Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You are paying for another mat :( I know my son wants one so it will be under the Christmas tree for him.

:nono: YOU (lonehoosier) may be paying for another mat (in terms of shipping). Jedi is not sure he will actually hit the button and buy it. Jedi has skipped on deals where the price of the item is low (real low) but the shipping is through the roof.

--edit--
    They don't sell this locally or from another vendor? ebay?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    :nono: YOU (lonehoosier) may be paying for another mat (in terms of shipping). Jedi is not sure he will actually hit the button and buy it. Jedi has skipped on deals where the price of the item is low (real low) but the shipping is through the roof.

--edit--
    They don't sell this locally or from another vendor? ebay?
    If I remember correctly the shipping was the same when they sold for $50 and $100 as far as finding it somewhere else I don't know. I really like this mats because of the size of them and how easy they are to carry around.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Shipping does not change becuase the price of the item changes. The physcial size of the item is what is going to cause the shipping to change.
    How much is the shipping anyways for this item.

yes too lazy to look it up. :rofl:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    My take on the shooting mat is if you use one enough it is going to be a consumable like ammo... It has a short life because of the damage it will receive when compressed between me and the rocks or whatever is tearing up the other side of it.... Soooo there fore a light weight sleeping mat that is cheap enough to not care about fills the bill....

I think the surplus guy that shows up to the Crown Point show had them for 8 bucks last show.

That mat from midway looks nice and if you got it spend it but ......

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    A lot of the durability will depend upon the material used for the bottom layer.

Heavy denier nylon will easily outlast the lifespan of a couple cheap foam sleeping pads, but will come at a higher cost.

The other factors to consider are the thickness and the stability/density of the type of foam used. Some will be far more comfortable than others. Some will be more durable than others. Also look at the features of the 'shooting mat', does it have beefed up wear points, extra padding in specific areas, pockets or is it simply a glorified roll?

I like the gun cases that turn into shooting mats, one less thing to carry.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I would agree with that Melensdad... I do have a Voodoo Tactical rifle backpack that turns into a mat and it's very nice. Keeps all my stuff for that rifle in one place. I will also say I like it as a range bag and not for using with my BOB or going Prairie Dog Hunting. As it is too hard to get in and out of for hunting etc...

Last edited:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Shooting mats/pads are nice to have if you are on gravel, stone, or concrete. However, these surfaces are what cause the aforementioned wear on the underside of the mat. Gravel and stone will chew right through a sleeping pad in just a few sittings and if you are prone to stepping on your mat, probably in a single use. The higher end shooting mats will have the reinforced undersides and slip resistant contact points on top. However, even the high end mats will take a beating on stone/gravel. I think the cheapest option for stone/gravel is a piece of carpet turned upside down.

Other things to consider when using a barrier between you and the ground: Will it catch any precipitation and funnel it to the lowest point on the mat (usually where you are located)? The same goes for spent brass, mats tend to catch spent brass and roll it right to the lowest point (usually where your elbows or knees are positioned). That's not a problem if it is cool out and you are dressed warmly. In which case the clothing will protect you from hot brass. Speaking of temps, in the summertime dark colored mats become incredibly hot in the sun. The shooter is usually under dressed and this can lead to uncomfortable situations at best ... first degree burns at worst.

Then there is shooter vanity. If you just don't want grass stains, dirt stains, or mud stains on your clothes ... by all means, get a mat. That's mostly why I have a mat. For the Appleseed shooters that have to have one or (as in this weekend) when you absolutely must have something between you and the crushed stone/gravel on the ground.

maddawg138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    La Porte
    got me an early christmas present in the mail today in the terms of 4 free AR Mags + cleaning kit. yah i had to buy an AR in order to get it....but still worth it!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom