• Status
    Not open for further replies.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Was 3.5 days into a stretch of 7 days off when I got a phone call reminding me that I picked up some overtime Sunday night. Really didn't want to go in, but I already signed my name to the slot. Been awake 26 hours now. Can't decide if I should take a nap now, or just stay up all day and go to bed early tonight. Either way, my day's shot. Not that the weather's cooperating anyhow.

I do have a serious question though. Any over the road truck drivers in here? A friend of mine made an awfully tempting proposal and I'm not sure if it's even halfway valid. He told me his brother drives a tanker, one year in, and is pulling down 140k/yr but on the road 200+ days/yr with a hotel and food allowance in a company truck. Sounds too good to be true. I have two bachelors degrees, was going to be starting the master's program at PUC, but this seems like it may be more lucrative without taking on additional debt. I think I'd be okay with being on the road that much, but that's the second part of my question.

One - can you really get a six figure income driving a company truck? And two: is being on the road harder than I think it is?

Mind you this is temporary. Couple three four years to pay off some debts. Can't seem to find secondary employment that is flexible enough to make it work, and not enough overtime currently to make any headway.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I don't know, but I'd hate it. If you like driving, it might not be so bad. I would think also that time=money in a job like that, so how much you make might depend on how far you are willing to push speed limits, sleep deprivation, etc.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I don't know, but I'd hate it. If you like driving, it might not be so bad. I would think also that time=money in a job like that, so how much you make might depend on how far you are willing to push speed limits, sleep deprivation, etc.

I don't mind driving. I drove Class B for a while, but only local.

I have no problem driving (a passenger vehicle) long distances. Have never set foot in a class A

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Was 3.5 days into a stretch of 7 days off when I got a phone call reminding me that I picked up some overtime Sunday night. Really didn't want to go in, but I already signed my name to the slot. Been awake 26 hours now. Can't decide if I should take a nap now, or just stay up all day and go to bed early tonight. Either way, my day's shot. Not that the weather's cooperating anyhow.

I do have a serious question though. Any over the road truck drivers in here? A friend of mine made an awfully tempting proposal and I'm not sure if it's even halfway valid. He told me his brother drives a tanker, one year in, and is pulling down 140k/yr but on the road 200+ days/yr with a hotel and food allowance in a company truck. Sounds too good to be true. I have two bachelors degrees, was going to be starting the master's program at PUC, but this seems like it may be more lucrative without taking on additional debt. I think I'd be okay with being on the road that much, but that's the second part of my question.

One - can you really get a six figure income driving a company truck? And two: is being on the road harder than I think it is?

Mind you this is temporary. Couple three four years to pay off some debts. Can't seem to find secondary employment that is flexible enough to make it work, and not enough overtime currently to make any headway.
    I call B.S. with the new hours of service laws it would be almost impossible to make that much money legally. Using the 70hour/8day rule, the most driving time he could have in a year is 3200 hours (rounded up). If he average 50mph for those 3200 hours it would be a total of 160,000 miles. Is he getting paid a dollar a mile for driving a company truck? I doubt it. What if he takes an extra day off instead of just the federally mandated time off?

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Cliff's potato proclamation made me laugh, and reminded me of this:

ching-chong-potato.jpg

Figured posting it in that other thread might be inappropriate. Possibly inappropriate here...

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks for the link. My post was not to find the item for sale but more to learn about how it works.
    I find it fascinating on how 'machines' like that can work and the mechanical and software side of things.

Wonder if it's possible to make it with steel plates so you can hear the "ping" instead of just the paper. Would image the motor/arms would need to be a bit stronger.

Would you let us use your place if we brought you one. :whistle:

Put down the legos and get an arduino. Then you can make us one for the M&S.

You would have to get some beefy linkages to deal with the steel stopping a bullet.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Thanks for the link. My post was not to find the item for sale but more to learn about how it works.
    I find it fascinating on how 'machines' like that can work and the mechanical and software side of things.

Wonder if it's possible to make it with steel plates so you can hear the "ping" instead of just the paper. Would image the motor/arms would need to be a bit stronger.

Would you let us use your place if we brought you one. :whistle:
    You would want the rednecks to pay for it and then as a typical thug, you would expect to be able to use it whenever you wished.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Sweet, bring the mindstorm prototype to the next M&S. We will let you know what we think. Remember, paper targets only, no steel.
    :shoot:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You would want the rednecks to pay for it and then as a typical thug, you would expect to be able to use it whenever you wished.

Duh!!! I alresy see the 1st NWI INGO 'tax' being worked and voted on. Yup by a vote of 1-0 I think it will pass.
    PORTER COUNTY residents to pay for it, SOUTH LAKE COUNTY residents to supply parts, NORTH LAKE COUNTY residents to use it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom