• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    May parents still live on Atchison. I get to visit the old stomping grounds every now and then.

My inlaws had the house right across the street to the south on the corner.
    Only times I was inside Sportsmen's Corner was as a kid, back when it was still OK to take your kids into bars (probably wasn't legal, but nobody cared) I remember pickled eggs and pickled pigs feet in jars on the bar.

We moved out in the 1960's but my grandparents still lived there for many more years. Eventually they passed and the ownership of the apartments went to my dad and my uncle. I think my cousins sold the buildings a few years ago??? I've got other relatives still living in town. Elderly Aunt and Uncle, plus some cousins all on dad's side of the family. One cousin from mom's side also has a house in Whiting.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    Only times I was inside Sportsmen's Corner was as a kid, back when it was still OK to take your kids into bars (probably wasn't legal, but nobody cared) I remember pickled eggs and pickled pigs feet in jars on the bar.

We moved out in the 1960's but my grandparents still lived there for many more years. Eventually they passed and the ownership of the apartments went to my dad and my uncle. I think my cousins sold the buildings a few years ago??? I've got other relatives still living in town. Elderly Aunt and Uncle, plus some cousins all on dad's side of the family. One cousin from mom's side also has a house in Whiting.

A lot of changes have been made in whiting. Sherman's and geferts hardware are no longer in business. Sherman's is a pizza place now. The lakefront park is being redone. The old filtration plant is gone, now there's a semi-pro baseball stadium there. Spebars where they filmed a scene in the movie Rudy is gone. 119 th st. storefront are slowly being redone.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I was at midtown the night before the the shooting there a few years ago. That and another incident turned me off of the bar scene out there completely. Hawks games that are not on my TV are the only thing that will get me in a whiting bar now.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I was at midtown the night before the the shooting there a few years ago. That and another incident turned me off of the bar scene out there completely. Hawks games that are not on my TV are the only thing that will get me in a whiting bar now.

I hear ya. I was there one time when a guy got a beatin in the head with a cue ball. They thru both guys out, and then later on that night the guy that got his head beatin came back in looking for the other guy. And they thru him back out again.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I get tired of this gang banning things and making up rules just to screw with people and put them in a position where they have to pay into a system that is just there to take their freedoms away and make money off them.....

Well thats my rant, now off to work to make sure I bring enough in to pay them their 57% in taxes so I can think I'm free for another day......

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom