• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Last year Melen volunteered with the Wake Forest University Ambulance Service and they suggested that she become a licensed Emergency Medical Technician if she really wanted to do some good. So this summer she has been taking classes to get her multi-state license.

Yesterday she took her final written exam, passed it with an "A"

She just called the house about 15 minutes ago, she was taking the 'practical' part of the exam (hands on skills demonstrations) and also passed that part with flying colors!

So now she has to take the multi-state license exam and it will all be official.

Not sure what her ultimate plans are, but she is going to school following a pre-law study program and has been talking about entering law school to study Maritime Law. Volunteering for the Ambulance Service is sometihing that she loves to do, but it doesn't really fit into her career plans. I wonder if her career plans will veer off into something medicine related? If so, fine. If not, fine. I'm just glad she is finding things that she really enjoys doing and volunteer work is not a bad thing to do.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Spudgunr;5213279]I'm looking for a pickup in NWI, preferably somewhat close to portage or I94, but not necessarily. I got a new job and will be moving to western Michigan, probably going to get an apartment at first and come home on weekends, so I figured I'd get a pickup to move all my stuff (unless somebody has a different idea of how I could move a 600lb mill and a 9" and 10" southbend lathe).

I'm HOPING to find something $2-3000, but can do more if necessary (and I wont go over $5000). Not TOO many miles, I'll be driving it 100+miles each way when I go, so I'd really like to keep it under 160k unless somebody can convince me that isn't needed. Basically, I don't want to have to work on it for at least 5000 miles, and even then, I'd prefer to not have to work on it in 15,000.

Automatic so wife can drive it. Ideally it'd be extended cab, long bed, 4WD, but I think I may be starting to put too many restrictions on for my price range. Any hints on what to look for when buying one. Anyone have one they've contemplated getting rid of?

If its toward the $2000 end I would take a single cab short bed 2WD, though really would want the extra capacity of the long bed. This won't be my primary vehicle once I'm moved, so I can deal with some rust and dents, I just don't want a rusted out, racoon infested POS.

Do you want to buy a truck just to move?
    You can rent a truck and/or trailer.
    I'd loan you my trailer, but it's kinda in pieces now.

I think I'm going to pass a kidney stone this weekend. Been a while since I've done that. Makes for some excitement in the worst way.

That SUCKS!!!!

I would probably stop drinking soda.

Make sure to take pictures and start another stone thread/revive the old. Some of the newer folks may not have seen the old one.

I don't think it's the sodas so much as colas.

Why do you suffer so much from this?

Cause it's NOT enjoyable. Duh

Just prone to having them, body can't tolerate calcium, which is in many foods, over time it builds up and I get a stone. I seem to pass about 1 a year, as my water intake as shot through the roof over the past few years I've not had to go to the hospital for most of them. Used to go once a year, every year, get hooked up to a morphine(?) drip and pass a big stone and/or have lithotripsy. Now I think I wash most of them out before they get big.

Because you want to scare people?

Not really too much of an issue for me. I drink mostly water, less a few diet pepsis per week, and more often than not if I am going to drink a diet pop it is probably going to be a diet citrus soda, which the article says may actually reduce the incident of kidney stones.

I've had good luck after modifying my diet.
    They say what's worse is what combines with the calcium, not the calcium.
    For me, it was eliminating chocolate and colas.

Nah, I just sit here and wait for someone to come up to the counter and ask me a question.

Sometimes work is just waiting.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    FWIW, I think I got my first kidney stone shortly after meeting Jedi.

Oh, and I think I passed the stone. I've got some pretty strong pain in my right kidney, but no more pain in the side or the groin. Usually after I pass a stone it feels like I got hit in the kidney with a baseball bat. That is what it feels like now. Its such a relief to ONLY have that pain.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Last year Melen volunteered with the Wake Forest University Ambulance Service and they suggested that she become a licensed Emergency Medical Technician if she really wanted to do some good. So this summer she has been taking classes to get her multi-state license.

Yesterday she took her final written exam, passed it with an "A"

She just called the house about 15 minutes ago, she was taking the 'practical' part of the exam (hands on skills demonstrations) and also passed that part with flying colors!

So now she has to take the multi-state license exam and it will all be official.

Not sure what her ultimate plans are, but she is going to school following a pre-law study program and has been talking about entering law school to study Maritime Law. Volunteering for the Ambulance Service is sometihing that she loves to do, but it doesn't really fit into her career plans. I wonder if her career plans will veer off into something medicine related? If so, fine. If not, fine. I'm just glad she is finding things that she really enjoys doing and volunteer work is not a bad thing to do.

Congrats to her

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My mom fell today at the hospital while she was volunteering. She didn't break anything, but her butt is going to be sore. I'm really glad that I'm going to be working from home/close to home. I think it's just a matter of time before she has another serious fall. :(

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    My mom fell today at the hospital while she was volunteering. She didn't break anything, but her butt is going to be sore. I'm really glad that I'm going to be working from home/close to home. I think it's just a matter of time before she has another serious fall. :(
    maybe talk her into wearing one of these?:):
    bubble-wrap-suit_zpsdd4e329d.jpg

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    messican food! after we run to thugland to buy a new gun. if the world feel's off axis, it's cuz T-star and I will be north of 169th!! for as little time as possible..................................

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom