• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Not to mention, I don't even know how one chooses the powder for a given application. Looks like I'll be doing some reading tonight.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not to mention, I don't even know how one chooses the powder for a given application. Looks like I'll be doing some reading tonight.

If most of your shooting is casual shooting, then logically most of your loading will be casual loading, typically to save money versus the cost of buying. IF so then it makes it pretty simple to pick the powder, find ANY powder that is available and can be safely used in the specific cartridge, then use that one!

If you want to use the same powder for multiple calibers then it becomes more complex. Some powders are great for 9mm, some are great for 45acp. Most will not work in both cartridges. But a few will. That requires all sorts of cross referencing research, and then lots of searching for specific powders. Buying SEVERAL different load manuals from BULLET and/or POWDER companies is essential when you are getting started. There is all sorts of critical information in those big thick manuals.

But there are also smaller load books, caliber specific. I find them incredibly useful. They are only available for some common calibers but they are great little reference books, quick guides, lots of powder/bullet combinations/recipes but WITHOUT all the important information you get from the powder/bullet manufacturers. LINK => http://www.loadbooks.com

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    If most of your shooting is casual shooting, then logically most of your loading will be casual loading, typically to save money versus the cost of buying. IF so then it makes it pretty simple to pick the powder, find ANY powder that is available and can be safely used in the specific cartridge, then use that one!

If you want to use the same powder for multiple calibers then it becomes more complex. Some powders are great for 9mm, some are great for 45acp. Most will not work in both cartridges. But a few will. That requires all sorts of cross referencing research, and then lots of searching for specific powders. Buying SEVERAL different load manuals from BULLET and/or POWDER companies is essential when you are getting started. There is all sorts of critical information in those big thick manuals.

But there are also smaller load books, caliber specific. I find them incredibly useful. They are only available for some common calibers but they are great little reference books, quick guides, lots of powder/bullet combinations/recipes but WITHOUT all the important information you get from the powder/bullet manufacturers. LINK => Loadbooks USA, Inc.

Good to know. I'd really only be doing .223/5.56 and .45 ACP to start out with. I'll borrow/buy some literature and go from there.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Buy a LOAD BOOK for each caliber. They run them at sale prices from time to time at MidwayUSA and a few other places. They are only SUPPLEMENTS but they are great reference guides. Then go buy 2 or 3 full (expensive) manuals from someone like SPEER, HORNADY, SIERRA or HOGDEN POWDER, etc. If you are pinching pennies, then you can skip the LOAD BOOKS, but you can NOT skip the big manuals.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Buy a LOAD BOOK for each caliber. They run them at sale prices from time to time at MidwayUSA and a few other places. They are only SUPPLEMENTS but they are great reference guides. Then go buy 2 or 3 full (expensive) manuals from someone like SPEER, HORNADY, SIERRA or HOGDEN POWDER, etc. If you are pinching pennies, then you can skip the LOAD BOOKS, but you can NOT skip the big manuals.

Something like this?

Www.amazon.com/dp/B00A95QWGM/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_YyU2tb019P6AQ0DG

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yes cabelas sells this and the single caliber ones at the store as well.
    Wait for a Coupon and get them there.
    Also public lib will have abc of reloading its a good read to start off with.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI

In reality, unless you are loading Match Grade rifle ammo, I don't know if I could say reloading is worth it anymore, price of ammo is coming back down, while the price of reloading components has stayed high.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    In reality, unless you are loading Match Grade rifle ammo, I don't know if I could say reloading is worth it anymore, price of ammo is coming back down, while the price of reloading components has stayed high.

Shop around and you can still get many components at good prices but you often have to buy in bulk, delivery charges and hazmat fees on some components can make it cheaper to drive to pick up goods.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    @DK did it have a static IP entered?

I'm still loading .223 for .20. I own the lee and Lyman books, I like the lee way better.

The lee classic turret is 1 round every 4 pulls, where a progressive is 1 for 1.

@Brad If someone can vouch for you, I'll give you a run through. My wife won't let me invite over strange men I meet on the internet. :laugh:

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    completely disagree. I'm still reloading .45 for $12 or less per 50. 9mm for $8 or less. .380 for the same.
    Well, I hugged jedi at the meet and shoot. Please don't hold that against me.
    did you feel like you were walking a poodle?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

I can reload 9mm for about the same price as the garbage 115gr on the shelf. I am not really shopping for any amazing deals on components either. My ammo is generally cleaner and more accurate.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom