• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I would definitely be up for the communications (Ham) stuff and maybe even pressure canning.

I have access to private land in Michigan and was thinking about a weekend outing. There are no amenities whatsoever and we could practice survival skills (shelter building, fire-making, water purification, etc.) without any interference (as long as the fires were small) and setting up a temporary handgun or rifle range would be a snap. I have no date in mind but the group would have to be fairly small.

Love it!!
    Do you think this is some place we could use occasionally, maybe like a few times a year? I'd be down.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    That would be GREAT if you could offer that up Bill. If you would need help clearing an area out, or setting up a backstop I would be willing to lend some manual labor. Probably have some Scout survival knowledge in my head, and maybe some books too.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I would definitely be up for the communications (Ham) stuff and maybe even pressure canning.

I have access to private land in Michigan and was thinking about a weekend outing. There are no amenities whatsoever and we could practice survival skills (shelter building, fire-making, water purification, etc.) without any interference (as long as the fires were small) and setting up a temporary handgun or rifle range would be a snap. I have no date in mind but the group would have to be fairly small.

I can give a talk/demonstration on the ham side of things, well.. I don't have any HF stuff but a few V/UHF things to play with.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Hey Bob/melensdad. Pretty sure I saw you in Aldi today. I won't say where but it was around 1600/4pm.

I was in the checkout line ahead of you.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Done and done my fellow north of 30 brother. :D

I forget where you are exactly but like I said on there, we're not a million miles away.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN

Love it!!
    Do you think this is some place we could use occasionally, maybe like a few times a year? I'd be down.

That would be GREAT if you could offer that up Bill. If you would need help clearing an area out, or setting up a backstop I would be willing to lend some manual labor. Probably have some Scout survival knowledge in my head, and maybe some books too.

So? No one but me is suspicious that Bill is just planning this to set up trail cams to record us going poop in the woods? Because I'm 99% sure that's what's going on. :dunno:
    I'd still be down to go camping though. :D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Done and done my fellow north of 30 brother. :D

I forget where you are exactly but like I said on there, we're not a million miles away.

Thanks this weekend is already packed but me thinks the 1st or 2nd weekend in FEB I can visit you. Need to re-arrange some stuff since you know I can die going SOUTH of US-30. :D

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    So? No one but me is suspicious that Bill is just planning this to set up trail cams to record us going poop in the woods? Because I'm 99% sure that's what's going on. :dunno:
    I'd still be down to go camping though. :D

If you're pooping near my trail cams you're scaring away my deer and I'll kick your....

Thanks this weekend is already packed but me thinks the 1st or 2nd weekend in FEB I can visit you. Need to re-arrange some stuff since you know I can die going SOUTH of US-30. :D
    Can a brother from even further north get in on this action?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If you're pooping near my trail cams you're scaring away my deer and I'll kick your....

Can a brother from even further north get in on this action?

No the last time we let you go SOUTH of US-30 it went bad. :laugh:

Actually I'm thinking a small NWI "ham" intro/demo class can work provided the non-yank is willing to have us?

I got the ham book for the library today and the next test is in valpo on 11 FEB. There is also a tester based out of Highland but he does not have his test dates up only an email and phone #. That might be even closer to take the test as well.

Highland POC:
    http://www.w5yi.org/exam_locations_ama.php?vec_state=IN

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell

Yeah I was down south way south today... I thought I was going to die... from the crosswinds trying to kill me. That and all the 'good ol' boys'.

Jeez that place is like redneck heaven. :D

Anyway... whenever is good is good.

I took my test in Valpo. Get there EARLY. ie: be waiting for them to open the doors at 9am. Once they start testing thats pretty much it. Whoever is there at 9/10am is it. They go home around 11.

It's the Porter County Ham radio club I think. Good set of guys. Tell them the British guy sent you :p

Maybe at the next meet-n-shoot or if we're all meeting up for Turnandshoot's kydex class or w/e we can have a little ham radio thing going on.

Personally, the books are good but study study study the question pool.

AA9PW FCC Exam Practice » Amateur Radio Exam Practice

Keep taking these tests until you consistantly get a passing grade.

I think if a few of us get our ham licences (those that don't already) we could set up some kind of ham-INGO club. Or at least take over one of the local repeaters (kinda like the police use, a central base station where you talk in and can be heard over a wide area...).

There's a few in the local area, one in Mville, crown point, hammond, st john, cedar tucky, tons in Valpo. Some in the gary area too.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    EC, Highland, and Hammond also have some repeaters.
    Ok how about we try for SAT 04 FEB 2012 (we need a time) for you to give us a small demo on what this is all about before Bill B and I jump into it. But if WD says he wants to go then we have to change the date to 1 where he can't make it. Don't want no st. johnies there. :D

Anyone else? GB? Magic Man? DaveGrave? Ya are close?
    Promise that if the 5-0 comes we can just blame it all on "you people". :)

Night, night!
    -Jedi

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    But if WD says he wants to go then we have to change the date to 1 where he can't make it. Don't want no st. johnies there. :D

I was going to ask if I could attend ... it seems I have been pre-uninvited. :xmad:

So, let's get some thoughts organized and put something together.
    Current "event" ideas:
    AR build class
    Kydex holster making class
    Duracoat and finishing class
    Magpul DVD showing and file sharing social summit

Other "event" ideas (feel free to add your own)

Canning and such class
    Radio and communication class
    Water purification? (just throwing out ideas)

I know I've been turning over the idea of having a small range "clinic" day semi regularly. Something small where we go to the range and run a few drills or whatever. Nothing real formal but relaxed where you can get something out of it. Instead of the meet and shoot atmosphere where it's more about shaking hands and making noise (not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just hard to get "training" done when bacon is available).

I don't know, I'm just tossing ideas out there.
    What say you NWI?

I am interested in participating in some of these and supporting all of them.

In order of priority ...

• Kydex (PM sent already to Turnandshoot4)
    • Duracoat (willing to learn and share what I have going already ... still a newbie)
    • [STRIKE]HAM radio[/STRIKE] (already uninvited)
    • Range "clinic" (always willing to learn and shoot)
    • Outdoor activities (anything camping regardless of weather or temps)
    • Training DVD's/Books (willing to transport my stuff to any summit for those that want to sample an item before making their own purchase)

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I just emailed everyone (via NWI MSG) that was willing to let me practice my camo skills on their firearms. Check your email.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Okay I like where your head's at.

Let's put this out there.

First, if you(anyone) want in on the AR build class, Do you have all the parts for your AR? If not what do you need? No. Everything:D
    Do you have tools? (not needed but nice to have)Yes
    Do you have the know how? (again not needed)Yes
    Do you want to watch a bunch of dudes build rifles (I'm sure you're welcome too).
    Let's get a head count of who is interested, and who has what, who needs what. Then let's set a location, I know there have been some offers, my place is available too. And a date when the most can attend.
    I've got the tools and the know how. I'd be happy to help anybody n00bs with their lower builds. I've never built an upper.
    Sundays work best for me, but if it's any day other than that something earlier in the day would be better. I usually work evenings.

Now as far as the range clinic, let's throw up some ideas for what we want to focus on.

I'd like to get some constructive criticism and maybe run some different target drills. I feel I'm a descent shooter, but there's always room for improvement. Just something other than punching holes in paper and making noise. I'd be more interested in handgun than rifle, but I'd probably show up for either.:D

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    EC, Highland, and Hammond also have some repeaters.
    Ok how about we try for SAT 04 FEB 2012 (we need a time) for you to give us a small demo on what this is all about before Bill B and I jump into it. But if WD says he wants to go then we have to change the date to 1 where he can't make it. Don't want no st. johnies there. :D

Anyone else? GB? Magic Man? DaveGrave? Ya are close?
    Promise that if the 5-0 comes we can just blame it all on "you people". :)

Night, night!
    -Jedi

Sounds good. Don't think I'm working or anything.

Gives me time to install another radio in the car too :D I'll figure out a time and a place... Not sure where would be central, and I don't think the in laws would want a bunch of gun toting militia members (their words not mine, honestly) at their house LOL.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Sounds good. Don't think I'm working or anything.

Gives me time to install another radio in the car too :D I'll figure out a time and a place... Not sure where would be central, and I don't think the in laws would want a bunch of gun toting militia members (their words not mine, honestly) at their house LOL.

Mind if I join in?
    Need to see what this is all about.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom