to anyone traveling through Michigan, dont forget to inform the Officer you are carrying...

Fortunately for me, I had a very polite officer who was very respectful and professional. He just reminded me that I should have informed him immedietly, and asked a few questions about the Indiana LTCH. No guns pointed, no yelling, no threats. He looked at my LTCH and handed it back and we carried on with the stop. When the driver gets a copy of the ticket that he can read the officer's name, I do plan on writing a small letter to Michigan State Police.

:rolleyes: u people :rolleyes:

You need to tell us how he tossed you on the ground, pointed the gun at your head,while his black boot was on your back, and yelled at you.

what kind of story is the cr**** above! Come on we don't want to listen to that. :D

BTW how FFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTT were you going?
    :)

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Spedo said 65, officer said 70. Got to look into some laws regarding commercial vehicles and elected weight and whatnot to figure out if we were speeding or not. confusing stuff. My buddy ended up getting 70 in a 60, didnt have a logbook with him, and our trailer got put out of service. Interesting pictures of a 30 foot trailer riding on a 20 foot rollback. According to the officer it was legal so I dunno

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    so..... when can you help us out englishman?
    btw I'm
    KC9VJV

Well for right now you have a cool callsign... you already nearly have VJJ... :p

Ok... try this in the frequency/channel set up...

Output (receive)
    147.000 (or whatever the output is)
    Input (or transmit)
    147.600 (the repeater is "147.000+" so you add .600MHz (or 600kHz) to the output to get the input frequency. Input is the frequency you TALK on to the repeater. The output is what you listen on.

Now, there should be a field in the programming software for "CTCSS" or possibly "PL" or "private line" "sub audible tone".

I don't have the software in front of me so you will have to use your initiative.

For da region you need 131.8Hz. Not D131 or anything, but make sure its 131.8Hz CTCSS.

You should IN THEORY be able to hold the PUSH TO TALK (PTT) button for a second or so, release and hear the "beep".

Failing that, set another channel up with the same info but with the CTCSS tone as 173.8Hz. This is for the Munster receiver for that Merrillville repeater.

The transmit site for the Merrillville machine (repeaters are also called machines or boxes...) is the water tower at the Mall. You SHOULD be able to hit that from your house Jedi... I can get that almost all over Lake Co.

Put 146.520 in there too (output/receive input/transmit frequencies need to be the same). That's the national "simplex" or "calling" channel. Like Ch.19 in the old CB days. You can put a call out on there if you're local "KC9UZB this is KC9VJV" for example and if I'm listening and in range I'll hear you. This sometimes works if you see someone with a ham radio antenna on their car or a ham radio plate on the car. Give a call out on 146.520.

Feel free to hit me up on the email list or text me if you want someone to listen to 147. I can't right now but I am free tomorrow.

Sorry to bore you lot.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well lets' bore DaveGrave some more & then we can move it to the MSG group. (NOT!)
    The software that came with the radios is v1.08. However v1.1 can be obtained here:
    Brick O'Lore: Baofeng UV-3R: Mark II Software

I was using this table of repeaters to try and set them up:
    Repeater Directory Listing

The table in the software shows this:
    RX Freq(Mhz)
    CTC/DSC DEC
    TX Freq(Mhz)
    CTC/DCS ENC
    W/N
    TX Power

So for the this repeater from the list:
    Hammond NW 147.195 + W9FXT IARA 131.8 O CA E L TT 09/07/09

I did the following:
    Rx Freq (Mhz) = 147.195
    CTC/DSC DEC = 131.8
    TX Freq(Mhz) = 147.200
    CTC/DCS ENC = 131.8
    W/N = Wide
    TX Power = High

When I load that into the radio I do see the "+" symbol showing that my input is + but not sure should I be on the 147.2 freq and hit the PPT. I do and I hear nothing? :dunno:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Ok... The TX frequency needs to be 0.6MHz ABOVE your RX frequency.

So 147.195 PLUS 0.6

So 147.795 is what needs to be in the TX box. When you hit the button the radio should show "147.795".

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Ok... The TX frequency needs to be 0.6MHz ABOVE your RX frequency.

So 147.195 PLUS 0.6

So 147.795 is what needs to be in the TX box. When you hit the button the radio should show "147.795".

OK 1 step closer I guess. :D
    Yes when I am on 147.195 and hit the PPT it then shows 147.795.
    A few seconds ago when I got to 147.195 I heard some machine say.
    "11:54PM. Good evening"
    Nothing after that. I held the PPT down and say KC9VJV listening and did hear a "Ping" so I think I am hitting that repeater now. :rockwoot:

It sure is lonely out there! :(
    Almost makes me depressed like that movie with Will Smith "I am legend".

Now looking at this:
    Lake County, Indiana (IN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I found the feq for the griffith PD but but when I go to it.
    154.085 I don't hear anything?
    :dunno:

Tried the ones for Highland as well and nothing.
    Too afraid to tx on that one was I think we can NOT but have not heard a beep out of it.

Going to try the 147 machine in a bit to see if I can ping it and then I'm calling it a night.

Too lonely.

---update---
    I was able to ping off the 147 repeater!!!!!
    On my first transmitting I said "KC9vjv listening" and it said " On W9LJ repeater".
    But when I re-trans I only got a ping sound but not voice from the box. :dunno:

Also notice that when I send the LED goes RED and when I am getting something the LED goes green

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    PDs are often quiet at night... try

155.565 for Sville PD
    155.310 should be highland

yep very lonely in ham land these days..one of the reasons to get more ingo'ers.

anyone going to the show tomorrow...? i really need a IWB holster or something more concealable. I dont have a coat/jacket long enough to hide my OWB holster for my smith.

not that I worry too much about oc'ing right now.

ps: sounds like you're getting into the repeater alright. I'll charge the handheld up and try and get on that one or merrillville tomorrow.. im going to lake station/portage/valpo possibly tomorrow so we'll see.

Cabelas has Fed 9mm on sale for 9.99 a box ONLINE ONLY with free ship to store though.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    If you are in Lake Station at 1pm, there is going to be a salsa cook off today at a place called LF Nortons. Its a little bar here in town that has a reputation for good food( they have an awesome pulled pork)

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Try listening to the railroads
    Railroad Radio Frequencies

I know that channels 23, 25, and 52 are used locally as are others.

Well lets' bore DaveGrave some more & then we can move it to the MSG group. (NOT!)
    The software that came with the radios is v1.08. However v1.1 can be obtained here:
    Brick O'Lore: Baofeng UV-3R: Mark II Software

I was using this table of repeaters to try and set them up:
    Repeater Directory Listing

The table in the software shows this:
    RX Freq(Mhz)
    CTC/DSC DEC
    TX Freq(Mhz)
    CTC/DCS ENC
    W/N
    TX Power

So for the this repeater from the list:
    Hammond NW 147.195 + W9FXT IARA 131.8 O CA E L TT 09/07/09

I did the following:
    Rx Freq (Mhz) = 147.195
    CTC/DSC DEC = 131.8
    TX Freq(Mhz) = 147.200
    CTC/DCS ENC = 131.8
    W/N = Wide
    TX Power = High

When I load that into the radio I do see the "+" symbol showing that my input is + but not sure should I be on the 147.2 freq and hit the PPT. I do and I hear nothing? :dunno:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    If you are in Lake Station at 1pm, there is going to be a salsa cook off today at a place called LF Nortons. Its a little bar here in town that has a reputation for good food( they have an awesome pulled pork)

Hi Cliff

Yeah should be there around then.

BTW... what/where are the "S curves" in LS? My boss the other day said theres some really good authentic mexican food.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Try listening to the railroads...
    Why?

Maybe I am missing something about the whole HAM radio thing, but why do I want to listen to a train? And while it might be interesting to listen to the police if there is something going on in town, I just don't see the point of the hobby.

What I get out of it is that Jediagh is lonely and bored and nobody will talk to him :dunno:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Why?

Maybe I am missing something about the whole HAM radio thing, but why do I want to listen to a train? And while it might be interesting to listen to the police if there is something going on in town, I just don't see the point of the hobby.

What I get out of it is that Jediagh is lonely and bored and nobody will talk to him :dunno:

The RRs are interesting to listen to. You hear what trains are where and if there are any problems.

I think you're either a radio geek or you're not - some people get enjoyment out of listening to their ham radios/scanners, other people just like to talk on the radio and use it like CB. Some people like to get really technical and mess around with building stuff from scratch or deal with really advanced digital modes etc. etc.

Personally I think I missed my calling in life, I should've been in military intelligence. I love listening to a particular channel and working out every last bit of information I can get on it. SIGINT/COMINT. etc.

But yeah Jedi and me are very lonely... *plays the worlds smallest violin*

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Off to the gun show in a few mins..anything I need to be aware of? I guess I get a nice cable tie through the action of my pistol?

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Bring it in unloaded, or your ammo goes in the "jackass jar". (I always figured that was common sense...but as we all know, common sense isn't very common.) Personally, I got a kick out of that yesterday. I've never seen one at CP.
    There's a guy with some pretty nice belts there too. Under the flag, belt brand is Bull Belt. I picked one up yesterday.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

But yeah Jedi and me are very lonely... *plays the worlds smallest violin*

Not lonely per say. Heck I can get on TeamSpeak (PC application to do voice over IP) and can talk to 1000+ members of my gaming clan from all over the world 24/7. There is always at least 50+ people on TS. So I'm not doing it cause I need to talk to someone.

Actually for me I just wanted the ability to listen in on the PD, EMTs, Fire and get the NOAA weather info. Just reminds me. What freq are they on.

@Bill B
    Thanks for that info. I'll have to see if I can hear them from here.

For me I just wanted to learn about the stuff enough to be able to use it in case I ever have to. Once I have the basic's down it's on to the next "learn topic".

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Why?

I nominate Melensdad for curmudgeon of the week.

Look at it this way, it would be like someone saying to you .... "Why Detonics? I don't get it." You give them all your reasons and they still say, "Yeah, so?" One man's hobby/preference is another man's waste of time/indifference. I say, leave 'em be ... at the very least, it will keep Jediagh occupied and off the forum (incessantly bashing St. John). :D

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    WD you forgot to put a pic up there.
    Curmudgeon_Logo.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.