y1Nm0sm.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    T444E being crap. That is the best v8 diesel they have ever built

Well you can't (or couldn't) resleeve the 444 engines. The V8 will never be as smooth running as the inline 6. The V8 has less torque than the inline 6 of similar size. It is more complicated and higher maintanence than the inline 6.

An inline 6 cylinder will be smoother than a V-8 due to the configuration. The cylinders fire at 60 degree intervals, with three pistons going down and three going up, which naturally balances the engine. A lot of engineers agree this is optimal. A V-8 has pistons on one bank going back and forth at angles to the other bank. Of course this is balanced by heavy counterweights on the crankshaft. As far as being rigid, anyone think an inline 6 block is not rigid???

So it might be the best V8 ever made, but it sucks compared to the inline 6.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'll balance a glass of the most expensive champagne you can afford on my Motor and we'll compare it to a 6bt.
    I'm not arguing about your personal vehicle and your personal engine. I'm looking at the typical engine. Your personal engine may be atypical, but there is no way to argue that the typical V8 444 is as smooth as an inline 6.

Can you resleeve a 444?

Can you match the torque of a similar displacement inline 6?

Does the V8 have more injectors to clog and/or fail?

International/Navistar sold that 444 as their budget engine to fleets that couldn't afford better engines. It is what it is.

:oldwise:

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Cannot resleeve 7.3, but I've never met one that needed one. Just rings and bearings. You cannot sleeve a 6bt either, that's the same Chassis class as the 444/7.3. Iirc the 444 had a lifespan of 325k. Well worth the start up cost. By time you get to that mileage the bus or truck it's in is shot anyway

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Car Topic....

Want to set up a detailing regiment for my new car, but lost in the thousands of online articles, each seeming to represent their own brand of products. Looking for some advice on a weekly/monthly routine. Thinking wash every week or two, with waxes/polishing/claybars at longer intervals, but no idea really.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    No average vehicle makes it 250+ especially in our region. My bed is rotted, my car corners are done rust everywhere. I'm lucky, my truck is twice as good shape as half of these others I see come through. There is no way a typical truck can go over 250 before it falls apart

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Car Topic....

Want to set up a detailing regiment for my new car, but lost in the thousands of online articles, each seeming to represent their own brand of products. Looking for some advice on a weekly/monthly routine. Thinking wash every week or two, with waxes/polishing/claybars at longer intervals, but no idea really.

They had an article in a magazine lately that had a spray-on clear for the front end that peels off. It's like a bra. I was looking at this b/c I have tons of rock chips that are starting to rust. I need to touch them all up and go from there.

FWIW I bought my wife weathertech floorliners for Christmas. They were a godsend this winter.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    No average vehicle makes it 250+ especially in our region. My bed is rotted, my car corners are done rust everywhere. I'm lucky, my truck is twice as good shape as half of these others I see come through. There is no way a typical truck can go over 250 before it falls apart

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Car Topic....

Set it outside, pray for rain!

My fleet ran far beyond that, often triple, and I know those who got more than I got.

Further, you are now changing the topic because you can't really defend that engine against the vastly superior inline 6 engines of the same output.

I'd put a DT 466 wet sleeve design up against the 444 for durability every day of the week. The Cat 31xx series, now the C7 series also far outclasses the 444 in every way.

The 444 can't match the bottom end torque of the inline 6 engines, which, when hauling a heavy load or pulling a big load, makes a difference.

st33da

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Greenfield
    Car Topic....

A weekly rinseless wash with a waterless wash pre-soak is ideal for maintenance. Follow that with a good quality sealant and your good to go for protection. Now if you are looking to increase gloss and clarity I would clay/decontaminate it followed by polishing it before applying the sealant. If you want more detailed info, or you want to have some hands on experience with products before you buy then feel free to send me a PM and I would be more than happy to show you some great products and proper technique.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    meh, my 89 chevy 1500 4x4 had 267k when I sold it and sure the cab corners had holes, but it was by no means falling apart. Still looked good and went anywhere I told it to go. was never parked in a garage ever either. my current 96 bmw 740il has 213k+ and is just starting to show some rust on the lower doors and rear quarter corners.
    I wouldn't say the 740 is an average vehicle, but the chevy sure was. guess I take care of them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom