• Status
    Not open for further replies.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    correct sadclown was able to secure .22lr ammo for dnr to buy at a reasonsable price for the event.
    for a guy that does not like kids... well i said enough....

we still need another 6K in .22lr but every little bit helps

Now if the rest of us could secure it at a reasonable price the world would be a happy place.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I'm so sick and tired of this winter.

One thing I can't do in the winter (at least do efficiently) is brew beer. But, usually there's a thaw where I can hook up a hose and open the garage door and brew a batch or two. Not so far this winter...

So I've got hoses running through the house down to the basement laundry tub to bring water out to the garage, got my kerosene radiant heater burning and the door cracked a bit so I don't die with two propane burners, kerosene burner and unvented space.

Can't wait till we defrost.
    20140212_144311_zpsbc35fffc.jpg

Last edited:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I'm so sick and tired of this winter.

One thing I can't do in the winter (at least do efficiently) is brew beer. But, usually there's a thaw where I can hook up a hose and open the garage door and brew a batch or two. Not so far this winter...

So I've got hoses running through the house down to the basement laundry tub to bring water out to the garage, got my kerosene radiant heater burning and the door cracked a bit so I don't die with two propane burners, kerosene burner and unvented space.

Can't wait till we defrost.
    20140212_144311_zpsbc35fffc.jpg

Can you cook corn on the cob in there?

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Wait, a gov't agency paid a "reasonable" price for something? You must be joking. I've got a few thousand I'd sell them...

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Now that I look at the picture, is that an old beer keg with the top removed?

Yup. Bought a couple kegs a few years ago when a distributor was selling them legitimately and converted one into a mashtun and one into a boil pot "keggle". $50/keg vs $150-300+/kettle for a 15g kettle was an easy choice.

Over the last few years I've been slowly buying parts for an indoor electrically fired brewery but I think it's been at least 6 months since I've bought any pieces for it. Total cost if I bought at retail would be nearly $8k, so I've just been buying bits n pieces off the homebrew forums as people liquidate their halfway finished electric builds. I've got all the cheaper stuff, the electronic controls, switches, contactors/relays etc. Problem is the pumps, pots, and coils command near retail even on the used market so until I'm ready/able and willing to drop about $2500, it's not getting finished.

If I do finish my electric brewery, I don't want anything "cheap", it's gotta look nice. So the kettles I want (need 3) are pushing $400/ea, the coils (2) are about $150-200 ea, the pumps (2-3 depending on setup) are $150-200 ea, then the sanitary SS fittings will set me back about $500, the wort cooler is $200-400 depending on style...

So until I find some free money, I'm stuck with keggles in the garage over propane burners. All setups work the same, just some are easier to use and I'd LOVE to have an indoor setup to brew easily year round but unfortunately the cost is keeping me away for now. If it was my only hobby, I'd probably have an indoor electric setup fully automated. But, I have too many interests and they change frequently. I tend to dive in head first into a hobby, go all-out and then if it's not something I stay with, I'm stuck with equipment and expense. So with brewing I could see it would be prohibitively expensive if it turned out I didn't enjoy it. I still went head first but with caution. On the back end I have a nice setup. I can ferment about 50 gallons at a time, I can have 40 gallons (8 kegs) on tap at one time. I can bottle from the kegs, and I have a jockey box so I can take a keg with me and dispense through a cooler to have cold beer on tap wherever I want.

If it wasn't for the legal restrictions on selling homebrew, I'd be selling it to get the money I need to expand.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Yup. Bought a couple kegs a few years ago when a distributor was selling them legitimately and converted one into a mashtun and one into a boil pot "keggle". $50/keg vs $150-300+/kettle for a 15g kettle was an easy choice.

Over the last few years I've been slowly buying parts for an indoor electrically fired brewery but I think it's been at least 6 months since I've bought any pieces for it. Total cost if I bought at retail would be nearly $8k, so I've just been buying bits n pieces off the homebrew forums as people liquidate their halfway finished electric builds. I've got all the cheaper stuff, the electronic controls, switches, contactors/relays etc. Problem is the pumps, pots, and coils command near retail even on the used market so until I'm ready/able and willing to drop about $2500, it's not getting finished.

If I do finish my electric brewery, I don't want anything "cheap", it's gotta look nice. So the kettles I want (need 3) are pushing $400/ea, the coils (2) are about $150-200 ea, the pumps (2-3 depending on setup) are $150-200 ea, then the sanitary SS fittings will set me back about $500, the wort cooler is $200-400 depending on style...

So until I find some free money, I'm stuck with keggles in the garage over propane burners. All setups work the same, just some are easier to use and I'd LOVE to have an indoor setup to brew easily year round but unfortunately the cost is keeping me away for now. If it was my only hobby, I'd probably have an indoor electric setup fully automated. But, I have too many interests and they change frequently. I tend to dive in head first into a hobby, go all-out and then if it's not something I stay with, I'm stuck with equipment and expense. So with brewing I could see it would be prohibitively expensive if it turned out I didn't enjoy it. I still went head first but with caution. On the back end I have a nice setup. I can ferment about 50 gallons at a time, I can have 40 gallons (8 kegs) on tap at one time. I can bottle from the kegs, and I have a jockey box so I can take a keg with me and dispense through a cooler to have cold beer on tap wherever I want.

If it wasn't for the legal restrictions on selling homebrew, I'd be selling it to get the money I need to expand.

Nothing wrong with working within a budget.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I'm an idiot and accidentally posted my handgun in the longgun classified section. Can I move the thread myself? Help a brotha out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom