Not open for further replies.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    So I've sold some items for a new rifle. Now I'm looking for suggestions for a good complete upper for under 400. Would like to shoot 55gr so thinking 1/9 twist, A2 sight, birdcage hider, flat top, with charging handle and BCG. I would also like to find it in a 18 or 20in barrel. I'm leaning towards the spike's tactical complete lower item number stlc200-sbs. SO basically it looks like a Plain Jane AR like I used in the service.

I plan on reaching out no further than 500yds but spend most of my time at 200. I also plan on using my own reloads once I get a recipe down. Any suggestions would be nice before committing to buying so I can do some more research and since I trust this group to steer me the right way.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Psa is great for the dough, but is a 1/7 twist. Rock river may have what you're looking for but might be more than $400 and a slower turnaround.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    After doing some looking at prices on individual pieces I'm now leaning toward build your own upper. Since winter is coming up figure use some of the funds I have to buy that spikes lower, and get the upper piece by piece. Looking at the spikes upper with dust cover and forward assist for 104 or 114 on another site.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    After doing some looking at prices on individual pieces I'm now leaning toward build your own upper. Since winter is coming up figure use some of the funds I have to buy that spikes lower, and get the upper piece by piece. Looking at the spikes upper with dust cover and forward assist for 104 or 114 on another site.

If you are looking for accuracy maximize your money in the following order:
    1. Barrel
    2. trigger/fire control system
    3. free float forearm
    The above three items will get you the most accuracy. Fancy coated bolt carrier groups, billet lowers, billet uppers, exotic compensators, etc may be sexy or look tacti-kool but if you want to push past 200 yards and make small groups then you want a good/great trigger like the Pact/AR Gold, Timney, CMC, Giessle, etc systems (not a RRA 2-stage or any modified mil-spec). You want a free floated barrel. You want a high quality stainless bull barrel or heavy barrel (not a chrome lined M4 spec barrel).

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Psa is great for the dough, but is a 1/7 twist. Rock river may have what you're looking for but might be more than $400 and a slower turnaround.
    This is bad why :dunno:

Twist rate really depends upon bullet weight.

The military has been changing bullet weights over the decades from lighter to heavier weights.

Varmint shooters typically use lighter bullets. Plinkers usually use cheap surplus ammo, or discount ammo, which is typically lighter bullets. So for both a 1:9 rate might be best. Serious target shooters typically shoot heavier bullets because they are more aerodynamic with a higher B.C. and while they may drop a bit fast they tend to drift less and retain momentum. So a 1:7 rate might be best. Some barrel makers offer a 1:8 rate, which is a great compromise. But some bullets defy the normal conventions and will work well with any of the normal rates, much of that is based on the bullet shape and bearing surface.

So the twist rate needed will depend more on the intended use of the upper than on anything else.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I plan on using 1/9 since I don't plan on trying to run all my rounds thru one hole at 400-500yds. If I can get a 1-2in group at 400 I'd be happy with that.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    He said he wanted to shoot 55 grain, 1/7 would be optimal for heavier bullets. I personally like the rra 2 stage, but i'm sure there's better out there.

Oh, I think i saw your tree between the apartments tonight.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    1/7 is best with current bullets on the market... although the new Green 5.56 ammo the military is starting to use groups best with a 1/9 twist. At 200 or 300 yards chrome lining won't make any difference in accuracy but it will have to be kept clean in the chamber or it can fail to run... The BCG being in Nickle Boron or chromed is for operation not accuracy and if your going to run a standard gas pin-gent system rather than a gas piston the chamber and BCG being coated will make it run longer before cleaning. Bull barrels are heavy and aren't going to do much for accuracy at 200 yards... 600 or 700 ya thats what you want... Standard M4 heavy will hold just fine at 200 yards if it is a quality manufacturer.. Free float makes everything more accurate in the AR as the standard military forearm puts stress on the barrel and will string the shots... I'll PM you a couple that would work... I will be putting a AR build class together in the coming months... I still need some barrels for the class I'm putting on and some more butt stocks... Your welcome to come out and put it together there if you like... We will have a private range to test fire your build on after we put them together...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    He said he wanted to shoot 55 grain, 1/7 would be optimal for heavier bullets.
    OK, I missed that.

I personally like the rra 2 stage, but i'm sure there's better out there.
    RRA makes a great 2 stage military type trigger but it simply does not compare to the much better modulars or the high quality traditional triggers. They are all MUCH better.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Giselle baby....

?
    Gisele-Bundchen-gisele-bundchen-142854_500_375.jpg

gisele-buendchen-20080421-402368.jpg

Status