• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ah ok... I just dont remember, but I sware if you made a left onto steger by the shell and made the first right it takes you backroads to BT

I'm pretty sure you are right.

But that will take me to the west side of the school. The parking lot I need to enter is the N.E. lot and go in the N.E. Cafeteria door. Coming in on Sauk Trail I have access to that parking lot and that door. And there is no reason to avoid Sauk Trail to the WEST of 394, its nothing but a 4 lane semi-rural road. On the other hand, Sauk Trail to the EAST of 394 takes you right into the heart of Sauk Village, a bizarre little town with high crime and strange people.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I made it. Thanks for the directions. They were pretty much spot on. I stayed on Joe Orr (giggedy) until SR1 then headed south to pick up US30.

Avoided Ford Heights completely.

Sadly the orientation got cancelled because of the weather...uh... I made it fine in my PoS Toyota... so.. whatever. Means work is put back another week since I can't start until I've done some BS orientation. Welcome to corporate America, eh?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I made it. Thanks for the directions. They were pretty much spot on. I stayed on Joe Orr (giggedy) until SR1 then headed south to pick up US30.

Avoided Ford Heights completely....

The reason I did NOT list "1" as one of the choices of roads to take back south to US30 is that it backtracks to the southeast and your ultimate destination was toward the west. The other streets I listed run true North/South while "1/Dixie Hwy" runs from the Northwest to the Southeast between Joe Orr and US30.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    The reason I did NOT list "1" as one of the choices of roads to take back south to US30 is that it backtracks to the southeast and your ultimate destination was toward the west. The other streets I listed run true North/South while "1/Dixie Hwy" runs from the Northwest to the Southeast between Joe Orr and US30.

Yeah that was my bad. I was watching my GPS and should've stuck with my gut instinct. It's all good though. Appreciate the advice.

I'm really not as afraid of this area/"da region" as I make out but sometimes its good to listen to people who have lived here for longer than me LOL.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm really not as afraid of this area/"da region" as I make out but sometimes its good to listen to people who have lived here for longer than me LOL.

I'm not afraid either.

But there are some very localized "hot spots" where problems seem to happen frequently. Some areas of Gary, some small areas of Chicago, and places like Ford Heights are good places to simply drive AROUND rather than to drive THROUGH if the option easily exists.

That said, I do occasionally drive through Ford Heights, but typically when I'm not thinking!

Other places, like Sauk Village, not bad to go through if you simply are transiting the town on Sauk Trail between 394 and the IN/IL state line. If I am going to On Target Archery in Steger from Schererville then the only realistic way to go is through Sauk Village. But I'd prefer not to go through that town at 11pm on a Saturday night when the temperatures outside are in the mid-70's or warmer because there are people hanging out (and some of them are looking for no-good).

My general rule is that its better to play it safe. If you can go around, do it.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I'm not afraid either.

That's good :D Like the old lady who has 20 some odd guns in her car: "what are you afraid of Ma'am?"

"Not a God damned thing"

My general rule is that its better to play it safe. If you can go around, do it.

There are ghettos in the UK too. You get to know the areas not to go down on foot. In a vehicle you're a little safer but even so some areas the bad guys have handguns (how, they're all banned???) and its best to avoid them.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have not been able to see across the street in two hours it is coming down that hard.

Well that must have been only at your place. Here we got just a sprinkle of some. :(

You can bring it to my dads. Same snow as you, but he wants me to shovel as "payment" for staying here tonight. I shoveled enough this year!

South of US-30? That would require a fee and double taxes. Besides your pops has a young, strong girl that needs to go shovel that snow! :D

Hobart police just told all Police cars to get off the streets and park it till further notice.

**sissies**
    **sigh**

---
    Well I made it to Valpo this morning. US-30 was OK. Just 2 cars in the ditch from last night all covered in. The roads were clear and just a sprinkle of snow.

Downtown valpo was semi-plowed but no real big snow drifts or anything like that. Once again the weather people get it wrong. LOSERS!!!!

I passed the Tech Level HAM Radio exam! :rockwoot: & I took the next level (General) but since I had not studied fro it failed that one. Miss the cut-off by 3 questions. :( Oh well. The next exam is in April BTW.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    CONGRATS JEDI.

:)

Should be about two weeks to get the licence in the mail.

I wouldn't worry about not passing the General just now. Tech gives you the ability to talk on the radios we're buying.

You've probably already done the research but now you've passed the test the real trick is knowing HOW to operate.

Simple things like:
    Giving the other person's callsign first
    KC9JDI this is KC9UZB, over.

etc.

Then how to use repeaters:
    Key up (transmit) to make sure you're getting in to the repeater ok, then transmit your callsign:
    "This is KC9JDI, KC9JDI listening through W9EMA repeater" wait for the "beep" and listen for replies.

etc. etc.

But again - congrats. Let me know privately what your callsign is when you get it through. Keep checking the FCC ULS and/or QRZ.com for your last name coming up in the search.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    CONGRATS JEDI.

:)

Should be about two weeks to get the licence in the mail.

I wouldn't worry about not passing the General just now. Tech gives you the ability to talk on the radios we're buying.

You've probably already done the research but now you've passed the test the real trick is knowing HOW to operate.

Simple things like:
    Giving the other person's callsign first
    KC9JDI this is KC9UZB, over.

etc.

Then how to use repeaters:
    Key up (transmit) to make sure you're getting in to the repeater ok, then transmit your callsign:
    "This is KC9JDI, KC9JDI listening through W9EMA repeater" wait for the "beep" and listen for replies.

etc. etc.

But again - congrats. Let me know privately what your callsign is when you get it through. Keep checking the FCC ULS and/or QRZ.com for your last name coming up in the search.

Thanks the tester said it should show up on the FCC database by WED/THRS. Once it does I plan on paying the $15 for a vanity callsign.
    The one I want is available so keeping my fingers crossed I can get it.

Then we can talk about Bill B's health issues, LoneHoosier's secret fascination for GREEN, t_star's ugly gun, all the LOSERs of St. John, etc...

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Yeah I thought about a vanity call but I am too dumb to work out how to apply for it.. Plus I'm cheap.

I like my "Ultimate Zombie Basher/Blaster" though.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    South of US-30? That would require a fee and double taxes. Besides your pops has a young, strong girl that needs to go shovel that snow! :D

Dad lives in Highland, practically down the street from you actually! Luckily there's not enough to worry about shoveling! :D

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks the tester said it should show up on the FCC database by WED/THRS. Once it does I plan on paying the $15 for a vanity callsign.
    The one I want is available so keeping my fingers crossed I can get it.

Then we can talk about Bill B's health issues, LoneHoosier's secret fascination for GREEN, t_star's ugly gun, all the LOSERs of St. John, etc...

We mite not be able to talk but we can listen to you. I am puzzled about this green thing. Do tell.

Piobair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    NWI
    I passed the Tech Level HAM Radio exam! :rockwoot: & I took the next level (General) but since I had not studied fro it failed that one. Miss the cut-off by 3 questions. :( Oh well. The next exam is in April BTW.

Congratulations and 73's (best regards) on getting your ham ticket. You'll have VHF and UHF privileges, so you're fine for local communications.

If you would, PM me also when you get your call sign. I'm usually monitoring the Michigan City and LaPorte 2-meter repeaters.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Wife is really not happy with me but I am now the proud owner of t_star's S&W.

T_star and her hubby Kev are definitely Good People(tm). ;) :p

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI

Wife is really not happy with me but I am now the proud owner of t_star's S&W.

T_star and her hubby Kev are definitely Good People(tm). ;) :p

Jedi, you can't talk crap about my ugly gun on the radio, you'll have to talk to the owner himself! :thumbsup:

And she's not ugly, just big-boned! I'm gonna miss her a bit, but this means I'll have to come to the meet & shoots for sure now!

Napalm, hopefully, with time, your wife will come around and see the light. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom