• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Anything diesel is high maintenance and high costs. My oil changes are around $135. Fuel filters are about $50. You need any type of injector work on any of them and they start at $300 each. And you almost never just replace one

I owned a fleet of gas engine trucks and converted to diesel.

My experience is that diesel is more expensive up front to purchase but cheaper to maintain and cheaper to run. Especially if you run a lot of miles each year. Honestly its not worth it to buy a diesel if you are a low mileage/average mileage driver. Anyone driving under 15,000 miles a year should probably stick with gas. Anyone near, or above 20,000 miles per year should buy diesel. In between 15k and 18k and it might be a toss up.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Get a gasser. Tundra

Tundra, bad choice! I agree with Clif on that!

My first choice, especially for lighter duty and daily driving, would be the RAM.
    My distant second choice, would be the Chevy/GMC offering with the Duramax, but only if I needed to haul heavy loads or tow heavy loads on a REGULAR basis.

Honestly I like the Ford F150 the best, but no diesel option exists. Not a big fan of the Powerstroke in the larger size Fords. I can't justify a truck heavier than the F150. Just too expensive up front and too expensive down the road. But the RAM 1500 with the 3 liter diesel is practical as a daily driver and is a practical size truck for me. Unfortunately my wife HATES pick up trucks!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

My first choice, especially for lighter duty and daily driving, would be the RAM.
    My distant second choice, would be the Chevy/GMC offering with the Duramax, but only if I needed to haul heavy loads or tow heavy loads on a REGULAR basis.

Honestly I like the Ford F150 the best, but no diesel option exists. Not a big fan of the Powerstroke in the larger size Fords. I can't justify a truck heavier than the F150. Just too expensive up front and too expensive down the road. But the RAM 1500 with the 3 liter diesel is practical as a daily driver and is a practical size truck for me. Unfortunately my wife HATES pick up trucks!
    Would she actually have to drive it?

Funny, in my house it is my wife that likes pickups.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Would she actually have to drive it?

Funny, in my house it is my wife that likes pickups.

No she wouldn't drive it and no she doesn't want it on the property. But I'm thinking that I could get an old 50's era COE and make it a nice flat bed and that would be both fun and practical. Maybe even juice it up into a street rod . . . ? 1948-50 Ford COE - Hotrod

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    If you like duramax for heavy loads your Nuts. The IFS on those trucks with heavy loads shuts out quick. I've had a truck come through here that hauls and we had to weld his front diff back to the frame. Straight axle ftw.

I maintain the biggest ambulance fleet in the area, ask them how the diesels treat them. Maintenance wise.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If you like duramax for heavy loads your Nuts. The IFS on those trucks with heavy loads shuts out quick. I've had a truck come through here that hauls and we had to weld his front diff back to the frame. Straight axle ftw.

I maintain the biggest ambulance fleet in the area, ask them how the diesels treat them. Maintenance wise.
    Generally speaking I think diesels are misused here in the USA.

My 3.5 year old 2.0l diesel VW has 94,000 miles on it and should run to 300,000 miles or more while delivering fantastic economy.

The 2.5l and 3.5l diesels used by Mercedes Benz are 300,000 mile engines. Ditto the 3.0l used by Audi.

But then here we have Detroit, harbor of all knowledge that is automotive, and they take gas engine blocks and convert them to diesel. Or they make claims about vehicles that are insane. Yes, I like the Duramax better than the Powerstroke for heavy loads, but I also, as a former fleet owner, know that you should never overload your vehicle if you want long live. Our general rule with our fleet was that we would buy 20% heavier than our MAXIMUM load so we purchased our fleet with a safety margin built into it.

Your complaint about the Duramax is that the differential broke off the frame? Sounds like the guy beats the crap out of his vehicle and doesn't maintain it properly.

Here is the reality, if you need to tow 7500# on a regular basis you should buy a vehicle with a tow capacity of about 9500#; need to haul 1500# of gravel in the bed and do it every few days, then buying a base level pick up is idiotic.

Honestly I don't know how that ambulance service of yours operates, but if they are destroying their diesel engines then they have the wrong engine/drivetrain combo or they have abusive drivers. How about the school bus fleets running around the area, many are running diesels and getting great economy and low operating costs.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Dragging that camper up to Michigan after a nap (12hr nights last night) and I expect somewhere around 5mpg for the trip. Buddy that's heading up with me runs a 6L F350, towing a double car trailer (same weight, approx 7klbs) and returns 11-12mpg, and drives faster than I.

Even if you don't tow super heavy loads, if you're towing any amount of distance, the difference between a 6L gasser and a 6L diesel is huge.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    The bus fleets are generally a class 8 engine. 466, 530, ISM Cummins. Etc. We're talking light duty that is found in the pick up. Class 8 inlines run forever. The only issue now is all the DPF DOC and Urea after treatment issues. All of which are now on every pick up

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Those engines are more often used in Class 5 and 6 trucks than in the bigger Class 8 trucks.

I know a lot of busses run the 170hp Cat 31xx series engines, which a fairly light duty engines backed up with an Allison AT454 transmission. 90% of my Class 5 and Class 6 trucks used this exact set up and several bus fleets.

The International (Navistar?) DT466 is also pretty common and fairly light duty as well, its very common in school buses too.

The International T444 engine is also fairly common in school buses and lighter trucks, its crap.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Speaking of diesels... I'm going fishing tonight or tomorrow night.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
    for chaning the boring topic!!!!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    OH, now its going to be LegoS and Windows 8 tech support :stickpoke:

Anything but car talk pppplllleeeeeaaaaassssseeeeee.
    & I'll let your "s" slide in LEGO for now.

You sound fairly educated, until you said this. That just null and voided anything you said.

:facepalm: he is SOUTH of US-30 he CAN NOT be educated as that is redneck land and public schools are a 'unicorn' out there. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom