jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well enough about boring cars.
    Enjoy some LEGO photos of a Chicagoland model. These are from the LEGO Discovery Center in Schamburg, IL.
    201408_minivacation_002.jpg

201408_minivacation_003.jpg

201408_minivacation_004.jpg

201408_minivacation_005.jpg

201408_minivacation_006.jpg

201408_minivacation_007.jpg

201408_minivacation_008.jpg

201408_minivacation_009.jpg

201408_minivacation_010.jpg

201408_minivacation_011.jpg

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Jedi those seem to be lacking the realism of being in the city...

all the garbage, criminals, homeless people, gangsters from the government, etc....

those models seem way to clean for reality of a major crime center...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Jedi, I really don't care what happens in the bathroom.

And right now I want this day from hell to be over.
    But with my luck, a meteor will fall out of the sky and land on me.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The limitations on batteries will stop them from replacing gas. It will have to be some other form of fuel.

I suspect that as technology progresses we could see roads with wires buried in them that recharge electric cars while they are driving. This would be useful on interstates and extend the range of the vehicles substantially. Its interstate travel that dooms the current crop of electric cars.

The question would be the economics of installing the technology in the roads vs the benefits. Clearly lopsided today. In 50 years, maybe not.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I suspect that as technology progresses we could see roads with wires buried in them that recharge electric cars while they are driving. This would be useful on interstates and extend the range of the vehicles substantially. Its interstate travel that dooms the current crop of electric cars.

The question would be the economics of installing the technology in the roads vs the benefits. Clearly lopsided today. In 50 years, maybe not.
    You also have to weigh the benefits against the special interests that will fight such an advancement. Money speaks in government.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    if anyone's interested, i have 8 tickets left for this. i'll be gone today/tomorrow, but back tomorrow night, just let me know if you wan't any and how many. thanks!

BC49B0DE-FE7D-4EF6-A489-789629BB3282_zps1anxtkvi.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You also have to weigh the benefits against the special interests that will fight such an advancement. Money speaks in government.

Why do you think there would not be money?
    More people needing electric cars means more batteries, an infrastructure, upgrading existins infrastructures, etc.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Why do you think there would not be money?
    More people needing electric cars means more batteries, an infrastructure, upgrading existins infrastructures, etc.
    That isn't what I said. I said that special interests with big money would fight having it done. I can't see electric cars getting popular enough to drive something like that, it would have to be done first. That isn't going to happen while the oil companies have the money to pay off the politicians to make sure it doesn't happen.

Private enterprise won't be able to do that, because it would be on public roads.

The only solution I can see that would make electric cars viable for long trips would be to find a way to VERY quickly charge the batteries. Something along the lines of stopping for gas at a gas station. If they can do that, then maybe electric cars will work.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Pulled a 5 gallon bucket of goodies out of the garden today. I make a concoction of "Mixed Sweet Pickles & Veggies" that sort of varies with what comes out of the garden when we are ready to do some canning. Typically its some combination of pickles, peppers, onions and cauliflower. I don't have any onions ready to can so this batch won't have onions inside them. But I have some purple cauliflower and some golden yellow cauliflower in addition to traditional white cauliflower so those will add some color to the jars. And I love sweet pickled cauliflower!

Pickles are still dirty and sitting in a pile. Probably have a 5 gallon bucket of those.

But I have white, yellow and purple Cauliflower heads that are cleaned up but need to be separated into smaller chunks. Total of 5 heads are ready, 3 while, then 1 of each of the two colored cauliflower varieties.

Got a nice pile of sweet red Bell Peppers cleaned and cut into halves. They will have to be cut again into strips before we put them into the jars. Maybe about a gallon of those are ready to go.

The yellow Hungarian mildly hot peppers are cleaned and also halved. Depending on the size, they will probably be cut again, but some of the smaller ones are already good to go. For this batch I will be pretty light on the Hungarian peppers, the plants produced a lot already, we are getting far fewer fruits off the plants lately. Have maybe a quart, possibly a bit more, but not much more.

The spicy red-hot Pimentos are all cleaned and cut into canning size pieces. Don't really need too many of these, maybe have a bit less than a quart of these and that is going to be plenty to mix in. They are so damn hot that they burn your hands so you clean those while running water and cut them to size the first time because you don't want to mess with them again. Hell it sometimes gets hard to breath while standing over the sink cutting those ... wife won't do it so the job is relegated to me because I'm the one who insists on canning them. OH, DO NOT touch your face/eyes after cleaning those until you have washed your hands 17 times, or more. :n00b:

All of the above will be canned up tomorrow??? Or Monday??? Depends upon the weather. But since its nice and sunny and hot outside right now so the lovely Mrs_Bob is relaxing at the pool.

But earlier this morning we made up 3 gallons of sweet & sour "refrigerator pickles & onions" and in a couple of days of sitting in their sugar/vinegar solution they should be good to eat. That is my addiction. I can eat those instead of a meal.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom