Not open for further replies.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    They call it the "head".
    Hang your junk over the head of the ship.

Do bubbleheads suffer from sea sickness, or just the general insanity that comes with being locked in a steaming nuclear tube for months at a time?

I just know that friends who I've gone deep sea fishing trips with were fine below deck, but the second they could see horizon, they started puking and spent the rest of the day alternating between hiding below deck and in "the head." I was nice enough to catch their fish for them though.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Do bubbleheads suffer from sea sickness, or just the general insanity that comes with being locked in a steaming nuclear tube for months at a time?

I just know that friends who I've gone deep sea fishing trips with were fine below deck, but the second they could see horizon, they started puking and spent the rest of the day alternating between hiding below deck and in "the head." I was nice enough to catch their fish for them though.

Down below PD (periscope depth) you don't really get a lot of motion.
    The deck may do "angles and dangles" but it's like being in a building that has a floor that pivots.
    Only motion I noticed was during an emergency ascent, or above PD.
    The sub is not really designed for the surface, that's not its element. So it bobs like a cork. Lotta guys may get sick.
    I was only seasick twice, and both times were on the surface in a storm so bad we were rolling 50 degrees side to side. Men were thrown outta their bunks. No lookouts. As we heeled over, waves would wash over the periscope, which was fully extended up.

I don't know how to explain an emergency ascent. Imagine riding a bubble up, real fast.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    One guy would get seasick right next to the pier, as soon as lines were cast off.
    If we were going to do a surface-op, we'd see this guy with a (slang for woman's part) - patch.
    The p-patch would be put on the neck below the ears, congest the tubes in the ear used for balance, stop the seasickness.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Hey jedi I have a message for you.
    IMG_262602477082519_zps1jcyaht8.jpeg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom